Septon Chayle is the Hooded Man in WF (Theon I Spoilers)

Whilst we attach credence to the odd notion of a minor character swimming through underground tunnels to resurrect as the Hooded Man,we ignore evidence that we are given in the books.

And there is precious little evidence,but there is some,so why do we all ignore it?The evidence is glaring for those with eyes to see,or ears to hear.Mance Rayder does not arrive at Winterfell with what he left Castle Black with.

To paraphrase,because I don't have the books with me.Mance requested six,young and pretty spearwives from Mole's Town,he provided the names and Dolorous Ed did the rest and smuggled them out.

Abel arrives at Winterfell with a wife,sisters,daughters and *me old mother".Please tell me why we should ignore this and why no one else on the planet seems to have noticed it?

the exact quote:

"When Abel turned up at the gates with a lute and six women, he had been welcome. 'two sisters, two daughters, one wife and my old mother,' the singer claimed, though not one looked like him." ADWD, Prince of winterfell, about halfway through (pg52 of 106 on my kobo)

I don't know with the right clothes and enough dirt you can look a lot older than you are.

the exact quote:

"When Abel turned up at the gates with a lute and six women, he had been welcome. 'two sisters, two daughters, one wife and my old mother,' the singer claimed, though not one looked like him." ADWD, Prince of winterfell, about halfway through (pg52 of 106 on my kobo)

I don't know with the right clothes and enough dirt you can look a lot older than you are.

Thanks for the quote.No, I think Mance has smuggled a male of the species into Winterfell.We meet this character,Myrtle later in the Winterfell chapters,and paraphrasing again,is described as deep voiced,older,with grey streaks in her hair. People see what they expect to see.

• 2 weeks later...

That is...possible. That would make sense narratively. Does anyone think that Brynden could have made it north from Riverrun to hide out in time for the Wedding? Where does his escape match chronologically with A Ghost in Winterfell? Myself, I'm a little dubious about distances, especially since he'd be travelling incognito through drifts of heavy snow.

That is...possible. That would make sense narratively. Does anyone think that Brynden could have made it north from Riverrun to hide out in time for the Wedding? Where does his escape match chronologically with A Ghost in Winterfell? Myself, I'm a little dubious about distances, especially since he'd be travelling incognito through drifts of heavy snow.

Been checking out the asoiaf timeline (not made by me) and Jaime and the Blackfish met on the 9th of May and the muders at Winterfell start on the 26 of June. That roughly a month and half for him to get from Riverrun to Winterfell, which is possible.

However, does Brynden know Winterfell? And how did he enter it? Though it's certainly possible, i think its more likely that he is heading to the Vale.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't Chayle at the wall for the wedding?

Pretty sure Jon sees him pop his head out of the sept then duck back inside.

That isn't Septon Chayle, its Septon Cellador. Septon Chayle is drowned when Theon takes Winterfell for the Ironborn. Which creates the argument; wouldn't Theon have a bigger reaction to seeing someone he thinks is dead? There is pretty much no reaction from him

That isn't Septon Chayle, its Septon Cellador. Septon Chayle is drowned when Theon takes Winterfell for the Ironborn. Which creates the argument; wouldn't Theon have a bigger reaction to seeing someone he thinks is dead? There is pretty much no reaction from him

I think the argument goes that Theon believes Winterfell to be full of ghosts (and he is one of them). Because of this he would probably not be surprised to see Septon Chayle or anyone else he thought was dead. This may also explain why he is not afraid to show Chayle his maimed hand when he is very anxious to show Lady Dustin et. al. a short time later.

I don't get it either, you figure they would have fished the guys body out after he drowned, so people could use the well without it being contaminated by a dead guy. How far was the fall down into the well anyways? Getting thrown down the well could have killed him before he hit the water.

• 3 weeks later...

To my mind, the only purpose of septon Chayle as a character was to show disbelief for Jojen's dream and be proved wrong. I believe he is irrevocably dead.

There is that.

Septon Chayle did not leave much of an impression. The idea that the pools of Winterfell are interconnected is good (and the bit about Bran being able to enter on one side of the castle at one level, and hop around to come out the other side at another, is well taken).

However, Catelyn notes in Game that the waters that run through the walls kept her room warm. That makes me believer the thermal pools are hot like those at Yellowstone. Yet, no one mentions a sulfur odor. The only hot springs besides those at Yellowstone I have visited were some in Arkansas. They were sulfurous, as well. Does anyone know of warm springs without a sulfur ordor?

But this is magic Westeros, so perhaps.

There is that.

Septon Chayle did not leave much of an impression. The idea that the pools of Winterfell are interconnected is good (and the bit about Bran being able to enter on one side of the castle at one level, and hop around to come out the other side at another, is well taken).

However, Catelyn notes in Game that the waters that run through the walls kept her room warm. That makes me believer the thermal pools are hot like those at Yellowstone. Yet, no one mentions a sulfur odor. The only hot springs besides those at Yellowstone I have visited were some in Arkansas. They were sulfurous, as well. Does anyone know of warm springs without a sulfur ordor?

But this is magic Westeros, so perhaps.

The pool in the godswood is cool, as pointed out in the AGOT quote in the OP (and elsewhere in this thread). The well is likely also cool, because it's a well.

That Chayle spoke of his ability to swim, then happened to be thrown down the well, and that the pool in the godswood is "bottomless" brings us to the premise of this theory - that Chayle is alive and well within the walls of WF, having resurfaced in the godswood sometime after his fall.

Note too that a different body was fished from the well, but Chayle's was never found.

Sure, he's a minor character (at current), but that does not preclude the possibility that he lived.

The bigger gotcha that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that Jojen foresees Chayle's death, so his greensight would have to be fallible for Chayle to be alive.

The bigger gotcha that I don't think anyone has mentioned is that Jojen foresees Chayle's death, so his greensight would have to be fallible for Chayle to be alive.

not necessarily. Like all the other prophecies, the interpretation being off does not mean the vision was wrong. Jojen saw Chayle die in his green dream then everyone else saw him "die" as an offering to the drowned god. The fact that Chayle might have secretly survived his execution does not automatially discount Jojen's greendreamer abilities.

Archived