Boarders Writing a Novel, Part 9

Gabriele

So the book (well... Probably a book, may end up being too short to be a book, uncertain) I am writing is a High Fantasy (Orcs, Dwarves, No Elves though) setting, only with Early Modern (1600-1700's) technology instead of High Medieval technology. I am still working out the kinks, and I've figured out a lot of it just by keeping myself restrained to a smaller region of the world. I just want to start off by asking if this sounds interesting? I am still working at pulling off the world at large and establishing it well enough, but I am proud of the work I have thus far regarding worldbuilding.

I just need help with actually getting chapters written down. XD

So the book (well... Probably a book, may end up being too short to be a book, uncertain) I am writing is a High Fantasy (Orcs, Dwarves, No Elves though) setting, only with Early Modern (1600-1700's) technology instead of High Medieval technology. I am still working out the kinks, and I've figured out a lot of it just by keeping myself restrained to a smaller region of the world. I just want to start off by asking if this sounds interesting? I am still working at pulling off the world at large and establishing it well enough, but I am proud of the work I have thus far regarding worldbuilding.

I just need help with actually getting chapters written down. XD

Hey, Maegor. Great to hear you're thinking of writing a fantasy. I really love the early modern era too. It's hard to say whether this would be an interesting story without information about the plot or characters. I know everyone does it their own way, but for me, these are the two big things that drive my writing. I tend to world build around them.

Hey, Maegor. Great to hear you're thinking of writing a fantasy. I really love the early modern era too. It's hard to say whether this would be an interesting story without information about the plot or characters. I know everyone does it their own way, but for me, these are the two big things that drive my writing. I tend to world build around them.

Well, it's really (at the moment) a simple plot, I am still developing it and working it out (too shy to do it as-is. >.>) but I meant more along the lines of: Have you really seen this done before? Done successfully?

Basically, for the characters, I am working with the formula of a simple narrator/point-of-view character, and more dynamic non-point-of-view protagonists. Here's what I mean:

The character I have, a young-ish Pirate Captain with magical abilities that only few have due to his parentage (Father was a human, mother a siren), but he's a cautious, cynical, and ultimately content with his situation. On the other hand, his twin sister is far more dynamic and ambitious. She'll be the one mostly moving the plot along, with her brother there to give her advice and give the readers context to the situation. I am still getting a working list of characters up (I don't know how GRRM does it. I have a list not even a twelfth of his own list and I am running on fumes for getting characters and their roles. >.>) but that's the philosophy I've been working with.

I just want to say how thrilled I am to read everyone sharing their ideas and being comfortable enough to do so. Best of luck to everyone, no matter what stage you're at.

After a very encouraging evening (:cheers:) I'm feeling ready to have at it tomorrow. Going to make some changes, create some scenes, and really just let my mind run wild. Also wrt characters, I pretty much do what Jaime's Wench does - I have a basic idea of what they're going to be like, but I tend to let them develop as I go along. Whether this works or not remains to be seen, but I find it's the easiest way to do things. I also changed the development and direction of a particular character simply because I had an idea while writing a particular scene, and then went back and made the appropriate changes. I find it kinda fun - these characters are yours to do with what you will, you can change your mind all you like and just go wild. Some things work, some things don't, but I personally think that if I can't laugh at myself a bit when it goes wrong, and if it's not fun when it goes right, I need to step away from it for a while. It shouldn't be a chore, as hard a slog as it can be.

Well, it's really (at the moment) a simple plot, I am still developing it and working it out (too shy to do it as-is. >.>) but I meant more along the lines of: Have you really seen this done before? Done successfully?

Basically, for the characters, I am working with the formula of a simple narrator/point-of-view character, and more dynamic non-point-of-view protagonists. Here's what I mean:

The character I have, a young-ish Pirate Captain with magical abilities that only few have due to his parentage (Father was a human, mother a siren), but he's a cautious, cynical, and ultimately content with his situation. On the other hand, his twin sister is far more dynamic and ambitious. She'll be the one mostly moving the plot along, with her brother there to give her advice and give the readers context to the situation. I am still getting a working list of characters up (I don't know how GRRM does it. I have a list not even a twelfth of his own list and I am running on fumes for getting characters and their roles. >.>) but that's the philosophy I've been working with.

I would say you have a good start here. I'm intrigued by the siren cross human, since sirens are supposed to kill their victims. Also, why twins? I'd be weary of having one too content and easy going, and the second as a guide for him. You need to establish a key conflict for them both that will drive the plot. Don't worry too much about secondary characters yet. They'll fall into place where needed.

I just want to say how thrilled I am to read everyone sharing their ideas and being comfortable enough to do so. Best of luck to everyone, no matter what stage you're at.

After a very encouraging evening ( :cheers:) I'm feeling ready to have at it tomorrow. Going to make some changes, create some scenes, and really just let my mind run wild. Also wrt characters, I pretty much do what Jaime's Wench does - I have a basic idea of what they're going to be like, but I tend to let them develop as I go along. Whether this works or not remains to be seen, but I find it's the easiest way to do things. I also changed the development and direction of a particular character simply because I had an idea while writing a particular scene, and then went back and made the appropriate changes. I find it kinda fun - these characters are yours to do with what you will, you can change your mind all you like and just go wild. Some things work, some things don't, but I personally think that if I can't laugh at myself a bit when it goes wrong, and if it's not fun when it goes right, I need to step away from it for a while. It shouldn't be a chore, as hard a slog as it can be.

My characters change direction all the time. It's quite annoying sometimes, when I have a plan in mind for them. It's happened a lot with my most recent novel. But to me, it's all about the journey you take with them and no good journey is without its surprises.

My characters change as I go along. For example, I had a clear-defined arc for a character named Cantus. He was a not-so-bad guy in a bad place, working with the antagonist (who's not a clear-cut villain himself). Cantus was supposed to die in that organisation and bad place, betrayed by his own colleagues, but my imagination went wild and he just ended up commiting several treasons and switching sides, and in the final battle of that partiular story of Ensekyrai he fights side by side with the main protagonist. Losing control of your own story in such a way is one of the things that makes writing so much fun for me.

What I've found effective is to simply plot out the first POV and then have the other characters entire story centered around what happens in that POV. Their responses, their feelings, their thoughts all deriving from that core. It really helps flesh out pacing and consistency issues.

I would say you have a good start here. I'm intrigued by the siren cross human, since sirens are supposed to kill their victims. Also, why twins? I'd be weary of having one too content and easy going, and the second as a guide for him. You need to establish a key conflict for them both that will drive the plot. Don't worry too much about secondary characters yet. They'll fall into place where needed.

My characters change direction all the time. It's quite annoying sometimes, when I have a plan in mind for them. It's happened a lot with my most recent novel. But to me, it's all about the journey you take with them and no good journey is without its surprises.

Indeed.

Does the character come before the book, or the book before the character? Book every time. :P

I must admit, my characters seem to form pretty quickly, it is only on occasion that I have to stop and think, 'would s/he really do or say that?' but usually I have a pretty decent vision for them (main characters) before I begin to write in the first place. I like to let my idea brew in my thoughts for a few weeks before I actually begin a project.

Anyone doing camp NaNo this July? I was happy with how much I got done in April, but after that my progress ground to a halt. I'm hoping to use this month to kick-start the creative process again.

I am. I've already killed multiple characters. *sigh* I was expecting them to die but I had thought they would stick around a bit longer. Now I can start writing Kaydan's descent into madness (he's not really dealing with his sister's death) and Ebby discovering that the god of death has been replaced by an imposter. Maybe if I'm really lucky the major plot-line will crawl forward a step or two as well but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

My character's write themselves most of time although I do need to prod them in the right direction occasionally. They usually prod back and carry on doing their own thing. At least I can claim that I'm not to blame for the horrible situations that they find themselves in although this does result in me having to do massive rewrites from time to time. This is what happens when you don't plan anything, well I did have some plans but they got derailed pretty quickly. As long as Kaydan doesn't go too crazy everything will be fine(ish), if he does go too crazy then I may have to repopulate the entire pantheon.

I am. I've already killed multiple characters. *sigh* I was expecting them to die but I had thought they would stick around a bit longer. Now I can start writing Kaydan's descent into madness (he's not really dealing with his sister's death) and Ebby discovering that the god of death has been replaced by an imposter. Maybe if I'm really lucky the major plot-line will crawl forward a step or two as well but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

My character's write themselves most of time although I do need to prod them in the right direction occasionally. They usually prod back and carry on doing their own thing. At least I can claim that I'm not to blame for the horrible situations that they find themselves in although this does result in me having to do massive rewrites from time to time. This is what happens when you don't plan anything, well I did have some plans but they got derailed pretty quickly. As long as Kaydan doesn't go too crazy everything will be fine(ish), if he does go too crazy then I may have to repopulate the entire pantheon.

how central are the characters killed? Is there Gregor Clegane level brutality?

The idea in my lore is this: A human who is taken captive my a Merfolk is magically forced to become a Siren, a woman who sits upon the rocks and lures sailors to their deaths. The main character's father, in a moment of sheer pirate badassery, managed to bob and weave his way, in the smallest of ships he could get, to her and well, make babies. I had them as twins because this'd be a one time event, and I wanted to have the brother-sister combo.

There is a major plot driving them forward, and it's a basic "kill the dragon" plot only with a phoenix, and have pirates instead of knights. I don't want to get too deep into the plot, because I am still ironing out the details.

how central are the characters killed? Is there Gregor Clegane level brutality?

One of them is a POV character (Ebby) and now has to fix the whole God of the Dead is an imposter mess, hopefully before her brother goes completely off the deep end. The other one is the guy who killed her and, despite the fact that I still don't know his name, has been the protagonist for a large part of the story.

Nope, nothing like Gregor Clegane brutality. Ebby got shot in the back and drowned in her own blood. Nameless was burned, cut, dehanded (I'm sure there is a better word for that but I can't think of it right now), partially eaten and stabbed with a soul destroying sword more or less all at once. Umm I may have to revise my earlier statement. Like I said Kaydan is really not handling his sister's death well.

My coauthor and I were told we couldn't have a fantasy book with a female protaganist, and even if we could she had to be a Hot Chick, also a virgin, blah blah.

That's just bizarre. The (sequel) novel I'm currently working on has a female protagonist, and she's more an academic and social snob than the classical Hot Chick (she's a sort of Sansa Stark meets Sam Tarly). She also has a very healthy sex life.

That's just bizarre. The (sequel) novel I'm currently working on has a female protagonist, and she's more an academic and social snob than the classical Hot Chick (she's a sort of Sansa Stark meets Sam Tarly). She also has a very healthy sex life.

I don't know how I'll approach sex in my novels. The characters are mostly upper teens an in a facility for higher learning. Realistically, they'd be sexually active for the most part since, even though religion will be in the series, not every character is going to subscribe to a religion that demands celibacy, if any at all.

I'm not sure how far to take the sex in my book.

One story does involve a rapist, and another a drunken threesome, but I think I'm going to tell instead of show. With the latter, I'm planning to do the morning after, with the three waking up in the same bed.

There are several sexual relationships but I'm not sure how much to show...

I just realized that I might be able to toy wth this. Ensekyrai is thirty books across 300 years, in total, and I could do that the early, more medieval-like tales are much more free in sex, while it later becomes a sort of taboo and in essence retrace the path of of our sexual revolution, but maybe reversed. This might be fun.

One story does involve a rapist, and another a drunken threesome, but I think I'm going to tell instead of show. With the latter, I'm planning to do the morning after, with the three waking up in the same bed.

I just realized that I might be able to toy wth this. Ensekyrai is thirty books across 300 years, in total, and I could do that the early, more medieval-like tales are much more free in sex, while it later becomes a sort of taboo and in essence retrace the path of of our sexual revolution, but maybe reversed. This might be fun.

Sex is important, especially in Fantasy, in my opinion at least. Most motives are driven by sex in some capacity. Be it, for the love of a lady, or because they want to prove themselves the biggest alpha, it all comes full circle back towards sex. Don't be afraid of it. Write it, see how it comes out. You may surprise yourself.

I just have foreplay and consequences in mine. Watching my character's have sex is unnecessary for the plot and I have no idea how to write it. In any case the motivations and after effects are, to me at least, much more interesting. I think it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else. I don't mind reading it but there is a limit to how much I can read before it just gets to be too much (I had to reach for the brain bleach after reading Anne Rice). Just write what you're comfortable with, you have 30 books planned so you can always revisit the scene in a couple of years.

I just have foreplay and consequences in mine. Watching my character's have sex is unnecessary for the plot and I have no idea how to write it. In any case the motivations and after effects are, to me at least, much more interesting. I think it's more a matter of personal preference than anything else. I don't mind reading it but there is a limit to how much I can read before it just gets to be too much (I had to reach for the brain bleach after reading Anne Rice). Just write what you're comfortable with, you have 30 books planned so you can always revisit the scene in a couple of years.

I think I'm going to go with your approach. I'm 15 and a virgin so I really wouldn't know how to write seks scenes except for copying existing ones.

And I ever actually reach the 30th book, I'll die a happy man :D

Archived