What was Rhaegars name for Jon?

PrinceBreakspear

Hey, I'm new here so sorry if this has been posted before. Assuming that R+L=J is true, what do you think Rhaegar was planning to name his new child? If it was a girl I guess it would have been Visenya to complete his dragon with three head motif. If it was a boy, I have no idea, Orys maybe? What do you guys think?

Aemon maybe, in honour of Maester Aemon, his Great Grand Uncle he corresponded with about the Prince that was Promised prophecy?

Daeron, because he was born in Dorne, and Daeron I conquered Dorne (though only briefly) and Daeron II brought Dorne into the realm?

Maybe Baelor, because Baelor Breakspear and Baelor the Blessed were pretty cool dudes who people remembered fondly.

Most likely Viserys.

My take (guess) is that after he met Lyanna, Rhaegar gave up his recreation of the three headed dragon, realizing he'd misconstrued. Perhaps he let Lyanna name, in which case Brandon Targaryen would be apt, for his is the song of ice and fire.

BTW OP, a child can be named before birth, so it's quite possible Jon does have a Targ name and Ned renamed him to hide it.

Jon Snow sounds mightily like it could be a play on Jon Doe - a placeholder name that's used for persons who's real name has been lost or forgotten.

If he thought he was going to be a girl I think he would have wanted to name him Visenya, So his kiddies could mirror Aegon I and his sisters. I don't think he doubted that the baby would be born female because he was so into the prophecy. Which is why I wonder if the name he whispered before he died was Visenya for his child he would never see or if he did say Lyanna.

Corn. Which would explain why the ravens keep repeating that word. He was a sweet summer child and Rhaegar a fan of roasted corn cob with lemon butter.

Corn of the house Targaryen the first of his name, king of the kernels and the first men, lord of the seven popcorns and the protector of the realm.

Jon was probably named by Ned so it's Jon for Jon Arryn.

I think Rhaegar was hoping Jon would be a girl so that it would be Rhaenys, Aegon and Visenya.

Don't know why he named his daughter Rhaenys and not Visenya, probably because he preferred Queen Rhaenys over her sister or summat.

Anyway Rhaella had a girl so Dany can be his third head and he can name her Visenya I guess.

As for Jon probably a Targaryen name like Jahaerys or Baelor. Dunno really

If he thought he was going to be a girl I think he would have wanted to name him Visenya, So his kiddies could mirror Aegon I and his sisters. I don't think he doubted that the baby would be born female because he was so into the prophecy. Which is why I wonder if the name he whispered before he died was Visenya for his child he would never see or if he did say Lyanna.

I would love that ;)

He would've been so disappointed if after all that Lyanna gave him a boy :P

I think Jon is definitly Neds name chosen for Jon Arryn and to further conceal Jon's real parentage. They all named children for one another Robert named Edric for Ned, Cersei clearly was not letting Robert have ought to do with the official royal kiddywinks names. Ned named Robb for Robert and Jon for Jon Arryn, Jon Arryn Named Sweet Robin for King Robert too and Some unknown Dayne named Erdic Dayne for Ned??? who are his parents all we know is one is a sibling of Ashara, and why?

If Jon had remained with lyanna and Rheagar and they had retained the realm I don't doubt he would be a Viserys or Viserion, as Rheagar was cleary attempting to re do Aegon and his sisters. Though his being male did kind of screw with that.

Archived