How powerful is Rickon?

The Fallen

` I'm surprised more hasn't been made of Rickon's possible powers.

I've always wondered this about the youngest Stark, Rickon. Before Ned's death, Rickon is hiding with Shaggydog in the crypts below Winterfell. No one can get him out and Shaggydog even attacks Maester Luwin. We find out that Rickon had a dream or some kind of vision of Ned being in the crypts, obviously dead. We know that Ned does indeed end up being killed, which makes it seem as if Rickon is able to see the future.

We have to assume that Rickon can warg his direwolf like the rest of his siblings (and GRRM has actually confirmed that all the Stark kids are wargs).

But does Rickon also have green dreams?

Was it Bloodraven that placed the dream in his head?

How powerful can Rickon become?

Can Rickon be a greenseer?

It's never really elaborated whether Rickon has the same abilities as Bran. I assume he does, only not as powerful as his older brother. Back in AGOT, Rickon and Bran both knew Ned had been killed before Luwin told them, so Rickon obviously has some sort of ability.

I doubt Rickon will ever be a true greenseer though.

I would be surprised if Rickon also became a greenseer like Bran, if only because Martin had the opportunity to send Rickon with Bran to see the last greenseer and learn the arts with him and deliberately chose not to. Without that mentorship and training, I think Rickon's path will diverge from Bran's significantly in how he uses/interprets his powers.

I doubt Rickon will become greenseer. I think that since only one in a thousand can become greenseer, that Starks got it with Bran. I think he is very capable, but highly emotionally unstable warg, and kid that needs proper guidance.

There was an SSM where GRRM said that all the Stark children are wargs (note - hilariously old):

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/Borders_Signing_Oregon

I will now tell the story of what GRRM said when asked about the Stark children and their ability as wargs. He was asked if the trait of being a warg ran in the Stark family. "I don't know if I want to get into genetics - this is fantasy, not scifi" He replied. "I don't think this is necessarily a 'Stark' ability, though all the children have it to one extent or another. They also realize it to one extent or another. Arya doesn't realize she has it, she keeps thinking she has these weird dreams, and of course Bran is much further along". Thats all I have in of an exact quote in my notes. I believe he went on to say something about how Bran was seeking the crow and then took the next question. I am not sure this is anything new. But perhaps he had not said -all- of the children had it before. And perhaps he had not implied so strongly before that it was not genetic people like Ned would probably not have it. However, the later is my interpretation of something he was implying by words and vocal tone. He acutally only said what I recorded above, he did not want to discuss genetics, but the children had it.

So I think it's clear that Rickon has some power; perhaps not like Bran, though.

I doubt Rickon will become greenseer. I think that since only one in a thousand can become greenseer, that Starks got it with Bran. I think he is very capable, but highly emotionally unstable warg, and kid that needs proper guidance.

This.

I see Rickon as just a kid with minor warging ability. His real power will come when he becomes the next KitN, but we won't experience it in the series.

` All the responses attest to his warging ability.

But help me understand. If Rickon is only a warg, how would he have known about Ned's death? I'm not sure on the timeline, but did he know before or after Ned's beheading?

If Rickon knows about Ned's death as it's happening, as a warg the only way he could have known would be for him to have been warging someone/something at Baelor's Sept at that time. If he knew before, this indicates that he has a power beyond a warg. Or have I misinterpreted what wargs can't and can't do?

If Rickon is only a warg, how would he have known about Ned's death? I'm not sure on the timeline, but did he know before or after Ned's beheading?

If Rickon knows about Ned's death as it's happening, as a warg the only way he could have known would be for him to have been warging someone/something at Baelor's Sept at that time. If he knew before, this indicates that he has a power beyond a warg. Or have I misinterpreted what wargs can't and can't do?

It's possible he has green dreams, similar to Jojen's but limited by his understanding of them.

It's never really elaborated whether Rickon has the same abilities as Bran. I assume he does, only not as powerful as his older brother. Back in AGOT, Rickon and Bran both knew Ned had been killed before Luwin told them, so Rickon obviously has some sort of ability.

I doubt Rickon will ever be a true greenseer though.

:agree:

I think he has green dreams. He probably also saw Robb's death and that was one of the reason he was so emotional, when Robb was leaving.

This is a good point. I had never thought of it, but you're right.

In terms of greenseer/warg abilities, I'd say Rickon's not half as powerful as Bran, but he still seems more ahead of the grade than Jon, Arya, Robb, and Sansa. Especially considering he's, like, three years old in AGoT, and his clairvoyance is seemingly on-par with Bran's at that point.

At least with regard to him and Bran seeing Ned in the crypts, anyway.

It's possible he has green dreams, similar to Jojen's but limited by his understanding of them.

So green dreams are separate from warging. He's the only one besides Bran who has multiple abilities. There's so much more to Rickon than meets the eye. How can he be so easily dismissed? Especially now that he's back. Rickon and Bran are about to start communicating.

Also, how do green dreams come about? Is it the gods or Bloodraven?

Also, how do green dreams come about? Is it the gods or Bloodraven?

Accesing green dreams seem to be an inborn trait, not something you are neccesarily given. The old gods (i.e. dead greensers in the trees) could certianly guide them if the dreamer happens to be within their range of power, and we know for a fact Bloodraven sent Jojen to Bran and awakened Bran's skills. But the ability as a whole seems to be a matter of fantasy genetics.

` So the assumption is that Rickon can warg and gets green dreams.

How bad-ass would it be if Bran communicates with lil' Rickon that way. We know he did it with Jon when Jon was in the Frostfangs.

I think that Bran and Rickon have similar capabilities, which develop towards different directions, like their characters do.

Bran is being taught to see the bigger picture in many meanings of the word, while Rickon's visions might stay self-centered, something like a defensive wall that helps him to avoid surprises.

I imagine Rickon will learn many things on how to survive and his green/warg abilities will be one of the such.

Archived