Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

Via James Hibberd over at EW, the first major casting of season 4 of Game of Thrones has been revealed: Prince Oberyn Martell will be played by Chilean actor Pedro Pascal. From the article, here’s Benioff and Weiss on the casting:

“This was a tough one,” say showrunners David Benioff and Dan Weiss about the casting. “The Red Viper is sexy and charming, yet believably dangerous; intensely likable, yet driven by hate. The boys love him, the girls love him, and he loves them all back. Unless your last name is Lannister. We found a fellow who can handle the job description and make it seem effortless. He wasn’t easy to find and he won’t be easy to stop.”

Visit the Site!

I think he looks great. The biggest hurdle is hoping that DnD (and the other writers) actually write and portray the character the way he is in the book. Which as we know...is certainly a crap shoot. If they ruin one of the best characters in the series I'll never forgive them.

And before anyone comes in here saying "he's not middle eastern" or "he's not dark enough", just stop right there. GRRM has stated Dorne is inspired largely by Spain.

Doubtless, many people are going to say that he doesn't look right for the part, that a more Arabic looking actor should have been hired perhaps! Personally, I think he'll look great with a bit of make-up and perhaps a dodgy wig to go with it! And to anybody who starts panicking about the casting, remember that there were people on Winteriscoming.net who thought Maisie Williams was a bad choice!! Anyway, can't wait to see Pedro Pascal in action, I'm sure he'll be excellent.

I think he looks great. The biggest hurdle is hoping that DnD (and the other writers) actually write and portray the character the way he is in the book. Which as we know...is certainly a crap shoot. If they ruin one of the best characters in the series I'll never forgive them.

And before anyone comes in here saying "he's not middle eastern" or "he's not dark enough", just stop right there. GRRM has stated Dorne is inspired largely by Spain.

Correction: he's stated that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain. The Moors were North Africans.

Archived