Rickon Stark destined to die?

houseHB

The very fact that people on this forum don't naturally agree on the outcome seems to me to indicate that people in the north would have difficulty with it too. I would hope it never came to that because a war or even a struggle between Jon and Rickon would be tragic. Anyway, it's not going to happen. Jon has already declared that he isn't interested in becoming the Stark in Winterfell, and that was when he was under the impression that all his half-brothers were dead. How would knowing that Rickon was alive cause him to change his mind?

i agree there will be dissension in the north. as for jon taking winterfell, i think his opinion will change completely when he learns what robb wanted however i think this would have to happen before rickon is "found". he will not fight a stark for winterfell.

i can't imagine it saying anymore than sansa stark lannister cannot inherit winterfell. neither can her husband or any children she may have. i don't think he will be tricky with the wording. the impact on sansa is not going to be so heartbreaking for her as you've stated you think it will be. it removes her inheritance and will chase away tons of would be suitors. it will, however, be heartbreaking for littlefinger. :P

But I think that Robb might have gone step further and really cut her off in every way. And I think Sansa would be just for a short peropd be sad because it would feel as a betrayal, but it also brings her freedom. As for LF, oh yes it will indeed be heartbreaking :)

But I think that Robb might have gone step further and really cut her off in every way. And I think Sansa would be just for a short peropd be sad because it would feel as a betrayal, but it also brings her freedom. As for LF, oh yes it will indeed be heartbreaking :)

what do you mean by cut her off? other than saying she can't get winterfell, what else can he say? he can't banish her from the north. all he can do is take away winterfell from her and tbh, even then, she could fight for it. with the right army. if she wanted to but i honestly doen't see her wanting to do that.

eta:

both rickon and jon would allow her to live there if she were on her own or to visit with her lord husband.

what do you mean by cut her off? other than saying she can't get winterfell, what else can he say? he can't banish her from the north. all he can do is take away winterfell from her and tbh, even then, she could fight for it. with the right army. if she wanted to but i honestly doen't see her wanting to do that.

eta:

both rickon and jon would allow her to live there if she were on her own or to visit with her lord husband.

IDK whether it ever happened in the Wetern history, but in my homeland's history there were cases where fathers, or brothers would even take the surname of the disinherited name. It's a bit radical, and I doubt it will happen, but can you imagine her reaction to her brother renouncing her as his sister. That would be terrible blow for her.

IDK whether it ever happened in the Wetern history, but in my homeland's history there were cases where fathers, or brothers would even take the surname of the disinherited name. It's a bit radical, and I doubt it will happen, but can you imagine her reaction to her brother renouncing her as his sister. That would be terrible blow for her.

sansa's already changed her name. she's a lannister for now. i have a tough time seeing robb write down that he renounces her though. he wasnt trying to punish her just keep winterfell from the lannisters. i think you're worrying about nothing. :) regardless of whether rickon or jon get winterfell, sansa will be welcomed.

sansa's already changed her name. she's a lannister for now. i have a tough time seeing robb write down that he renounces her though. he wasnt trying to punish her just keep winterfell from the lannisters. i think you're worrying about nothing. :) regardless of whether rickon or jon get winterfell, sansa will be welcomed.

I learnt something from my internship: Hoping for the best, preparing for the worst... :)

I don't see how Rickon could die and the plot could keep going. One way or another, Jon's story is leading to something much bigger than the Lord of Winterfell or even King in the North. He may not hold any titles at all (other than Lord Commander) but his achievements will be greater. Similarly, Bran is destined for something well beyond being a Lord, or a Knight. Like Bloodraven, he is about to learn and possible manipulate history for a long time.

Rickon is Ned's last living son. Sansa seems to be coming to some sort of power in the Vale but I think that the way her character is being built, she will eventually stand up to Littlefinger. Perhaps even have some part in his demise. But I cannot see her staking a claim to Winterfell if Rickon is alive. Rickon's return will, I think, be a cause for solidarity among the Starks. They began the story together and have been scattered. They'll all start coming closer again, and I think Rickon will be the catalyst for this.

i think you're being too harsh about Robb he loved his sister he would've kept it basic and if sansa feels betrayed i would be disappointed because that would mean that she still doesn't understand the game as for LF he'd lie down ...try not to cry....cry a lot ....hug the ladder..then go back to scheming

i think you're being too harsh about Robb he loved his sister he would've kept it basic and if sansa feels betrayed i would be disappointed because that would mean that she still doesn't understand the game as for LF he'd lie down ...try not to cry....cry a lot ....hug the ladder..then go back to scheming

It's just one of the possibilities I discuss, I don't actually think Robb would go that far, but it's good to think about possible scenarios. Also, why people think that Sansa's disappointment would mean she doesn't understand her brother? Certainly she would have right to feel a bit hurt knowing that Robb must have known she doesn't want to be married... But at the end, yes, she will understand it... She understands it even in ASOS, way before LF's lessons.

It's just one of the possibilities I discuss, I don't actually think Robb would go that far, but it's good to think about possible scenarios. Also, why people think that Sansa's disappointment would mean she doesn't understand her brother? Certainly she would have right to feel a bit hurt knowing that Robb must have known she doesn't want to be married... But at the end, yes, she will understand it... She understands it even in ASOS, way before LF's lessons.

sure she has every right to be sad but feel betrayed not really

and i meant that I would be disappointed if she felt betrayed because she must know that she wasn't

and just to get this out of the way I AM a huge Sansa fan and supporter i would never hope to say anything bad about her

I think what will have to happen is for Bran to come back as well as Rickon, & together they declare them selves Lord & heir to the Lordship of Winterfell, with Jon as the King in the North, & they can be his heirs until he sires his own children. (Bran knowing thanks to his greenseeing that Jon will eventually be King of all Westeros.)

Rickon is prolly gonna be Eddard's older brother incarnate. True Lord Stark of the North. As fierce as land itself. I don't see boy that promises so much die.

This. I imagine Rickon reign the North as the "hard Kings of Winter" Ned was talking about in AGoT.

Rickon is prolly gonna be Eddard's older brother incarnate. True Lord Stark of the North. As fierce as land itself. I don't see boy that promises so much die.

Of course, we all know what happened to Brandon, don't we? Ned says that the "wolf blood"--that fierceness and wildness that both Arya and Rickon seem to have in spades--led both Lyanna and Brandon to an early grave. He specifically links Brandon's death at a very young age to his fierce, wild nature (and the causal connection between Brandon's impulsive side and his premature death is a lot clearer than the causal connection between Lyanna's impulsive side and her death, since Lyanna could have died in childbirth even if she'd dutifully married Robert instead of running off with Rhaegar). If Rickon is Brandon 2.0, it hardly bodes well for his longevity.

...With that said, Rickon seems like "the spare" who will be Lord of Winterfell so that his surviving siblings can be freed up to do other things. (What other things those are I'm not exactly sure, although I don't think Bran is ever leaving that cave.)

the impact on sansa is not going to be so heartbreaking for her as you've stated you think it will be. it removes her inheritance and will chase away tons of would be suitors.

Sansa would be thrilled at the idea of no one wanting her for her claim, but there was at least one point where she seemed kind of proud of being the heir to Winterfell:

She wasn't a beggar, no matter what her aunt said. She was thirteen, a woman flowered and wed, the heir to Winterfell.

Not that I think she would ever challenge Rickon (or Jon, if that somehow ever came up) for Winterfell if it came down to it--unless Littlefinger succeeds in completely corrupting her and turning her into a person as callous and ambitious as he is--but I think her reaction to having lost her claim to Winterfell would be mixed.

Of course, we all know what happened to Brandon, don't we? Ned says that the "wolf blood"--that fierceness and wildness that both Arya and Rickon seem to have in spades--led both Lyanna and Brandon to an early grave. He specifically links Brandon's death at a very young age to his fierce, wild nature (and the causal connection between Brandon's impulsive side and his premature death is a lot clearer than the causal connection between Lyanna's impulsive side and her death, since Lyanna could have died in childbirth even if she'd dutifully married Robert instead of running off with Rhaegar). If Rickon is Brandon 2.0, it hardly bodes well for his longevity.

I don't believe so. I honestly believes the "hard Kings of Winter" Ned talked about while in the crypts with Rob all had wolf blood.

I think that Rickon will bring the Starks and perhaps the North/Wildings back to their old ways.

No matter what Robb's proclamation says it will be subject to challenge--by LF or Tyrion through Sansa, by Wyman through Rickon, by Jon, by Stannis or Roose. I think it's going to get messy before it gets clean.

Archived