So if the Show catches up with the Books

Would you watch the final season, if you haven't read the last book. i mean it looks pretty much like, they will catch up and they know how it will end, so even if they make bigger changes than they already have made, we (unfortunately) would be able to predict what will be going down in the last book. i know it would be hard for me, not to watch and to get away from all the informations/ spoilers, i mean i even hate it when i read theories in here, that i hadn't known, but can't stop visiting the forum.

aaah, that will be hard for me.

so what about you? how will you handle it?

I think it would suck if this was to happen. But i can also see GRRM switching up the final book and taking his time if its inevitable that he wont finish by the time the show catches him. I also believe that if the show continues to go well they might add a prequel season out of respect for GRRM to finish his final book.

I really believe the show will end the series. Martin will not be able to complete it in print.

After reading book 5, I have to agree. Also, go read his "not a blog" on his website. It's all about the show and about other projects he's working on. To me, it seems like he is DONE with the novels.

I won't watch past what's printed. I don't even really watch the show as it is, I mostly just watch for the fight sequences. If they lap the books that will be it for me, I may go back and watch them all when the books are done but not before.

Well, let's say TWOW is published in 2014 I'm an optimist) and the existing books take three more seasons. That would give GRRM two years to finish ADOS.

I think it depends on how long I would have to wait for the last book. If, say, more than a year, then I wouldn't be able to evade spoilers anyway. But if GRRM was nearly done... I'd wait. I'd prefer finding out the ending through pae rather than screen.

I would be angry.

I hear you. I've been angry since end of book 4. To me, book 3 was amazing. Even a second read through was just as exciting as the first time. Books 4 and 5, rather than advance the plot, seemed to make it more complicated. Now he's in a hole that's too big to dig out of. He has to end it via TV. Already he's "fixing" things. Example: Robb's wife is dead. No chance of her running off with the Blackfish to birth the next king in the north.

I think it would suck if this was to happen. But i can also see GRRM switching up the final book and taking his time if its inevitable that he wont finish by the time the show catches him. I also believe that if the show continues to go well they might add a prequel season out of respect for GRRM to finish his final book.

I read an article recently and basically Martin was open to stalling the show either with a break or a Dunk & Egg season. The HBO execs didn't see how that could work with actor contracts and the child actors aging.

I hold out hope that The Winds of Winter will come out before or right as the season covering that book starts. I think the reality is that the show is going to finish first, one way or the other. Either they end the show at the end of TWoW and finish up with two or three HBO movies or they just press on with the final season. Maaaybe HBO would hold off airing the last season for a year, but not more than that.

That's what I'm hoping for if the Show overtakes the books. Roberts rebellion would be great to watch but there would be complications- R+L=J being revealed too early and ruining the surprise and different actors being used to play characters we associate with the actors cast in Game of Thrones.

After reading book 5, I have to agree. Also, go read his "not a blog" on his website. It's all about the show and about other projects he's working on. To me, it seems like he is DONE with the novels.

That is going pretty far. The man actually has other projects, other interests and this thing called a life. There is no way he's done with this series but periodically other artistic, personal or professional endeavors might take him away from it.

I'd stop watching, yes - though it's going to be tough avoiding spoilers. By the way, it would be before the last season most likely, especially if they're still shooting for 8.

Archived