Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

Wow, that's not even remotely close to how I pictured the Viper. I really thought the Martells were a good chance to spice up the cast and present a unique and different culture from what we've been used to through the first 3 seasons. Pretty disappointed but won't really judge until I see the final product.

Correction: he's stated that Dorne is inspired by Moorish Spain. The Moors were North Africans.

Italy also found themselves integrated with Moorish blood. Sicilian skin is darker because of it, as would have been Moorish Spain, but not anywhere near extremely dark shades.

I think this guy is perfect as far as ethnicity goes. Dorne is going to be a melting pot of modern perhaps slightly darker shade of Spain/Italy/Greek, and I think they nailed it honestly.

Looks a bit too young, I think. That above vimeo link is terribly distracting too,

Ahck, I'm intrigued, but a little pessimistic, hoping to have my doubts obliterated.

What I always wanted for Oberyn was gravitas, subtly commanding his scenes with an unspoken swagger. I think they're going to take him down the young, roguish route for the show which is... eeehh,

Awesome!

Don't think I've seen any of the actor's work, but just excited to see the character cast.

Wouldn't say he looks "exactly" how I pictured the character, but that's irrelevant really. They're not going to find someone who looks like everyone's image of Oberyn. He's close enough.

What ultimately matters is the quality of his acting anyway. Haven't seen any of the guy's work but I'm sure D + D thought long and hard about this one so I have faith. The show hasn't put a foot wrong when it comes to casting.

Actually glad they've cast someone who isn't instantly recognizable, and not one of the obvious choices that people were suggesting.

He's about 4 years younger than Oberyn in the books. A bit of a surprise, in the sense that generally they've aged adult characters up anywhere from 5 to 25 years, but I don't think it's hard to believe he's in his 40s.

He's about 4 years younger than Oberyn in the books. A bit of a surprise, in the sense that generally they've aged adult characters up anywhere from 5 to 25 years, but I don't think it's hard to believe he's in his 40s.

Having skimmed his imdb page with some of the newer pics in his profile, he does look a bit older in some (though still rather fresh-faced with others).

You could be on to something when you mention them ageing up the characters in the show. For this reason I was most definitely expecting an Oberyn with a bit of silver in his hair.

I'm sure he'll grow on me.

I'm sure he'll be very good, but to be honest I'm a little disappointed. I thought the Red Viper would be a perfect opportunity for D&D to cast a black actor in a major role in the show. I know Dorne is Spain-like in the book, but they could've changed to Africa-like and have all the Dornish characters be black. The show sure could use the diversity.

They'd have some difficulty with Young Griff, I think, if they went darker than a typical Mediterranean sort of look. So maybe they're thinking that far ahead when they decided on what they needed to cast.

Not sure why diversity = black? I don't think there has ever been an East Asian on the show and they make up most of the world population. Black doesn't usually fit with the setting, barring Summer Islanders anyway.

On the casting, not a big fan at first glance. Probably spoiled from seeing Oded Fehr get pumped on this forum, who looks perfect for the Red Viper.

He looks good, but as with any casting looks only count for a part of the character. I hope he can act the part well, though Nina Gold hasn't (in my opinion) faltered yet on casting so I doubt there's anything to worry about. Very excited for further announcements.

I'm more concerned with the writing.

The acting from the first three seasons has been largely fantastic. Whenever the show fails, it is typically due to the writing.

Archived