Books similar in style to A Song of Ice and Fire

Almighty Stannis

Anyone know of any? Style in so far as alternating POV characters/chapters weaved together. I really enjoyed the pacing and perspective offered in ASOIAF from the get-go.

Are there any other quality authors/series/books out there with a similar format that members here would recommend. I'm currently reading Black Order, a book in Rollins 'Sigma Force' series that uses alternating POV, but the pace is absurd by comparison; characters switch too often and there's an excess of action, and relatively nothing in the way of inner-dialogue. Could be Rollins was on speed while writing it.

Ps. Just joined GoodReads if anyone wants to add me as a friend on there click here.

GRRM borrowed his structure from Stephen Donaldson's Gap SF series (five volumes, fairly epic, but set in the future in space), so that has pretty much exactly the same structure with a few less characters. Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck alos use the same structure in their Expanse SF novels.

In fantasy, Robert Jordan uses the same structure in Wheel of Time, but his chapters are not named by characters. Every now and then there'll be a POV shift in-chapter (and there's always several in the prologue of each volume) but for the most part it's similar to GRRM in terms of structure, pacing (aside from the near-inert Books 8-10) and epicness. In terms of writing style and characterisation, Jordan is nowhere near as good as GRRM and the series is probably best read before ASoIaF rather than after, where I suspect it's rather more of a let-down.

The series that is most similar to ASOIAF, to me, is Greg Keyes' The Kingdom of Bone and Thorn. I thought three of the four books were great. The last one was... disappointing. Not terrible, by any means, but not a satisfactory conclusion to an otherwise good series either.

The series that is most similar to ASOIAF, to me, is Greg Keyes' The Kingdom of Bone and Thorn.

+1

My second recommendation is Acacia trilogy by David Anthony Durham.

GRRM borrowed his structure from Stephen Donaldson's Gap SF series (five volumes, fairly epic, but set in the future in space), so that has pretty much exactly the same structure with a few less characters. Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck alos use the same structure in their Expanse SF novels.

In fantasy, Robert Jordan uses the same structure in Wheel of Time, but his chapters are not named by characters. Every now and then there'll be a POV shift in-chapter (and there's always several in the prologue of each volume) but for the most part it's similar to GRRM in terms of structure, pacing (aside from the near-inert Books 8-10) and epicness. In terms of writing style and characterisation, Jordan is nowhere near as good as GRRM and the series is probably best read before ASoIaF rather than after, where I suspect it's rather more of a let-down.

Thanks Werthead. Any general fantasy books or series you'd recommend to somebody whose only experience of "epic fantasy" is through ASOIAF. Hopefully I haven't ruined the genre for myself already, in the same way I struggle with television after The Wire :bang:

I'm not really a fan of the fantasy genre at all but what I really love about how ASOIAF sets itself apart is the focus on real characters, sexuality, battles and politics as opposed to magical and sci-fi mumbo jumbo. Would there be any series that are close to ASOIAF in that regard, not so much the actual structure?

In addition to The Kingdom of Bone and Thorn (which you'd probably enjoy, just don't have high hopes for a fantastic ending) I'd strongly suggest the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Just keep in mind that the first book in that mostly sets up the next two, which are much better. Also check out Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller series (only two books out so far) and the Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch (also only two books out right now, but the third is due out really soon).

You sound like you may be new to the genre, as I was when I picked up ASOIAF, so despite others perhaps being more qualified to answer than I am, I'll share the books I've read and enjoyed since then.

The books that spring to mind are of course Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and the Coin, Joe Abercrombie's First Law Trilogy, and the later standalone books set in the same world. I guess they fit the POV style you're looking for. I also loved The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch, Prince of Thorns by Mark Lawrence and Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, though the last one may not strictly fit into this kind of genre. Just a recommendation :D

I have also read a lot of historical fiction, before and after reading ASOIAF, particularly those based on the War of the Roses and the Tudors. Philippa Gregory has 4 (the 5th is out next month) novels centred around women who were prevalent figures during the War of the Roses and just after - Elizabeth Woodville and her mother Lady Rivers, Anne Neville, Margaret Beaufort, and the next will be about the younger Elizabeth Woodville, who I believe married Henry Tudor. I know Philippa Gregory has been criticised but they're decent reads, if it's the kind of thing you like.

Daniel Abraham's The Dagger and Coin series is the most similar I've found so far. But it's more subtle and smaller and not as much crazy shit goes down (I think, I've only read the first book).

I recommend searching for a different experience from ASoIaF. There are plenty of series out there that are just as good in their own way. But no series beats ASoIaF at its own game.

The Century Trilogy is historical fiction centered around the 20th century. It has POVs in Germany, England, America, Wales and Russia. Provides very different perspectives on things, just like ASoIaF :)

In terms of fantasy, I'm about to read The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie, and Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, both of which I've heard good things about in relation to ASOIAF.

But in terms of historical fiction, definitely try The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. It's about the conflict between Queen Maud and King Stephen in the 13th century (so far as I remember), but what's unique about Follett is that the POV characters are fictional. So you can learn about history while at the same time experiencing an entirely new story. In this way, you don't already know how the story will end when you begin reading, which is what turns me off sometimes when reading historical fiction. It switches the POV with named chapters, exactly like ASOIAF, and is packed with intrigue, murder, politics and religion. There are even a few *shocker* moments in the style of the Red Wedding, if you're into that. What's different about it, though, is that the characters are a bit more clearly defined as 'good' and 'evil'. You're not in any doubt that the ambitious, conniving Bishop Waleran is a bad guy, any more than you are that talented, beautiful Jack the artist is a good guy. Also, Follett's writing is kind of simplistic, and definitely not up to the standard of GRRM's, but on the whole it's definitely the closest I've come to ASOIAF since I finished ADWD.

Follett also has other historical books, namely World Without End and The Century Trilogy, but The Pillars of the Earth is by far the best one, and the most similar to ASOIAF.

The series that is most similar to ASOIAF, to me, is Greg Keyes' The Kingdom of Bone and Thorn. I thought three of the four books were great. The last one was... disappointing. Not terrible, by any means, but not a satisfactory conclusion to an otherwise good series either.

Yeah, I got the impression that the author was told to / or maybe wanted to finish this sucker NOW and in ONE more book. More time and perhaps a fifth book might have made for a much stronger series.

I know Philippa Gregory has been criticised but they're decent reads, if it's the kind of thing you like.

Take the history with a big spoonful of salt. ;) I also found Gregory too romance-y and girly, but tastes may vary. (I coudn't get into Jemisin, either).

Not following the same structure as ASOIAF, but if you want some rocking historical fiction, try Dorothy Dunnett's Lymond series.

Yeah, I got the impression that the author was told to / or maybe wanted to finish this sucker NOW and in ONE more book. More time and perhaps a fifth book might have made for a much stronger series.

Yeah, that's a good way of describing the last book, I think. I loved the first three. And then the last one was just... meh.

I really couldn't get into Follett, but I did enjoy both TV adaptations of Pillars of the Earth and World Without End, so they might be worth a go if you, like me, can't get into the books.

Agreed. Follett can write very simplistically and it was hard for me to get into the books, but after a while I was pretty much hooked; first time I really haven't been able to put down a book since ASOIAF.

Archived