Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

He looks like a cross between Barry Pepper and Rupert Friend. I think he is good-looking yet strong and interesting looking enough to be the Viper. And he is not handsome in the classic sense.

I have to wait until I see longer hair, facial hair, and Dornish coppery, disky armor on him.

Not what I expected for a first glimpse, but we may be surprised.

as others have said, I pictured Oded Fehr when reading the books.

Just have to wait and see - he could look the part and shit the bed for portrayal or knock it out of the park. They've basically been spot on for casting, so no reason to think this is a miss.

as others have said, I pictured Oded Fehr when reading the books.

Just have to wait and see - he could look the part and shit the bed for portrayal or knock it out of the park. They've basically been spot on for casting, so no reason to think this is a miss.

So i wasnt alone in the Oded hope. Thats nice to know.

But now im actually rather crushed. I think i hoped for Oded Fehr a little too much. Or at least someone who has a similar look. I hope Mr. Pascal can pull it off. But i just...dont think he really looks the part. Lets hope he can play the part with the same level of charisma that Oberyn needs. I dont know this actor, or his work so i cannot speak about his ability.

I definitely think so. I just hope they retain his bisexuality.

IIRC there were suggestions of Oberyn being very 'open' with his sexuality, but I'm worried DnD are going to take this way too far in an attempt to create a fabricated story line =/

IIRC there were suggestions of Oberyn being very 'open' with his sexuality, but I'm worried DnD are going to take this way too far in an attempt to create a fabricated story line =/

Oberyn was a bisexual, it was stated in one of the Tyrion chapters.

ETA: That is if the criteria for being bisexual only involves sexual attraction, since we haven't seen him emotionally attached to any men because we only see him with Ellaria, so we cannot properly identify him as one, unless GRRM confirmed it.

I don't care how far they take it, to be perfectly honest. They have a lot of making up to do after the mess they made of Renly and Loras' characterisation, and especially after erasing Xaro Xhoan Daxos' homosexuality.

I don't care how far they take it, to be perfectly honest. They have a lot of making up to do after the mess they made of Renly and Loras' characterisation, and especially after erasing Xaro Xhoan Daxos' homosexuality.

They also still will need to do a good job with JonCon.

I can see Oberyn's role including the bisexuality. Especially with flirting with Jaime or some shit. If they dont show a scene with Oberyn and his paramour with another dude, i can certainly see him mentioning that his pendulum swings both ways.

I predict we will have some hot on-screen male-on-female-on-male action between Oberyn, Ellaria, and a member of the Dornish retinue.

This could work.

At first glance, not what I had in mind, but then again, I imagined Viggo Mortensen as the Viper :P

I honestly don't care about the whole diversity issue, I just care about his acting chops.

Casting wise, let's hope this is more Maisie Williams than Ciaran Hinds

Casting: You didn't even try.

Though after Mighty Whitey Dany, I am not that surprised that they didn't even try to cast someone with a darker skin for a more significant role.

And how is Young Aegon an excuse for the whitewashing? If he doesn't have any seemingly Dornish features, that could actually be a lead that he is fake. Or if he has Dornish features, then I guess they just would have to cast a guy that fits instead of an Aryan boy. It is not an excuse at all.

As for casting I don't get this big trust towards them, while there were some great casting choices, there were many flops as well.

For everyone who is unhappy with the cast, had anyone told you that this guy would be a kick ass sell sword who's scenes with Tyrion are some of the best the show has given us, all we'd hear is how terrible DnD are and how much they are ruining the show/book/story/characters

He looks close enough to the Oberyn I imagined except he's pretty darn white.

This photo actually gives me hope. Hes swarthy there and even a little smug. Which is Oberyn's whole thing. Since Dornish peeps were inspired by Moorish and Spanish, i didnt expect a very brown person, so im not sure why theres complaints here. Especially since Mr. Pascal is Chilean.

“Dornish culture has Andal origins, but is influenced by the mass immigration of the Rhoynish people who settled in Dorne during the Rhoynar Invasion… The Rhoynar were a slender people with smooth olive skin, black hair and dark eyes. Their impact on the Dornish gene pool is strongest along the coast, and grows faint farther inland.”

Archived