Boarders Writing a Novel, Part 9

Gabriele

Okay, I narrowed the Ensekyrai series down some more, as some stories could be merged. I'll include a list for good measure.

Bolded means a finished first draft, in italics means that I'm working on a finished first draft. The BBE/ABE means 'Years Before/After Battle of Enta Crusho', which takes place in The Sinners Rising, which was the first story I came up with.

The Ensekyrai series:

THE KINGDOM FALLING (312 BBE-310 BBE)

THE DETHRONED (307 BBE-299 BBE)

THE STAND FOR TOMORROW (? BBE)

THE EMPIRE BURNING (? BBE)

THE STREETS (85 BBE)

THE TALES OF VALKYRIS (47 BBE)

THE BLOODLINES (29 BBE)

THE SINNERS RISING (0 BBE)

THE APPRENTICE (2 ABE)

THE WAR FOR E'CRONO (4 ABE)

THE CONQUEST (6-8 ABE)

THE ASTESTI (18 BBE-10 ABE)

THE GREY ORDER (7-9 ABE)

THE STANDS AND THE STORMS (10 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part One (20-21 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part Two(22-24 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part Three (25 ABE).

Which brings is to 17 books, 337 years... though I might always add books.

The Ensekyrai series will never be fully finished, but it's fun to work on it.

ETA: I deleted the one-sentence summaries for the books, those will just be a meaningless jumble of words for you

Finally published my novel, "Ritual of the Stones" today. It has been a hard slog but to see it up on Amazon fills me with pride. Right on to book 2.

Downloaded the sample, looks good! Congratulations, always good to see someone succeed! :cheers:

Downloaded the sample, looks good! Congratulations, always good to see someone succeed! :cheers:

Excellent, thanks for the support. if you do buy it, I love for you to review it.

Finally published my novel, "Ritual of the Stones" today. It has been a hard slog but to see it up on Amazon fills me with pride. Right on to book 2.

:bowdown: Well done, I've downloaded the sample so I can read it when I'm not falling asleep at my computer. I may possibly be just a little bit jealous that you managed to get to this point.

Excellent, thanks for the support. if you do buy it, I love for you to review it.

I'm sure I will, for 2 quid you can't go far wrong! I'm only holding off because I have a huge stack of books to read, but I shall push this to the top of the pile :D

:bowdown: Well done, I've downloaded the sample so I can read it when I'm not falling asleep at my computer. I may possibly be just a little bit jealous that you managed to get to this point.

Thank you. It wasn't easy but it was worth it - regardless of what happens next. I think the biggest thing that surprised me is writing the novel is only half the battle.

I'm sure I will, for 2 quid you can't go far wrong! I'm only holding off because I have a huge stack of books to read, but I shall push this to the top of the pile :D

Really appreciate that. I am making a note of all of the people that buy the book now and then you guys can be my beta readers next time!!

Awesome, snikt5 - Great to hear you got to the point of publishing your work and I shall take a look at your sample.

First of My Name - Your ideas sound ambitious in scope. Just be careful not to let these ideas run away from you, otherwise you'll find it difficult to relate these ideas to your reader. Plus you need to edit your first book over and over if you want to be published. I would LOVE to get on with my Book 2 of the trilogy I am writing, but there's no point until I've finished editing Book 1 properly.

I've had 24 hours in London and during that time finished reading my manuscript. Barring a few niggles, I'm pleased with how this edit reads... the ending seems to be partway toward being sorted out.

First of My Name - Your ideas sound ambitious in scope. Just be careful not to let these ideas run away from you, otherwise you'll find it difficult to relate these ideas to your reader. Plus you need to edit your first book over and over if you want to be published. I would LOVE to get on with my Book 2 of the trilogy I am writing, but there's no point until I've finished editing Book 1 properly.

Thank you for the advice. I am fully aware of the insane scope and ammount of work, but as of now I'm just writing for the fun of it, which is why I'm more moving forwad into new territory then treading water, if you catch my drift. When I really start focusing on getting published, I will need to do loads of editing, but I think this is a good thing as my prose will probably be much better a few years from now.

ETA: And if I have never said it in a previous post, good luck with your trilogy.

Congratulations, Snikt5 and Expecto Patronum. :) JW, I hope you're feeling better about things in general now you've had some space from school to think about writing...

Sitting here trying not to rethink some of the reasons behind, and hence some of the work I still need to do to, Sailor's plot (essentially the person who planned it all - altering it doesn't change the characters' experience but it would need to change the readers' experience). That way lies madness, rewriting and delays. At least I should get it to beta-ing stage before pulling it to bits - other people might like the way it currently runs, and, as mentioned, it isn't a massive thing for the characters.

That's a funny one. Readers generally tend to associate the protagonist's skin colour with their own, unless it is otherwise specified. This can be played with: Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys has an all-black main cast - they're just never described as such, since being black is the default, and any white characters are specified as having white skin.

Mmm, I do this as well. Sailor has four white characters.

I just spent the last day of my holiday reading this and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I just spent the last day of my holiday reading this and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Brilliant. So happy you enjoyed it. I think you are the first person to finish it! If I ever get famous you will have the honour of saying that.

If I could be so bold as to ask you to review it on Amazon. I'd really appreciate it - every little helps.

Congratulations, Snikt5 and Expecto Patronum. :) JW, I hope you're feeling better about things in general now you've had some space from school to think about writing...

Sitting here trying not to rethink some of the reasons behind, and hence some of the work I still need to do to, Sailor's plot (essentially the person who planned it all - altering it doesn't change the characters' experience but it would need to change the readers' experience). That way lies madness, rewriting and delays. At least I should get it to beta-ing stage before pulling it to bits - other people might like the way it currently runs, and, as mentioned, it isn't a massive thing for the characters.

Thank you! I do feel better for having done no work all weekend... though I may regret it this week. Your position with Sailor sounds similar to mine. I've taken up suggestions of my last beta to a certain degree but not fully and I now need to give it out and see if what I've done works. Always hard to tell what is just one person's opinion and what is going to be a general opinion when you've had so few people read the whole thing.

Jaimes wench, from memory youve rewritten chapter 1. Feel free to resend this to me, no point me critiquing the previous version if it's changed.

Will do, thanks. I don't think I've ever rewritten or edited a chapter as much as this one, and still I'm not happy with it.

Okay, I narrowed the Ensekyrai series down some more, as some stories could be merged. I'll include a list for good measure.

Bolded means a finished first draft, in italics means that I'm working on a finished first draft. The BBE/ABE means 'Years Before/After Battle of Enta Crusho', which takes place in The Sinners Rising, which was the first story I came up with.

The Ensekyrai series:

THE KINGDOM FALLING (312 BBE-310 BBE)

THE DETHRONED (307 BBE-299 BBE)

THE STAND FOR TOMORROW (? BBE)

THE EMPIRE BURNING (? BBE)

THE STREETS (85 BBE)

THE TALES OF VALKYRIS (47 BBE)

THE BLOODLINES (29 BBE)

THE SINNERS RISING (0 BBE)

THE APPRENTICE (2 ABE)

THE WAR FOR E'CRONO (4 ABE)

THE CONQUEST (6-8 ABE)

THE ASTESTI (18 BBE-10 ABE)

THE GREY ORDER (7-9 ABE)

THE STANDS AND THE STORMS (10 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part One (20-21 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part Two(22-24 ABE)

THE DAY FOR MARTYRS, Part Three (25 ABE).

Which brings is to 17 books, 337 years... though I might always add books.

The Ensekyrai series will never be fully finished, but it's fun to work on it.

ETA: I deleted the one-sentence summaries for the books, those will just be a meaningless jumble of words for you

Just out of curiosity, how much of each novel do you have summarized? For example, do you have a simple three act structure for each? Do you know where your characters are at the end of the series, and how that correlates to the beginning? Personally, I never like to guesstimate the size of a particular story/series until I know...well, quite a bit about how the little moving parts are going to work out. Basically, what's forcing you to make this series take place over 337 years?

To be fair I've missed the last couple of pages, so if I'm being ignorant just let me know.

EDIT: Also how long are the first drafts you've completed? What made you start from somewhere in the middle-ish, rather than the beginning? How long do you intend each installment to be?

For what it's worth, I'm not one to question someone's writing methods in the slightest. Whatever works for you, works for you, and more power to you for it. I'm just curious, I suppose. Also, according to your profile you're fifteen years old. How long have you been writing?

Archived