Moments of Foreshadowing 5

Fire Eater

Adara buidling a snow castle in the Ice Dragon novel,

She was out building on her snow castle, and it came and landed close to her, in the emptiness of the snow-covered fields.

Sansa building her snow castle in SoS,

The snow fell and the castle rose. Two walls ankle-high, the inner taller than the outer. Towers and turrets, keeps and stairs, a round kitchen, a square armory, the stables along the inside of the west wall. It was only a castle when she began, but before very long Sansa knew it was Winterfell.

Sansa like Adara could ride an ice dragon.

Alright, one I noticed was when the Starks found the direwolf pups in Bran's very first chapter in AGoT. The mother of the direwolves is dead and the pups are very vulnurable, while Theon Greyjoy immediately offers to kill them. This could be a foreshadowing of when the big direwolf, Eddard Stark, is killed by a stag, Joffrey Baratheon, this would leave the Stark "pups" at their most vulnurable moment, at which the Greyjoy is the first to take advantage and strike.

Also, I do not remember if this was in the books, but in episode one of the first season, "Winter Is Coming", Robert Baratheon says the following to Eddard Stark when he names him the Hand of the King in the Wintefell Crypts:

"I'm not trying to honor you, I'm trying to get you to run my kingdom while I eat, drink, and whore my way into an early grave."

We all know how early it was in the story when Robert Baratheon died.

If there's a connection on the colour I'd think it is that Aegon is a green boy compared to Dany as a leader like the series refers to young inexperienced men/forces as green compared to battle hardened forces and knights.

Despite Varys' lofty speech, Aegon's life and leadership experiences are extremely underwhelming compared to Dany's, Dany is really everything Varys dreams Aegon is and may provide relevance to her journey so far.

Could be. Aegon is a "green boy" in that sense, for sure. "Green" could also connote an association with the Tyrells, as suggested by Petyr Patter, maybe even through marriage to Margaery (although I tend to doubt it).

Most likely, playing the multiple sides against each other. I think the Lannisters have a debt to pay to the Targaryens for the Field of Fire, and no one is more serious about paying Lannister debts than Tyrion.

I dunno, he seems pretty uninterested in exacting revenge on behalf of the Lannisters against either Aegon or Dany, as much pleasure as he took in Aegon taking the bait and heading to Westeros. I do agree Tyrion might wind up playing both sides against each other, though.

No, I don't think Sansa will marry Jon.

Haw!

Not sure if its in the book but in one of the first episodes of the show Jaime chastises Jon about joining the NW.

"Let me thankyou ahead of time for guarding the realm from the perils behind the wall...Im sure it will be thrilling to join such an elite force".

Foreshadowing of the NW becoming 'elite' once again under the leadership of Jon as they fight off the WW, and also foreshadows the corruption of KG while under the leadership of Jaime (which was formally announced in the first book when Barristan Selmy was sacked)

Then a string of red tears appeared across the big man's [Qhorin Halfhand] throat, bright as a ruby necklace. the blood gushed out of him

One ruby necklace that comes to mind is Melisandre's. Could this foreshadow Jon killing her?

The Pig

Aerys squealing like a pig when Jaime kills him,

Those purple eyes grew huge then, and the royal mouth drooped open in shock. He lost control of his bowels, turned, and ran for the Iron Throne. Beneath the empty eyes of the skulls on the walls, Jaime hauled the last dragonking bodily off the steps,
squealing like a pig
and smelling like a privy. A single slash across his throat was all it took to end it. So easy, he remembered thinking. A king should die harder than this.

After Robert’s hunting accident in which he is injured by a boar, he talks to Ned.

The king closed his eyes and seemed to relax. “
Killed by a pig
,” he muttered. “Ought to laugh, but it hurts too much.”

Ned was not laughing. “Shall I call them back?”

“Look at us, Ned,” Robert said. “Gods, how did we come to this? You here,
and me killed by a pig
. We won a throne together…”

Sansa hearing the tavern singer sing about King Robert’s death.

The last case was a plump tavern singer, accused of making a song that ridiculed the late King Robert. Joff commanded them to fetch his woodharp and ordered him to perform the song for the court. The singer wept and swore he would never sing that song again, but the king insisted.
It was sort of a funny song, all about Robert fighting with a pig. The pig was the boar who’d killed him, Sansa knew, but in some verses it almost sounded as if he were singing about the queen.

Then a string of red tears appeared across the big man's [Qhorin Halfhand] throat, bright as a ruby necklace. the blood gushed out of him

One ruby necklace that comes to mind is Melisandre's. Could this foreshadow Jon killing her?

Or maybe its a hint at the seventh ruby.

Gods be good, thought Davos when he saw Lord Wyman's face, this man looks half a corpse.

Lord Manderly will die, likely in battle against Dany, especially since his expressed desire for vengeance and as Oberyn, Rickard Karstark and soon Lord Walder, characters who pursue vengeance don't last very long.

Gods be good, thought Davos when he saw Lord Wyman's face, this man looks half a corpse.

Lord Manderly will die, likely in battle against Dany, especially since his expressed desire for vengeance and as Oberyn, Rickard Karstark and soon Lord Walder, characters who pursue vengeance don't last very long.

Honestly, I think he's planning on it. He doesn't seem to expect to make it out of Winterfell.

Gods be good, thought Davos when he saw Lord Wyman's face, this man looks half a corpse. Lord Manderly will die, likely in battle against Dany, especially since his expressed desire for vengeance and as Oberyn, Rickard Karstark and soon Lord Walder, characters who pursue vengeance don't last very long.

Arya's been around for a while...

This foreshadows that in the end after R+L=J is revealed, Jon Snow will cause some confusion and internal struggle for Jaime, choosing Jon as king over Cersei as queen. The fire refers to Cersei reviving Aerys's plan.

There should be some good foreshadowing of said plan when Cersei uses wildfire to burn down the tower of the hand (sorry if you've already covered this).

I also think this is what will likely lead to Jaime killing Cersei, to prevent her from setting fire to King's Landing as she descends into madness, much like he did to Aerys.

Adara buidling a snow castle in the Ice Dragon novel,

Sansa building her snow castle in SoS,

Sansa like Adara could ride an ice dragon.

Ice Dragon seems like a perfect descriptor for Jon, perhaps Sansa will "ride" Jon (ie allow him to fight her battle) to return as Lady of Winterfell.

Ice Dragon seems like a perfect descriptor for Jon, perhaps Sansa will "ride" Jon (ie allow him to fight her battle) to return as Lady of Winterfell.

But Rickon will be revealed by then, and his claim trumps Sansa's.

Arya's been around for a while...

She may eventually find the futility of a life of vengeance

I think there has been a pattern in Dany’s storyline of the color green signaling something negative for Dany, such as betrayal or an enemy.

• The Green Grace.

• Dany tries to give Viserys a green cloak, which enrages him.

• Slippers given as a gift from the Astapor envoy had green pearls on them, and they caused her feet to hurt. (This is a minor occurrence, but I think the mention of green pearls in the chapter right after the chapter where Illyrio is mentioned to be wearing a green pearl ring and admitting he sent Dany to the Dothraki to die is interesting).

• Green is one of the Mormont colors, and Jorah Mormont spied on her.

• Green dragon Rhaegal roasts Quentyn.

Since Dany is shaping up to be the Rhaenyra figure in the upcoming Dance of the Dragons, I think all these negative instances involving green become important foreshadowing for the new Dance.

But I think the color green motif will exist beyond the Dance because a lot of parties that will likely to oppose Dany are associated with green: greenseers, Stark loyalists like Manderly, Mormont, and Reed, the Tyrells, Cersei likes the color green, and Littlefinger.

Going to back Jorah and the Mormont colors, their other color is black. Although Jorah hurt her, he also helped Dany. Similarly, Tyrion with his mismatched eyes of green and black has already hurt Dany but may be able to help her too.

The Pig

Aerys squealing like a pig when Jaime kills him,

Those purple eyes grew huge then, and the royal mouth drooped open in shock. He lost control of his bowels, turned, and ran for the Iron Throne. Beneath the empty eyes of the skulls on the walls, Jaime hauled the last dragonking bodily off the steps,
squealing like a pig
and smelling like a privy. A single slash across his throat was all it took to end it. So easy, he remembered thinking. A king should die harder than this.

After Robert’s hunting accident in which he is injured by a boar, he talks to Ned.

The king closed his eyes and seemed to relax. “
Killed by a pig
,” he muttered. “Ought to laugh, but it hurts too much.”

Ned was not laughing. “Shall I call them back?”

“Look at us, Ned,” Robert said. “Gods, how did we come to this? You here,
and me killed by a pig
. We won a throne together…”

Sansa hearing the tavern singer sing about King Robert’s death.

The last case was a plump tavern singer, accused of making a song that ridiculed the late King Robert. Joff commanded them to fetch his woodharp and ordered him to perform the song for the court. The singer wept and swore he would never sing that song again, but the king insisted.
It was sort of a funny song, all about Robert fighting with a pig. The pig was the boar who’d killed him, Sansa knew, but in some verses it almost sounded as if he were singing about the queen.

To that I'll add:

The cooks were serving a meat course: five suckling pigs

Foreshadowing for the Wo5K

I am bleeding like a butchered pig, he [Jon] thought

More king foreshadowing for Jon

snip

Excellent work.

Archived