Why doesn't Daenerys get a Westeros history lesson?

Samwell Gnarly

Most of the history of Westeros that Daenerys has learned is from her brother, Viserys. The narrative she learns from her brother is extremely biased while the info she gets from Jorah and Whitebeard conveniently omit the Mad King factor of Robert's rebellion. I understand why Viserys gave her an incomplete history lesson, but why doesn't Jorah and Whitebeard tell her the truth like, "Hey, i know they overthrew your house and tried to wipe out your entire family, but your dad was a total psycho douche who definitely needed to bounce"? It would do her good to get a different perspective on things right?

Well, Dany is tot a girl who would be talked to like that without reacting. She would get angry or think they are insulting her father. Or she would listen without believing. However, I think Jorah doesn't want to tell her because he thinks it will do no good to let her know about it, and anyway, she would keep on believing Robert an usurper. She wouldn't stop claiming the Iron Throne for that, and the ones who are with her want her to succeed. Plus, nobody would like to tell a girl who never met her parents that her father was an insane king who wanted to set King's Landing on fire.

• 3 months later...

Yeah; Viserys filtered anything from their history that would make the Targaryen's seem bad or weak in Daenerys' eyes, to convince her to follow him and help him rule The Seven Kingdoms. But the snippits of true infromation she get's from, lets say, Jorah Mormont are only small peices of the big picture. For a true history lesson and to learn more about the kingdoms she is intent on concouring, a Maester of The Citadel would be best--as her followers probably only know the most common of Westerosi history themselves. She needs an actual teacher, so she can know how to appease the people and learn their strengths and weaknesses.

Or they could all be lying. She will know many more betrayals before the end... :devil:

I believe that Dany's history lessons will come from a person we have already met in Game. Why Martin chose not to use Mormont is anyone's guess. He does give her hints about he family, but he or she annoyingly never follow up.

She may get interested in Westeros's history when the conquering time gets nearer. Then she may ask Ser Jorah, Or maybe Ser Barristan will do it (he had served Danys's father and her grandfather before him, so he may know a great deal of the modern westerosi history). Those are her only westerosi advisors by the time, and her best hope to find out about her family's past from a more neutral vew.

• 1 month later...

It's not Dany's fault that she's missing many parts of Westeros' history. Apart from Visery's accounts, Jorah and

Barristan

have hinted at many events and facts and Dany was more than eager to listen to them and learn. Why they didn't elaborate, only GRRM knows.

I'm sure she'll learn more in time and that will greatly affect her. I cannot speculate from whom, but I think it will be important. Sometimes it doesn't matter who the persons involved in a story are, but who's narrating the story.

The two people best suited to telling her are Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan: both of whom are unsuited to testing the boundaries of their sovereign's moods. Ser Jorah is too in love with Dany to risk her ire by telling her things she doesn't want to hear, and Ser Barristan is too accustomed to keeping the secrets of the king he guards.

Dany will eventually find out what she needs to know, but only when someone who isn't afraid to get in a king or queen's face joins her retinue. Based on the way things were left in ADWD, there are a few people headed her way that would fit the bill. It's just a question of who GRRM decides to make his expository character.

The two people best suited to telling her are Ser Jorah and Ser Barristan: both of whom are unsuited to testing the boundaries of their sovereign's moods. Ser Jorah is too in love with Dany to risk her ire by telling her things she doesn't want to hear, and Ser Barristan is too accustomed to keeping the secrets of the king he guards.

Dany will eventually find out what she needs to know, but only when someone who isn't afraid to get in a king or queen's face joins her retinue. Based on the way things were left in ADWD, there are a few people headed her way that would fit the bill. It's just a question of who GRRM decides to make his expository character.

Also Jorah wants to return to Westeros... why piss off the lady on whose back he is returning :P

Archived