Freys in the Vale and Sansa

Mrs.Grumpy

Arya hasn't expressed any desire to kill people simply for being related to the people on her list. Nor is she willing to kill innocents unless her life is in danger (the northman during her escape from Harrenhal). She still needed to know her assassination was someone who deserved to die. She has repeatedly been shown feelings guilt and shame over what she has done simply to stay alive.

Aside from the Hound (who was already on her list), she hasn't run into many relatives of people on her list. Arya doesn't know the names of the Freys, and if she randomly runs into one, she'll just blindly assume they had something to do with it and kill them. If she knows for a fact that they had no knowledge and weren't anywhere near the Twins during the Red Wedding, then she might spare them. But Arya isn't likely to go up asking them questions, especially if she thinks they'll lie. Arya has more trust issues than probably any other POV character (maybe minus Cersei, but that's just because she's fucking crazy), and would kill them basically regardless of what they tell her. I'd be shocked if she didn't try to kill Tyrion or Jaime if they ever ran across her path.

Arya is far from a cold-blooded killer. She may turn out that way (and is on the road to becoming such), but currently, she is not (and with her not giving up Needle, I think it is very possible she will not).

Then you've missed the point of her character. It's the tragedy that Arya has become a cold blooded killer much like the Hound that makes her enticing. That's the point of her character. Sure she won't kill some people she perceives as good, but the Hound won't kill certain people either, and he's self admitted being a cold blooded killer. Being a cold blooded killer doesn't mean you kill everyone around you, it just means you have a murderous rage that can not be satisfied and you can not go back to normal. Arya sees the world in a much darker lens than anyone her age (or any age really) should see. To Arya, killing is the sweetest thing there is. She's not a sociopath, but she's certainly an absolutely ruthless killer, and it's incredibly sad that a little girl had to become that to survive in such a dark and fucked up world.

Arya hasn't expressed any desire to kill people simply for being related to the people on her list. Nor is she willing to kill innocents unless her life is in danger (the northman during her escape from Harrenhal). She still needed to know her assassination was someone who deserved to die. She has repeatedly been shown feelings guilt and shame over what she has done simply to stay alive.

Arya is far from a cold-blooded killer. She may turn out that way (and is on the road to becoming such), but currently, she is not (and with her not giving up Needle, I think it is very possible she will not).

I dunno, I agree with Lord_Tyrell's post. If Arya is morally equivalent to the Hound, in that she currently is killing those she's ordered to kill (much like the Hound is a sword for hire, or at least was one), and if the Hound is a cold-blooded killer--and I don't know how you can argue otherwise--then Arya is a cold-blooded killer as well. The Hound doesn't go out of his way to kill or hurt innocents or people who haven't wronged him personally, either, but he'll absolutely do it if ordered to, since that's his job; Arya seems to have crossed that particular moral threshold as of ADWD (or arguably in AFFC, when she killed Dareon, who had done nothing to her personally). Not only killing Dareon in the first place, but also the way she killed Dareon--luring him into an alley and slitting his throat like some pulp noir boogeyman--was the act of a cold-blooded killer.

Also, Arya's character isn't frozen in amber; it's changing all the time. She has in past books shown guilt and shame over her actions, but she seems awfully short on guilt and shame over killing these days and increasingly accepting of the FM's philosophy about how killing people isn't about whether they "deserve" it or not (meaning anyone is theoretically fair game). It's expected that that will continue. Any argument premised on "Character X could never stoop so low as to do [bad thing], because they did [good thing] in [earlier book]" pretty much has to fail, especially where the baby Starks, who are going through some pretty dramatic character transformations, are concerned.

I dunno, I agree with Lord_Tyrell's post. If Arya is morally equivalent to the Hound, in that she currently is killing those she's ordered to kill (much like the Hound is a sword for hire, or at least was one), and if the Hound is a cold-blooded killer--and I don't know how you can argue otherwise--then Arya is a cold-blooded killer as well. The Hound doesn't go out of his way to kill people who haven't wronged him personally, either, but he'll do it if ordered to; Arya seems to have crossed that threshold as of ADWD.

I just think he's mistaking a cold blooded killer as being someone like Ramsay, a true psychopath, not someone who won't murder someone on a whim or order with absolutely no regret. Arya will certainly kill someone on a whim or order. She's crossed that line. Arya and the Hound aren't psychopaths like the Mountain and the Bastard are, but they do have an appreciation for killing like them.

If Arya weren't a cold blooded killer, she'd have some major internal problems killing off the Bolton guard, the insurance salesman, and Dareon. Her lack of regret and even a real second thought on their deaths shows that she's a cold blooded killer.

If you want proof, look at how Ned and Arya differ when after killing someone. Ned is visibly haunted and doesn't recover easily from it. He sits by the Weirwood for hours upon hours washing the sword and blood from his hands. Arya on the other hand really doesn't give a shit. She just does the deed and doesn't give a shit afterwards. That's the mind of a cold blooded killer, not someone like Ramsay exactly.

I dunno, I agree with Lord_Tyrell's post. If Arya is morally equivalent to the Hound, in that she currently is killing those she's ordered to kill (much like the Hound is a sword for hire, or at least was one), and if the Hound is a cold-blooded killer--and I don't know how you can argue otherwise--then Arya is a cold-blooded killer as well. The Hound doesn't go out of his way to kill or hurt innocents or people who haven't wronged him personally, either, but he'll absolutely do it if ordered to, since that's his job; Arya seems to have crossed that particular moral threshold as of ADWD (or arguably in AFFC, when she killed Dareon, who had done nothing to her personally). Not only killing Dareon in the first place, but also the way she killed Dareon--luring him into an alley and slitting his throat like some pulp noir boogeyman--was the act of a cold-blooded killer.

Also, Arya's character isn't frozen in amber; it's changing all the time. She has in past books shown guilt and shame over her actions, but she seems awfully short on guilt and shame over killing these days and increasingly accepting of the FM's philosophy about how killing people isn't about whether they "deserve" it or not (meaning anyone is theoretically fair game). It's expected that that will continue. Any argument premised on "Character X could never stoop so low as to do [bad thing], because they did [good thing] in [earlier book]" pretty much has to fail, especially where the baby Starks, who are going through some pretty dramatic character transformations, are concerned.

These are thoughts from Arya on the insurance man and it seems that she is trying to convince herself that he deserves to die, and I just can't see the Hound needing to do this

• He has lived too long...Why should he have so many years when my father had so few?

• He has no courtesy

• His face is hard and mean

• One of his shoulders was higher than the other, giving him a crooked cast.

• “He is an evil man,”

• “His lips are cruel, his eyes are mean, and he has a villain’s beard

• The old man’s hands were the worst thing about him...His fingers were long and bony, always moving, scratching at his beard, tugging at an ear, drumming on a table, twitching, twitching, twitching. He has hands like two white spiders. The more she watched his hands, the more she came to hate them.

• “He moves his hands too much,”...“He must be full of fear. The gift will bring him peace.”

• “When I kill him he will look in my eyes and thank me.”

So when Arya keeps pestering the Kindly Man about the guy he gives her a reason...

“… they lose their ships, oftimes their very lives. The seas are dangerous, and never more so than in autumn. No doubt many a captain sinking in a storm has taken some small solace in his binder back in Braavos, knowing that his widow and children will not want.” A sad smile touched his lips. “It is one thing to write such a binder, though, and another to make good on it.”

and Arya thinks...

Cat understood. One of them must hate him. One of them came to the House of Black and White and prayed for the god to take him.

So I think there is more going on than just being a cold blooded killer following orders similar to the Hound, it seems she needed him to be a bad man.

As for Dareon I don't think most realize Arya did not decide to kill him at the drop of a hat, she watched him for months before she killed him. I also think the reason why is arguable, possibly being to advance her training and a Night's Watch deserter's life is considered forfeit anyway so... But it is still murder same as the insurance man, I'm just saying I think there are more nuances to this than - Arya being a cold blooded killer that kills on command full stop.

Sansa will gain power by becoming a great diplomat, not from making war or seeking vengeance. It makes me sad that so many people find Sansa unsympathetic when she is one of the few characters who hasn't killed anybody (I'm not accusing the OP of this, just making a general observation).

<snip>

So I think there is more going on than just being a cold blooded killer following orders similar to the Hound, it seems she needed him to be a bad man.

As for Dareon I don't think most realize Arya did not decide to kill him at the drop of a hat, she watched him for months before she killed him. I also think the reason why is arguable, possibly being to advance her training and a Night's Watch deserter's life is considered forfeit anyway so... But it is still murder same as the insurance man, I'm just saying I think there are more nuances to this than - Arya being a cold blooded killer that kills on command full stop.

I could not agree more. Arya is not a "cold blooded killer" and she is not filled with the kind of murderous rage that plagued the Hound. She is at a fork in the road right now and her character could turn much darker, but she is not there yet. There is still hope for Arya.

It doesn't matter how Arya initially tries to justify it. The Hound does the same thing. It's the fact that she doesn't give a flying shit once it's done and tends to write them off as being as bad as anyone she actually despises. In fact the only feeling she gets from it is joy and relief. Ned doesn't feel that way at all when he kills someone. Arya does. She's a cold blooded killer. She'd use the exact same reasoning with any Frey or Lannister that crossed her path. She doesn't give a shit. Anyone who doesn't think this is clearly missing the point of the character.

I don't think either sister would kill Freys simply for being Freys. If they were in on it (likely not), Arya definitely would and possibly even Sansa. But neither is so lost they would simply kill innocents because of who they are related to.

On the other hand Nymeria might find them tasty.

As for Dareon I don't think most realize Arya did not decide to kill him at the drop of a hat, she watched him for months before she killed him.

Exactly! Premeditation = cold-blooded. Killing Dareon = killer. Arya = cold-blooded killer. Pretty straightforward stuff.

It makes me sad that so many people find Sansa unsympathetic when she is one of the few characters who hasn't killed anybody

Yet. Sansa doesn't strike me as the cold-blooded murder type at this point, but people change.

she is not filled with the kind of murderous rage that plagued the Hound

Hahahaha, I suggest you reread the passage where she murders the Tickler.

I could not agree more. Arya is not a "cold blooded killer" and she is not filled with the kind of murderous rage that plagued the Hound. She is at a fork in the road right now and her character could turn much darker, but she is not there yet. There is still hope for Arya.

She prays every night for the murder of a dozen+ people. How does she not have that murderous rage in her yet?

She gets off on killing people, and she's only getting worse. She thought about the fat boy she killed and felt guilty about it even though she had to kill him. Anyone since then? She hasn't given them more than a night of thinking about them.

She's the younger version of the Hound in female form. She loves death, she idolizes death, and she's turned it into her life's work and passion.

I really see absolutely no hope for Arya overcoming this. One does not simply recover from such experiences and viewpoints at such a young age. Do people really think she's going to settle down as the Lady of Storm's End?

Arya hasn't expressed any desire to kill people simply for being related to the people on her list.

"Ser Gregor, " it went. "Dunsen, Raff the Sweetling, Ser Ilyn, Ser Meryn, Queen Cersei." She would have whispered the names of the Freys of the Crossing too, if she had known them. One day I'll know, she told herself, and then I'll kill them all.

Aside from the Hound (who was already on her list), she hasn't run into many relatives of people on her list. Arya doesn't know the names of the Freys, and if she randomly runs into one, she'll just blindly assume they had something to do with it and kill them. If she knows for a fact that they had no knowledge and weren't anywhere near the Twins during the Red Wedding, then she might spare them. 1 But Arya isn't likely to go up asking them questions, especially if she thinks they'll lie. Arya has more trust issues than probably any other POV character (maybe minus Cersei, but that's just because she's fucking crazy), and would kill them basically regardless of what they tell her. 2 I'd be shocked if she didn't try to kill Tyrion or Jaime if they ever ran across her path.

Then you've missed the point of her character. 3 It's the tragedy that Arya has become a cold blooded killer much like the Hound that makes her enticing. That's the point of her character. Sure she won't kill some people she perceives as good, but the Hound won't kill certain people either, and he's self admitted being a cold blooded killer. 4 Being a cold blooded killer doesn't mean you kill everyone around you, it just means you have a murderous rage that can not be satisfied and you can not go back to normal. Arya sees the world in a much darker lens than anyone her age (or any age really) should see. 5 To Arya, killing is the sweetest thing there is. She's not a sociopath, but she's certainly an absolutely ruthless killer, and it's incredibly sad that a little girl had to become that to survive in such a dark and fucked up world.

1. We're talking about a nine and twelve year old who probably were not even at the Red Wedding. Why would Arya expect them?

2. Of course, she would. They both have actively worked against and harmed her family. I'm not trying to say Arya is an adorable little scamp who wouldn't hurt anyone but the really, really mean people. That's TV Arya.

3. Sandor is a reflection of the path she was taking. However, a few events (including taking his name off the list and joining assassin cult) have changed that path quite a bit (considering the Faceless Men's views of killing, they are quite a bit different types of killers).

5. No. Cold-blooded is lack of emotion. Not murderous rage.

6. Except, no. Arya never goes on about the joys of killing. She might have been happy to kill specific people, but not the act of killing like the Hound goes on about.

I dunno, I agree with Lord_Tyrell's post. If Arya is morally equivalent to the Hound, in that she currently is killing those she's ordered to kill (much like the Hound is a sword for hire, or at least was one), and if the Hound is a cold-blooded killer--and 1 I don't know how you can argue otherwise--then Arya is a cold-blooded killer as well. The Hound doesn't go out of his way to kill or hurt innocents or people who haven't wronged him personally, either, but he'll absolutely do it if ordered to, since that's his job; Arya seems to have crossed that particular moral threshold as of ADWD (or arguably in AFFC, when she killed Dareon, who had done nothing to her personally). Not only killing Dareon in the first place, but also the way she killed Dareon--luring him into an alley and slitting his throat like some pulp noir boogeyman--was the act of a cold-blooded killer.

Also, Arya's character isn't frozen in amber; it's changing all the time. She has in past books shown guilt and shame over her actions, but she seems awfully short on guilt and shame over killing these days and increasingly accepting of the FM's philosophy about how killing people isn't about whether they "deserve" it or not (meaning anyone is theoretically fair game). It's expected that that will continue. 2 Any argument premised on "Character X could never stoop so low as to do [bad thing], because they did [good thing] in [earlier book]" pretty much has to fail, especially where the baby Starks, who are going through some pretty dramatic character transformations, are concerned.

1. A rhetorical slip on my part. Lord_Tyrell was arguing that she would kill children Frey without question for just existing and said it was because she was a cold-blooded killer. I was arguing against the idea Arya is going to start murdering children and argued with "cold-blooded" as an extension. I stand by that due to Lord_Tyrell's use of the the term cold-blooded (ie, not actually cold-blooded, but *rage-fueled monster). I would actually agree that she is starting to become an actual cold-blooded killer since joining the Faceless Men (but not quite there yet). Just not Lord_Tyrell's definition which she has actually been moving away from since joining the Faceless Men.

2. That's not my argument at all. It's that there's nothing to show that Arya would start murdering children who did nothing other than be born into the wrong family. Killing a man for a crime she was brought up believing was worth death and a bad man her new "family" wants her to kill are not the same as murdering innocent children. It is quite possible to be able to kill one kind of person in cold blood and not another. Many soldiers can kill other soldiers and enemy combatants. Wasting kids (or simply adult non-combatants) is a different story.

*EDIT: Not that she doesn't have a lot of rage. However, she isn't killing for fun nor murdering children because they have the wrong last name.

These are thoughts from Arya on the insurance man and it seems that she is trying to convince herself that he deserves to die, and I just can't see the Hound needing to do this

• He has lived too long...Why should he have so many years when my father had so few?

• He has no courtesy

• His face is hard and mean

• One of his shoulders was higher than the other, giving him a crooked cast.

• “He is an evil man,”

• “His lips are cruel, his eyes are mean, and he has a villain’s beard

• The old man’s hands were the worst thing about him...His fingers were long and bony, always moving, scratching at his beard, tugging at an ear, drumming on a table, twitching, twitching, twitching. He has hands like two white spiders. The more she watched his hands, the more she came to hate them.

• “He moves his hands too much,”...“He must be full of fear. The gift will bring him peace.”

• “When I kill him he will look in my eyes and thank me.”

So when Arya keeps pestering the Kindly Man about the guy he gives her a reason...

“… they lose their ships, oftimes their very lives. The seas are dangerous, and never more so than in autumn. No doubt many a captain sinking in a storm has taken some small solace in his binder back in Braavos, knowing that his widow and children will not want.” A sad smile touched his lips. “It is one thing to write such a binder, though, and another to make good on it.”

and Arya thinks...

Cat understood. One of them must hate him. One of them came to the House of Black and White and prayed for the god to take him.

Thank you.

It doesn't matter how Arya initially tries to justify it. The Hound does the same thing. It's the fact that she doesn't give a flying shit once it's done and tends to write them off as being as bad as anyone she actually despises. In fact the only feeling she gets from it is joy and relief. Ned doesn't feel that way at all when he kills someone. Arya does. She's a cold blooded killer. She'd use the exact same reasoning with any Frey or Lannister that crossed her path. She doesn't give a shit. Anyone who doesn't think this is clearly missing the point of the character.

Umm.... No he doesn't. That's the whole "killing the is the sweetest thing" bit is about. Totally not justifying it and calling people who do hypocrites.

Exactly! Premeditation = cold-blooded. Killing Dareon = killer. Arya = cold-blooded killer. Pretty straightforward stuff..

Premeditation does not mean cold-blooded. Premeditation means the murder was planned. Cold-blooded means without emotion. People can plan and carry out a murder and then be racked with guilt, anxiety, etc. People can murder someone with no intention to and not feel guilty (for example, someone witnesses a crime in progress, armed robbery goes bad, etc.).

Touche. Though I still doubt she meant the children. Otherwise, why didn't she name the one Frey she did know (her betrothed she met while Bolton held Harrenhal)?

1. We're talking about a nine and twelve year old who probably were not even at the Red Wedding. Why would Arya expect them?

They may have been present and known what was about to occur. That's all Arya would care about.

3. Sandor is a reflection of the path she was taking. However, a few events (including taking his name off the list and joining assassin cult) have changed that path quite a bit (considering the Faceless Men's views of killing, they are quite a bit different types of killers).

Sandor is the path she is taking. The Faceless Men have only made her worse and she's continuing down the path of no return.

5. No. Cold-blooded is lack of emotion. Not murderous rage.

Umm, she shows that once she's done with them. She hardly gives them a second thought. The only thought she gives is who she is going to kill next. She's the definition of a cold blooded killer.

6. Except, no. Arya never goes on about the joys of killing. She might have been happy to kill specific people, but not the act of killing like the Hound goes on about.

The Hound has been at it alot longer than Arya has. You act like just because she's not quite as bad as the Hound yet nullifies anything she has done at her age. I bet the Hound wasn't even as close to being as bad as she was at her age.

1. A rhetorical slip on my part. Lord_Tyrell was arguing that she would kill children Frey without question for just existing and said it was because she was a cold-blooded killer. I was arguing against the idea Arya is going to start murdering children and argued with "cold-blooded" as an extension. I stand by that due to Lord_Tyrell's use of the the term cold-blooded (ie, not actually cold-blooded, but *rage-fueled monster). I would actually agree that she is starting to become an actual cold-blooded killer since joining the Faceless Men (but not quite there yet). Just not Lord_Tyrell's definition which she has actually been moving away from since joining the Faceless Men.

I don't think you know what a cold-blooded killer is. It's not someone like Ramsay, but someone who kills with little to no remorse and actively seeks it. Arya has been actively seeking how to effectively murder people and turn it into a career. She is too far down the path to return.

Also Arya has killed kids before. She's broken through that barrier to where I doubt she'd really give a fuck if she suspected someone had some role in the Red Wedding.

2. That's not my argument at all. It's that there's nothing to show that Arya would start murdering children who did nothing other than be born into the wrong family. Killing a man for a crime she was brought up believing was worth death and a bad man her new "family" wants her to kill are not the same as murdering innocent children. It is quite possible to be able to kill one kind of person in cold blood and not another. Many soldiers can kill other soldiers and enemy combatants. Wasting kids (or simply adult non-combatants) is a different story.

*EDIT: Not that she doesn't have a lot of rage. However, she isn't killing for fun nor murdering children because they have the wrong last name.

I think you're wrong.

Umm.... No he doesn't. That's the whole "killing the is the sweetest thing" bit is about. Totally not justifying it and calling people who do hypocrites.

Actually he justifies it in a different way. He either sees them as not worth living and justifies to himself that no one is any better than he is.

Premeditation does not mean cold-blooded. Premeditation means the murder was planned. Cold-blooded means without emotion. People can plan and carry out a murder and then be racked with guilt, anxiety, etc. People can murder someone with no intention to and not feel guilty (for example, someone witnesses a crime in progress, armed robbery goes bad, etc.).

You're describing exactly what Arya has become.

1 Sandor is the path she is taking. The Faceless Men have only made her worse and she's continuing down the path of no return.

2 The Hound has been at it alot longer than Arya has. You act like just because she's not quite as bad as the Hound yet nullifies anything she has done at her age. I bet the Hound wasn't even as close to being as bad as she was at her age.

3 I don't think you know what a cold-blooded killer is. It's not someone like Ramsay, but someone who kills with little to no remorse and actively seeks it. Arya has been actively seeking how to effectively murder people and turn it into a career. She is too far down the path to return.

Also Arya has killed kids before. She's broken through that barrier to where I doubt she'd really give a fuck if she suspected someone had some role in the Red Wedding.

I think you're wrong.

Actually he justifies it in a different way. He either sees them as not worth living and justifies to himself that no one is any better than he is.

You're describing exactly what Arya has become.

1. Sandor is a different type of killer. He is rage-filled. The Faceless Men are dispassionate.

2. Of course, the Hound was not as bad as before as he was now. Once, he was proto-Hound. I already said Arya was on his path, but starting to become like someone is different than already having become that person.

3. Actually, the issue was you not understanding what "cold-blooded" means. As I stated, I was going by your terming of it.

I am frankly, getting annoyed by these petty "you don't understand" snipes. I clearly understand. I was the one who corrected you in that cold-blooded is killing without remorse than be a rage killer (cold-blooded can be full of rage, but also can be done for things like material wealth where no rage is required). Nor are you some authority who gets to declare who gets and doesn't get a character. You clearly have a different opinion than me, but I don't go around saying "you miss the point" of Arya's character because I'm not rude. Honestly, I should have stopped talking to you a while ago.

1. Sandor is a different type of killer. He is rage-filled. The Faceless Men are dispassionate.

Yeah, and I think their dispassionate nature is only making Arya even colder.

2. Of course, the Hound was not as bad as before as he was now. Once, he was proto-Hound. I already said Arya was on his path, but starting to become like someone is different than already having become that person.

Different, but maybe even worse than the Hound. Plus Arya is still having an incredibly hard time of letting go of her rage.

3. Actually, the issue was you not understanding what "cold-blooded" means. As I stated, I was going by your terming of it.

I am frankly, getting annoyed by these petty "you don't understand" snipes. I clearly understand. I was the one who corrected you in that cold-blooded is killing without remorse than be a rage killer (cold-blooded can be full of rage, but also can be done for things like material wealth where no rage is required). Nor are you some authority who gets to declare who gets and doesn't get a character. You clearly have a different opinion than me, but I don't go around saying "you miss the point" of Arya's character because I'm not rude. Honestly, I should have stopped talking to you a while ago.

Well, agree to disagree then.

"proto-Hound"? :rofl: :rofl:

You're awesome Lord Bronn.

Jon did say he was interested in securing food from the Vale...

I can't think of a better dish xD

I've taken this line to be foreshadowing of Jon and Sansa eventually meeting.

Arya is far from a cold-blooded killer.

I think the biggest hint that Arya is a cold-blooded killer is that she has murdered people in cold blood.

Sansa wouldn't kill innocent children with the surname Frey. I can see her mastery of politeness and deception leading her to becoming as good a schemer as Littlefinger though.

I missed this. This is simply either misunderstanding my point or deliberately changing it so you're right. I have specifically said innocent children. I never tried to claim Arya wouldn't kill a child to save her own life.

I think the biggest hint that Arya is a cold-blooded killer is that she has murdered people in cold blood.

I already explained what I meant by that post. I meant she was not the sort of person who would simply murder someone because they had the wrong last name. In that scenario, she is not. At least not yet. However, someone who deserves to die is a different story. Arya has not murdered any innocent that she wasn't forced to (the guard and her life would have been forfeit if she didn't).

Archived