The maps of Michael Gellatly for the World Book

Ran has just announced that Michael Gellatly, map artist for the World of Ice and Fire, has launched his site with a tease of his work on the book. There are three small bits of three maps:

• Map of Dorne. Finally we are geting official political boundaries, plus the exact location of the Water Gardens. Alas, most of the map is covered by a huge stain. Dammit!
  • A small piece of a political map of the Stormlands, signaling out how isolated the Nightfort is. This castle, and not Summerhall, is the real place where Dorne, the Reach and the Stormlands meet.
  • The heading of a King's Landing map.

Not much to talk about, but it looks nice.

Urgh! Why do they have to tease us so?

Looks good from what we can see and I'm glad they have the political boundaries of the Kingdoms.

The Stormlands is actually bigger than I expected.

One hopes the color swirl on the Dornish map is only for the nonce, and we will get the whole thing, unsullied, for the book.....?

Me too; they have mentioned "ink blots" over spoilery material, e.g Summerhall, but I don't think this is it. After all, one could expect a proper ink blot in appearance :lol:

When I saw the details, my curiosity went to Tower of Joy. Having in mind that this is a book intended for Robert,written by factual and dutiful maesters, I wonder would the tower even make the cut; It's a long fallen tower, with no active use, a personal hideout for Rhaegar, which was named by him; No one even thought of trying to search for Rhaegar there. It's clearly off the maps. The tower is of importance to us only, but Robert? Not really.

I just noticed this on the Dorne map. In the center, just to the right of the ink stain, is Godsgrace. If you check the legend, it marks Godsgrace as a town. I don't think that has ever been revealed before. Cool stuff.

It's also interesting how wells are a thing that will be featured on the map. Lets hope that ink blot isn't there when the book comes out.

I can't wait, I'm a serious map geek! Great to see the boundaries.

And yes, there seems to be town next to Godsgrace - or Godsgrace is the town.

Another important thing is that Nightsong's location is now confirmed to be strategically important. It literally sits at the end of Prince's Pass (not just near it).

Is Nightsong a former Dornish castle? The Prince's Pass road end at it's location; House Caron and House Fowler have bird themed sigils. There might be some backstory about it as the Dornish Marhces were a frequent battleground. Intriguing.

Oh yes, it'd be great to see some history of the castle. I think it could've belonged to Dorne, Reach and Stormlands, changing ownership a few times. And definitely a frequent battleground because of its strategic location.

I'm guessing that the coloured blobs will be removed for the final thing.

GRRM has said that to prevent some things being spoiled, some things in TWOIAF will be made to look like black inc has been spilled over it. But hopefully this isn't the case here.

GRRM has said that to prevent some things being spoiled, some things in TWOIAF will be made to look like black inc has been spilled over it. But hopefully this isn't the case here.

I couldn't imagine what is in the map of Dorne that needs to be kept secret, so I'm assuming this is just for before the book comes out.

Did he? That's quite interesting. I imagine that that'll be quite frustrating. :lol:

I can imagine I'm reading something to do with Summerhall and it says something like "it's believed that the fire was caused by..." and some black inc covers it and I shout because it's annoying.

Archived