Oberyn Martell Cast

fireandbl00d

So your problem is that they cast an Hispanic actor to play an Hispanic role; and being the only Hispanic actor cast so far, he adds less diversity than changing him to be a black actor, because we've already had a couple of those.

I neither know nor care what the US census office does; the guy is clearly Hispanic (as in, of Iberian origin). Last I looked Chile isn't in Northern Europe; and I've yet to see a photo of this guy looking "white".

For clarity, I'm using the English language as used in England; it's entirely possible that words mean slightly different things Stateside

Who said its a Hispanic role? Its fantasy, and GRRM's descriptions of character looks have been ignored all the time. And Iberians are about as white as the rest of Europe, just a slight variation in tone. Hence, why so many Hispanics identify as White; because on its own its not really a separate ethnicity. Hispanics can be white, black, Native American, and probably other ethnic groups as well. A fact that is widely acknowledged, hence the US Census citation.

I'm all for Hispanic actors being in the show, but their presence alone does not stop the whitewashing. Westeros is the size of South America, that's plenty big enough for there to be more people than just shades of white.

He bought me with that look to Catelyn at the table at the RW... It was brilliant.

Haha, that look, his scene with Jaime, and his "forever young" comment about Robb made him my favourite character on the show. And to think I found him uninteresting in season 2!

Haha, that look, his scene with Jaime, and his "forever young" comment about Robb made him my favourite character on the show. And to think I found him uninteresting in season 2!

The writing was bad in Season 2, and that's why he was so uninteresting. If we had book Roose on TV, then the actor would preform superbly and no one would ever find him uninteresting.

Janina Gavankar fits the description of the Salty Dornish and looks exactly like Lady Nym according to GRRM. Moreover, Lady Nym is only half Salty Dornish and half white, implying that Oberyn is at least as dark skinned as she is, but most likely darker.

Because its more important to cast an actor that fits the role well and can have his look changed in a minor way to match the character, rather than find a guy who looks exactly the part but won't pull it off as well. Oberyn is a challenging role. He has very little screen time and needs to convey a wide range of emotions in little time, and also needs to get the audience to love him in that limited time. It's not easy at all, the character is so great in the books that he could very well fall flat if not done perfectly.

And you're still ignoring the fact that the actress you linked is not at all olive skinned because your knowledge of non white people seems to extend as far as "They're all similar shades of brown so why not call a half Indian half Dutch girl olive skinned."

The books describe the Dornish as speaking Common with a "drawl". I wondered if perhaps the actors cast to play Dornish would speak with a different accent - maybe an American accent.

I note that Pedro Pascal speaks English with an American accent. Perhaps he can do a convincing British accent like Peter Dinklage does, but PD is a native English speaker

Since when was Dinklage's accent "convincing"? I see a lot of criticism about it, and I personally find it incredibly jarring. But then again I do admit to thinking he's vastly overrated.

Because its more important to cast an actor that fits the role well and can have his look changed in a minor way to match the character, rather than find a guy who looks exactly the part but won't pull it off as well. Oberyn is a challenging role. He has very little screen time and needs to convey a wide range of emotions in little time, and also needs to get the audience to love him in that limited time. It's not easy at all, the character is so great in the books that he could very well fall flat if not done perfectly.

And you're still ignoring the fact that the actress you linked is not at all olive skinned because your knowledge of non white people seems to extend as far as "They're all similar shades of brown so why not call a half Indian half Dutch girl olive skinned."

"Olive skin" is literally just an olive undertone. White people can have olive skin, and people of colour can have olive skin. Janina Gavankar - regardless of whether you personally think she qualifies as "olive skinned" - was told by GRRM that she looked like Lady Nym. So either your view that she is not olive skinned is not held by GRRM, or GRRM was using the term "olive skinned" very loosely in his descriptions.

The casting for Oberyn was presumably very wide. Unlike the rest of the cast they were (hopefully) not looking for specifically English or white actors, in which case the casting pool was far wider meaning they probably found loads of talented people who could pull off Oberyn. So your excuse is bullshit. It would have been easy to find a darker skinned actor who could pull off the role AND look the part without needing a tan (or, as some people have actually suggested, the racist use of brownface).

I note that Pedro Pascal speaks English with an American accent. Perhaps he can do a convincing British accent like Peter Dinklage does, but PD is a native English speaker

Eh, Dinklage's accent is a bit iffy(pay attention to how he pronounces "girls"). I saw an audition video of Pascal's, and from what I could gather, his American accent is pretty convincing, perhaps even more than PD's.

So your problem is that they cast an Hispanic actor to play an Hispanic role; and being the only Hispanic actor cast so far, he adds less diversity than changing him to be a black actor, because we've already had a couple of those.

I neither know nor care what the US census office does; the guy is clearly Hispanic (as in, of Iberian origin). Last I looked Chile isn't in Northern Europe; and I've yet to see a photo of this guy looking "white".

For clarity, I'm using the English language as used in England; it's entirely possible that words mean slightly different things Stateside

Hispanic does not mean of "Iberian origin"; it just means Spanish-speaking and refers to a very wide ethnocultural group.

Jesus Christ, give it time and see how the actor performs before you write him off. I remember the same thing happening with Michael McElhatton after season 2, with people saying that he looked and acted far too normal for Roose Bolton. But after season 3, many people were singing his praises.

This. The amount of complaining here is just... stunning, to say nothing of the unseemly arguments about just how "white" or non-white someone has to be for a certain role.

Perhaps he can do a convincing British accent like Peter Dinklage does, but PD is a native English speaker

:laugh:

Dinklage gives it a good try, but he mostly sounds more mid-Atlantic or, at best, a sort of American take on presumed British affectations in speech. I suppose that's still a lot better than Natalie Portman in V for Vendetta, to say nothing of her wonky Amidala/Padme accent.

Yeah, Peter Dinklage's accent is...shaky, to say the least. At times he sounds like he's going for a Shakespearean type thing, others he sounds like Eddie Izzard, with some words his American accent comes through...But with a performance as strong as his, who am I to complain? If Pedro puts in a performance half as good as Dinklage's I'll be perfectly happy. And in any case, if he isn't particularly great, it's not like it's a major role, he'll only really be in 3 scenes (unless they pump up his role).

Curious about the "Dornish Drawl" on the show. The only "drawl" that comes to mind is a Southern United States accent, but that might seem out of place.

Eh, Dinklage's accent is a bit iffy(pay attention to how he pronounces "girls"). I saw an audition video of Pascal's, and from what I could gather, his American accent is pretty convincing, perhaps even more than PD's.

Hmm, I'd rather he just spoke with his natural accent. The Dornish are supposed to sound distinct from the rest of Westeros anyway.

Yeah, Peter Dinklage's accent is...shaky, to say the least. At times he sounds like he's going for a Shakespearean type thing, others he sounds like Eddie Izzard, with some words his American accent comes through...But with a performance as strong as his, who am I to complain? If Pedro puts in a performance half as good as Dinklage's I'll be perfectly happy. And in any case, if he isn't particularly great, it's not like it's a major role, he'll only really be in 3 scenes (unless they pump up his role).

Curious about the "Dornish Drawl" on the show. The only "drawl" that comes to mind is a Southern United States accent, but that might seem out of place.

He's certainly going to be in more than three scenes. We have his arrival to King's Landing, his appearances at Joffrey's wedding, his place as a judge on Tyrion's trial, possibly rejecting Tywin's offer of marrying Cersei, offering to fight for Tyrion, and then actually fighting for Tyrion. And then there are plenty of other potential scenes, probably including a brothel scene (this is D&D we're talking about).

probably including a brothel scene (this is D&D we're talking about)

Hahahaha, in between bisexual Oberyn, bisexual Ellaria, and D&D's established fondness for brothel scenes, I bet there's totally going to be a brothel scene. That's not a spoiler, just a guess, but

Pixie Le Knot, the contortionist from Episode 3, confirmed a while ago that she was coming back for Season 4. I figured she might be one of the entertainers at the wedding, but a brothel scene with Oberyn and Ellaria is more likely.

others he sounds like Eddie Izzard

Someone on Tumblr described Peter Dinklage's English accent as Eddie Izzard doing a James Mason impression. Hahahaha.

It would have been easy to find a darker skinned actor who could pull off the role.

D&D in that little blurb about Pedro Pascal said that "It wasn't easy to find him." Maybe it's just standard talk for talking up the new cast members, but maybe it wasn't easy to find an actor--dark-skinned or otherwise--who could pull off the role. If Oberyn is going to have a gay sex scene--not that he will, but he might, it sounds like his bisexuality is going to be front and centre--that might explain why it was hard to find an actor, since I imagine that would reduce the pool of actors up for the part pretty significantly.

Besides for a few instances, Dinklage generally does a good job with the accent. Have to wonder what they're going for with the Dornish, but as long as it's suitably distinct from the others, I'll be okay with it.

As for the casting itself, usually they've done a good job with it, so I'll remain hopeful.

My thoughts? With Littlefinger largely absent from KL next season there has got to be a new focus for the intrigue and sexposition :drool: , that's going to be Oberyn. Pedro has a chance to make a real impact, let's hope the writings up to it and he seizes it with both hands, and anything else that comes to mind...

IDK if it's true but from what I've read on ONTD is that he was only born in Chile. He sounds American because that's where he's been most of his life. He went to Tisch apparently. I also heard he isn't a good actor but I didn't bother to watch the video that was posted.

Personally, I would have preferred a darker Oberyn, but if the actor can pull it off, I'm willing to overlook it. My main problem with choosing a paler person, is that now the majority of non-book show viewers are going to expect that the Dornish, generally will have Pascal's skin tone, which means that the rest of the actors that will be casted as Dornish people will have to be more or less his skin tone, and therefore darker skinned actors will barely be used, if at all when the show gets to Dorne.

IDK if it's true but from what I've read on ONTD is that he was only born in Chile. He sounds American because that's where he's been most of his life. He went to Tisch apparently. I also heard he isn't a good actor but I didn't bother to watch the video that was posted.

I'm way more concerned about his acting ability than his skin colour, personally, but I figure he must have done something to impress them. I'm not too concerned about his resume of USA Network shows and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, since it's not like Jason Momoa, the only other major American actor with a one-season arc in GOT that I can think of, was doing hard-hitting HBO dramas before GOT, and he fit right in.

Speaking only for myself, I consider the percentage of actors who proved to be duds among the actors cast to date so small as to be negligible. I'm willing to give Nina Gold the benefit of the doubt at this point, as I think her batting average has proven extraordinarily high. I've had many moments when I heard casting news for Season 2 or Season 3, and my first thought was "That's really not what/whom I pictured" but I was pretty much always won over. When I heard about Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen), my thought process was pretty much 1) Whoa, he's gorgeous!, 2) I've never heard of him, and 3) Can he act? pretty much in that order. With Pedro Pascal, it was this, in pretty much this order:

1. Crap, he's white.

2. ...but he's Chilean, so...?

3. Whoa, he's gorgeous!

4. I've never heard of him.

5. Can he act?

So we'll see, LOL.

I'm way more concerned about his acting ability than his skin colour, personally, but I figure he must have done something to impress them. I'm not too concerned about his resume of USA Network shows and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, since it's not like Jason Momoa, the only other major American actor with a one-season arc in GOT that I can think of, was doing hard-hitting HBO dramas before GOT, and he fit right in.

Speaking only for myself, I consider the percentage of actors who proved to be duds among the actors cast to date so small as to be negligible. I'm willing to give Nina Gold the benefit of the doubt at this point, as I think her batting average has proven extraordinarily high.

Here.

http://vimeo.com/18945174

Archived