Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow on there journey to the wall: "Lovely thing about the watch. You discard your old family and get a whole new one"

Foreshadowing that Jon will find out his parentage (R+L=J) while on the wall, though i dont believe he will 'discard' his old family as such

No because J-R=L.

Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow on there journey to the wall: "Lovely thing about the watch. You discard your old family and get a whole new one"

Foreshadowing that Jon will find out his parentage (R+L=J) while on the wall, though i dont believe he will 'discard' his old family as such

Or foreshadowing Tyrion discarding the Lannisters?

The Starks and the dragons....

Dany wondering what would happen to her if she died (aDwD),

In Westeros the dead of House Targaryen were given to the flames, but who would light her pyre here?
My flesh will feed the wolves and carrion crows, she thought sadly,
and worms will burrow through my womb. Her eyes went back to Dragonstone. It looked smaller. She could see smoke rising from its wind-carved summit, miles away.

Daenerys reflecting on the book Jorah gives her,

Dragons are fire made flesh.
She had read that in one of the books Ser Jorah had given her as a wedding gift.

When Davos is smuggling Edric Storm out of Dragonstone,

They walked quickly, across a shadowed yard and down some steps,
under the stone tail of a frozen dragon.

Is the stone dragon that wakes, a frozen dragon?

The Azor Ahai prophecy,

It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt
to wake dragons out of stone.

Sansa and steel,

Soon after the Purple wedding, Sansa reflects (SoS),

The gods heard my prayer, she thought. She felt so numb and dreamy. My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory,
to steel.

Gendry and steel,

Tobho Mott to Ned, regarding Gendry (aGoT),

"A hundred pardons, my lord," his master said hurriedly to Ned. “
The boy is crude as new steel
, and like new steel would profit from some beating. That helm is journeyman’s work at best. Forgive him and I promise I will craft you a helm like none you have ever seen."

Robert and steel,

Donal Noye (CoK),

Robert was the true steel
. Stannis is pure iron, black and hard and strong, yes, but brittle, the way iron gets. He’ll break before he bends. And Renly, that one, he’s copper, bright and shiny, pretty to look at but not worth all that much at the end of the day.

The Starks and the dragons....

In Westeros the dead of House Targaryen were given to the flames, but who would light her pyre here? My flesh will feed the wolves and carrion crows, she thought sadly, and worms will burrow through my womb. Her eyes went back to Dragonstone. It looked smaller. She could see smoke rising from its wind-carved summit, miles away.

Nice catch, the wolves, referring to the Starks obviously, and the carrion crows, Jon of the NW, means that Dany will die in the North and her army, power and dragons will go to Jon and his group the Starks.

When Davos is smuggling Edric Storm out of Dragonstone,

They walked quickly, across a shadowed yard and down some steps,
under the stone tail of a frozen dragon.

Is the stone dragon that wakes, a frozen dragon?

The Azor Ahai prophecy,

It is written in prophecy as well. When the red star bleeds and the darkness gathers, Azor Ahai shall be born again amidst smoke and salt
to wake dragons out of stone.

Another nice catch, the frozen dragon is reference to Jon, with a royal parentage, being smuggled to safety by Ned, like Edric/Ned by Davos. It goes with this:

the ancient prophecy shall be fulfilled. Your dragon shall awaken and spread his stony wings.

stone wings enfolded the smith and armory

Jon takes up residence in Donal Noye's old quarters at the smith and armory, hinting that he is the dragon in the prophecy.

Nice catch, the wolves, referring to the STarks obviously, and the carrion crows, Jon of the NW, means that Dany will die in the North and her army, power and dragons will go to Jon.

Another nice catch, the frozen dragon is reference to Jon, with a royal parentage, being smuggled to safety by Ned, like Edric by Ned-lite, Davos. It goes with this:

Thanks! :drunk:

Not sure if I added this to the foreshadowing thread, but aDwD epilogue, Kevan Lannister: "Littlefinger had a habit of conjuring dragons from the air".

The air and Eyrie... foreshadowing of Dany's landing spot and LF's role in her landing?

I hope so!!

Also, in AGoT, Aemon calls Tyrion a giant. Isn't Sansa going to slay a giant?

Nice catch, the wolves, referring to the Starks obviously, and the carrion crows, Jon of the NW, means that Dany will die in the North and her army, power and dragons will go to Jon and his group the Starks.

Another nice catch, the frozen dragon is reference to Jon, with a royal parentage, being smuggled to safety by Ned, like Edric by Ned-lite, Davos. It goes with this:

My hypothesis, which i'm sure will be proven wrong is that Dany will experience a metaphorical death after a rejection of her by Jon and the Starks after an initial offer of alliance because of her feelings for Daario (Euron or Vic will be dead). Basing this on Barristan's her love for Daario will kill her line, Daario saying he'll send the dead back down to die, and the fact that Daario brags about being the most quick and graceful sword fighter when Jon is described as being quick and graceful in the second chapter

Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once...

"Does my lord wish to answer?" the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. "No," he said. "Put this in the fire."

Cersei sends a letter asking Jaime to save her life, and it is interesting to find that snow caused the ink of letter to blur before Jaime has it put in the fire.

This foreshadows that in the end after R+L=J is revealed, Jon Snow will cause some confusion and internal struggle for Jaime, choosing Jon as king over Cersei as queen; being one of the factors that leads to him killing her. The fire refers to Cersei reviving Aerys's plan.

Come at once, she said. Help me. Save me. I need you now as I have never needed you before. I love you. I love you. I love you. Come at once...

"Does my lord wish to answer?" the maester asked, after a long silence.

A snowflake landed on the letter. As it melted, the ink began to blur. Jaime rolled the parchment up again, as tight as one hand would allow, and handed it to Peck. "No," he said. "Put this in the fire."

Cersei sends a letter asking Jaime to save her life, and it is interesting to find that snow caused the ink of letter to blur before Jaime has it put in the fire.

This foreshadows that in the end after R+L=J is revealed, Jon Snow will cause some confusion and internal struggle for Jaime, choosing Jon as king over Cersei as queen. The fire refers to Cersei reviving Aerys's plan.

Man if that's intentional, it may be some of my favourite foreshadowing.

(Considering I already believe:

- Jaime and Cersei will both go out together when she tries to go all Aerys on us

- Jaime will recognise Jon as his king)

Worms and Bloodraven/weirwood

In Westeros the dead of House Targaryen were given to the flames, but who would light her pyre here? My flesh will feed the wolves and carrion crows, she thought sadly, and worms will burrow through my womb. Her eyes went back to Dragonstone. It looked smaller. She could see smoke rising from its wind-carved summit, miles away.

When Bran meets Bloodraven/weirwood tree (aDwD),

He wondered if they had blundered into a nest of milk snakes or giant grave worms, soft and pale and squishy. Grave

worms have teeth.

Bran realized that the snakes were only white roots like the one he’d hit his head on. “It’s weirwood roots,” he said. “Remember the heart tree in the godswood, Hodor? The white tree with the red leaves? A tree can’t hurt you.”

This has probably been mentionned before...

Tyrion speaking to Haldon about the dance of dragons and Ser Byron Swann who "was roasted for his trouble" is such a nice foreshadowing for the Quentyn Martell arc.

Also-

"Try to give me a better battle this time, Yollo. You play cyvasse as badly as you tumble”

I am trying to lull you into a false sense of confidence,” said Tyrion, as they arranged their tiles on either side of a carved wooden screen.

“You think you taught me how to play, but things are not always as they seem. Perhaps I learned the game from the cheesemunger, have you considered that?”

“Illyrio does not play cyvasse”

No, thought the dwarf, he plays the game of thrones, and you and Griff and Duck are only pieces, to be moved where he will and sacrificed at need just as he sacrificed Viserys. p.188

Re-reading this chapter made me think that Tyrion does not in fact buy the whole Young Griff = Aegon story. He's only pretending just like he warns Haldon, that he's trying to lure him into a false sense of confidence.

Also...could there be a foreshadowing that Haldon, Griff and Duck will be sacrificed for the cause? Young Griff is not mentioned among the pieces to be moved for the Game of Thrones.

Right after that scene, Tyrion wins the game, and Haldon tells him 'secrets'. We are not told what secrets are revealed but most likely, it's Aegon's identity:

“How much?”

“I have no coin. We’ll play for secrets.”

“Griff would cut my tongue out.”

“Afraid are you? I would be if I were you.”

The day you beat me at cyvasse will be the day turtles crawl out my arse” The Halfmaester moved his spears. “You have your wager, little man.”

Tyrion stretched a hand out for his dragon.

It was three hours later when the little man finally crept back up on the deck to empty his bladder.

“Yollo,” Duch called, “Where’s Haldon?”

He’s taken to his bed, in some discomfort. There are turtles crawling out his arse.” p.189

In the next Tyrion chapter, Tyrion sudden acknowledgment to Aegon seems surprising, especially since we have no indication in Tyrion's POV that he even wondered about Aegon's identity. Which is why, I believe Tyrion does not buy the plot, he's just playing along. I'm not going into the whole Aegon is real/Aegon is fake debate, because that's neither here, nor now. It's a topic for another thread-

Here, Tyrion plays cyvasse with Aegon, after persuading Aegon to go to Westeros directly :

The prince stared at the playing board. “My dragon-“

“-is too far away to save you. You should have moved her to the center of the battle.”

“But you said-“

I lied. Trust no one. And keep your dragon close.”

You Griff jerked to his feet and kicked over the board. Cyvasse pieces flew in all directions, bouncing and rolling across the deck of the Shy Maid. “Pick those up,” the boy commanded.

He may well be a Targaryen after all. p. 282

There's a foreshadowing for Aegon losing the war, since he decided to go to westeros without Dany, following his talk with Tyrion.

Further, notice the may and after all? Tyrion is sceptical. Again, on the "false sense of confidence". Also, Tyrion lies and warns Aegon not to trust anyone. IMO, Tyrion does not buy the plot.

Tyrion might even be rooting for Dany, wants Aegon out of the way, or more generally wants to disrupting Illyrio's plan - see above with Haldon "perhaps I learned the game from the cheesmunger"...Is Tyrion only talking about Cyvasse? or does he mean the Game of Thrones, in truth? Might he become an important player in the game?

This has probably been mentionned before...

Tyrion speaking to Haldon about the dance of dragons and Ser Byron Swann who "was roasted for his trouble" is such a nice foreshadowing for the Quentyn Martell arc.

Also-

Re-reading this chapter made me think that Tyrion does not in fact buy the whole Young Griff = Aegon story. He's only pretending just like he warns Haldon, that he's trying to lure him into a false sense of confidence.

Also...could there be a foreshadowing that Haldon, Griff and Duck will be sacrificed for the cause? Young Griff is not mentioned among the pieces to be moved for the Game of Thrones.

Right after that scene, Tyrion wins the game, and Haldon tells him 'secrets'. We are not told what secrets are revealed but most likely, it's Aegon's identity:

In the next Tyrion chapter, Tyrion sudden acknowledgment to Aegon seems surprising, especially since we have no indication in Tyrion's POV that he even wondered about Aegon's identity. Which is why, I believe Tyrion does not buy the plot, he's just playing along. I'm not going into the whole Aegon is real/Aegon is fake debate, because that's neither here, nor now. It's a topic for another thread-

Here, Tyrion plays cyvasse with Aegon, after persuading Aegon to go to Westeros directly :

There's a foreshadowing for Aegon losing the war, since he decided to go to westeros without Dany, following his talk with Tyrion.

Further, notice the may and after all? Tyrion is sceptical. Again, on the "false sense of confidence". Also, Tyrion lies and warns Aegon not to trust anyone. IMO, Tyrion does not buy the plot.

Tyrion might even be rooting for Dany, wants Aegon out of the way, or more generally wants to disrupting Illyrio's plan - see above with Haldon "perhaps I learned the game from the cheesmunger"...Is Tyrion only talking about Cyvasse? or does he mean the Game of Thrones, in truth? Might he become an important player in the game?

Absolutely outstanding, narrow & concise analysis. Thank you for sharing.

Ooh, in light of the excerpt from the Princess & the Queen, on Tyrion's wedding night with Sansa:

"There was hunger in his green eye, it seemed to her, and fury in the black. Sansa did not know which scared her more."

Ooh, in light of the excerpt from the Princess & the Queen, on Tyrion's wedding night with Sansa:

"There was hunger in his green eye, it seemed to her, and fury in the black. Sansa did not know which scared her more."

Nice, Tyrion in the middle of both camps, the hungry green dragon and the angry black dragon. Goes with this one (from a previous thread by someone).

Drogon moved quicker than a striking cobra. Flame roared from his mouth, orange and scarlet and black, searing the meat before it began to fall. As his sharp black teeth snapped shut around it, Rhaegal's head darted close, as if to steal the prize from his brother's jaws, but Drogon swallowed and screamed, and the smaller green dragon could only hiss in frustration.

"Stop that, Rhaegal," Dany said in annoyance, giving his head a swat. "You had the last one. I'll have no greedy dragons."

So in Princess & the Queen, the "greens" and the "blacks" were the terms used to refer to the two warring factions in the original Dance of the Dragons. If there is a second Dance of the Dragons, then Dany/Drogon will likely be the "black" faction, and her enemy--Aegon? Victarion? Someone else?--and Rhaegal (the "green"), whom her enemy it seems likely will wind up controlling, may make up the "green" faction.

Ooooooh, interesting. Four for you, Lost Melnibonean. That is an awesome catch. Not really sure it's foreshadowing, although chrisdaw might be on to something:

Nice, Tyrion in the middle of both camps, the hungry green dragon and the angry black dragon. Goes with this one (from a previous thread by someone).

So Rhaegal = green = "greed" (a bit on the nose with the RL connotation of green = colour of money, but never mind that), and Drogon = black = fury (no argument there).

Maybe the "greedy" enemy in the Dance of the Dragons 2.0 is "greedy" because they know they have no true claim--Aegon (if he is a Blackfyre and learns the truth), Victarion, whoever--but want/take the Iron Throne regardless, and Dany is "furious" because she sees the enemy as an usurper. If Tyrion figures into it, maybe he will be torn between supporting the "greedy" green and the "furious" black.

Or put it another way. Maybe Tyrion will be torn between his greed (for power and prestige) or his fury (his desire for revenge on Cersei, Jaime, etc.) and will have to make a choice. Heck, maybe that choice will dictate which faction he supports in the Dance of the Dragons 2.0, if one of the factions offers him a shot at power and prestige, and the other offers him a shot at revenge.

...Of course, now that we know about the tidbit about the warring factions in the Dance of the Dragons 1.0 being called the "greens" and the "blacks," Tyrion having a green eye and a black eye is yet another link between him and the Targs. (Although GRRM has strongly indicated Tyrion's fate is bound up with the Targs, with Moqorro's bit about Tyrion snarling in the midst of dragons.) Not saying it supports Tyrion = head of the dragon, A+J = T, or any other popular fan theory, but I very much doubt it's a coincidence.

So in Princess & the Queen, the "greens" and the "blacks" were the terms used to refer to the two warring factions in the original Dance of the Dragons. If there is a second Dance of the Dragons, then Dany/Drogon will likely be the "black" faction, and her enemy--Aegon? Victarion? Someone else?--and Rhaegal (the "green"), whom her enemy it seems likely will wind up controlling, may make up the "green" faction.

If you accept the Dany as the "black," the only obvious candidate for the "green" is the Tyrells, who might relatively easily join with Aegon through marriage if the Lannister keep slipping. They have also been described as "greedy" by others, trying to get as much power, prestige, and influence as possible in the King's Landing.

Or put it another way. Maybe Tyrion will be torn between his greed (for power and prestige) or his fury (his desire for revenge on Cersei, Jaime, etc.) and will have to make a choice. Heck, maybe that choice will dictate which faction he supports in the Dance of the Dragons 2.0, if one of the factions offers him a shot at power and prestige, and the other offers him a shot at revenge.

...Of course, now that we know about the tidbit about the warring factions in the Dance of the Dragons 1.0 being called the "greens" and the "blacks," Tyrion having a green eye and a black eye is yet another link between him and the Targs. (Although GRRM has strongly indicated Tyrion's fate is bound up with the Targs, with Moqorro's bit about Tyrion snarling in the midst of dragons.) Not saying it supports Tyrion = head of the dragon, A+J = T, or any other popular fan theory, but I very much doubt it's a coincidence.

I think Moqorro's words imply a lot, he's "amidst" the dragons. He is NOT described as a dragon. Which means he isn't a secret Targaryan, but none the less will have an enormous amount of influence in the coming events, which may or may not include an actual war. Most likely, playing the multiple sides against each other. I think the Lannisters have a debt to pay to the Targaryens for the Field of Fire, and no one is more serious about paying Lannister debts than Tyrion. Even Tywin was willing to look the other way on rare occasions, such not giving Dorne Gregor's head when they were promised justice for Elia's murder.

So Rhaegal = green = "greed" (a bit on the nose with the RL connotation of green = colour of money, but never mind that), and Drogon = black = fury (no argument there).

If there's a connection on the colour I'd think it is that Aegon is a green boy compared to Dany as a leader like the series refers to young inexperienced men/forces as green compared to battle hardened forces and knights.

Despite Varys' lofty speech, Aegon's life and leadership experiences are extremely underwhelming compared to Dany's, Dany is really everything Varys dreams Aegon is and may provide relevance to her journey so far.

Archived