Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

I think he looks great. The biggest hurdle is hoping that DnD (and the other writers) actually write and portray the character the way he is in the book. Which as we know...is certainly a crap shoot. If they ruin one of the best characters in the series I'll never forgive them.

And before anyone comes in here saying "he's not middle eastern" or "he's not dark enough", just stop right there. GRRM has stated Dorne is inspired largely by Spain.

THIS. All the complaints I've seen have been that D&D are "whitewashing" the show. I'm pretty sure the fandom has exaggerated how dark-skinned people from Dorne and as you said, Dorne is largely inspired by Spain.

And before anyone comes in here saying "he's not middle eastern" or "he's not dark enough", just stop right there. GRRM has stated Dorne is inspired largely by Spain.

Yes, he has but the show creators can change those aspects as they like. I'm sure he'll do a good job, but I'm not gonna lie and say that as a POC that I'm a little disappointed that it looks like D&D are not taking this opportunity to add a little more color to the cast. And please don't say, but he's Latino - that's an ethnicity, not a race. But it's just something you sort of have to roll with as a fan of this genre. So, oh well.

I hope he does a good job. I've never heard of him.

Correction: he's stated that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain. The Moors were North Africans.

True. But since they occupied much of Spain for eight centuries, especially the south (Al Andalus) and the Med coast, one imagines that much of what we latterly describe as "Hispanic" is at least in large part "Moorish"...

True. But since they occupied much of Spain for eight centuries, especially the south (Al Andalus) and the Med coast, one imagines that much of what we latterly describe as "Hispanic" is at least in large part "Moorish"...

He's also stated Wales and Palestine as an inspiration for Dorne. Wales seems a bit strange haha.

Haven't any of you watched The Good Wife? He does not have much of a role in that one, and it's very far removed from anything he will do on GOT but I think it could work. He was perfectly okay in the good wife, though he did have a fairly small role.

Correction: he's stated that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain. The Moors were North Africans.

The Moors were the medieval Muslim inhabitants of Morocco, western Algeria, Western Sahara, Mauritania, the Iberian Peninsula, Septimania, Sicily and Malta.

The Moors called their Iberian territory Al-Andalus, an area comprising Gibraltar, much of what is now Spain and Portugal, and part of France. There was also a Moorish presence in present-day southern Italy after they occupied Mazara in 827[1] until their last settlement of Lucera was destroyed in 1300

I suppose the closest real life equivilent to that would be the Moorish influence in parts of Spain. So you could say Dorne is Wales mixed with Spain and Palestine with some entirely imaginary influences mixed in. Or you could just say it's Dorne....

-GRRM

It's a mix. Dorne =/= middle east.

I believe it's actually Tony Kushner's adaptation of a 17th century French play, L'Illusion Comique, and yes, stage acting for such a role tends to be deliberately theatrical and unrealistic.

ETA: Ah, and I guess I might add what seems to have been his Blogspot page, which he seems to have used as a writing blog, throwing up bits of poetry and fiction.

He's also stated Wales and Palestine as an inspiration for Dorne. Wales seems a bit strange haha.

Well my husband is Welsh... Dark hair dark eyes and pale skin and when we go to Spain, and we go often he's frequently mistaken for Spanish by the Spanish... Not inconceivable that the Celts had something to do with that... And yes, apparently there were Celts in parts of North Africa too...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celts

Archived