R+L=J v.54

Angalin

Since you guys are talking in terms of our world genetics I'd like to point out this isn't how inheritance works.

Agreed. I'm simply looking at it like "ethnicity" and focusing on the blood since I imagine old gods and new gods don't care about inheritance.

http://web.archive.o...pts/031899.html Granny Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons? George_RR_Martin Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold. Revanshe So she won't be able to do it again? George_RR_Martin Probably not.

Dany is not immune to fire, and she is not fire resistant, either.

Zero support for this. They are known to tolerate heat somewhat better than an average person.

See above.

i don't agree with you. I never said she was immune to fire. I said RESISTANT. "Somewhat better than an average person" would probably qualify as "resistant", although I do think it's more than that. It's debatable but I simply don't agree. We shall see.

Random thought here

But I believe Jon "woke the dragon" when he lifted Alliser Thorne by the neck. It was a really weird moment the way it was written. Almost felt like one of GRRM hints. Jon

was just quietly taking everything they threw at him and then snapped

I think it's more of his Targ side manifestation than the Stark side. Starks don't snap like that, they have a natural hot temper, so if it was a typical Stark reaction he would be kicking and punching those guys since the beginning.

That moment in the book really hit me as GRRM trying to imply something

i don't agree with you. I never said she was immune to fire. I said RESISTANT. "Somewhat better than an average person" would probably qualify as "resistant", although I do think it's more than that. It's debatable but I simply don't agree. We shall see.

there's actually compelling evidence that Dany is not resistant to fire at all.

She gets burned in the fighting pits for starters. And even careful reading of the pyre scene reveals that her immunity to fire WAS circumstantial.

I *highly* recommend the following read: http://asoiaf.wester...pyre-revisited/

furthermore, I think we should take GRRM's words of "Dany enjoys hot baths" at face value :)

All it means is, well girlfriend likes some steamy hot baths.

The fire-immunity issue is really just good propaganda, evolved from people that were somewhat ignorant (Jorah, the Dothraki of her Khalasaar, Dany herself), observing a magical event (Dany *not burning* in a fire in which a witch was casting a spell) that they didn't truly understand.

There is zero support for any fire resistance on Dany's part except that funeral pyre occasion about which GRRM says that that was a magical one-time event. She likes hot baths but so do other characters, she gets burnt and she suffers from heat during the crossing of the Red dessert like anyone else, and originally, she has to step away from the pyre because the heat is too much for her.

As for other Targs, we have Egg tolerating a hot summer better than Dunk, but that's about it.

There is zero support for any fire resistance on Dany's part except that funeral pyre occasion about which GRRM says that that was a magical one-time event. She likes hot baths but so do other characters, she gets burnt and she suffers from heat during the crossing of the Red dessert like anyone else, and originally, she has to step away from the pyre because the heat is too much for her.

As for other Targs, we have Egg tolerating a hot summer better than Dunk, but that's about it.

Ya agreed, GRRM has said that some Targs have more of a 'heat' resistance than non Targs, but heat resistance is a lot different than fire resistance...

How about Aegon and his sisters flying around on fire breathing dragons? That doesn't show fire resistance at all in the Targ bloodline? I simply think their magic is waining and has been diluted. I like to believe there is some magic in the Targs as I feel the same way about the Starks. I have an overarching belief in the magic vs science final battle where the starks, targs, giants, direwolves, others, CotF, Greensears, etc need to fight the battle for the dawn against the lannisters, the Seven, the Citadel and the humans. We will see how it plays out. GRRM has always been sly in his answers about this topic. There is still room to believe.

How about Aegon and his sisters flying around on fire breathing dragons? That doesn't show fire resistance at all in the Targ bloodline? I simply think their magic is waining and has been diluted. I like to believe there is some magic in the Targs as I feel the same way about the Starks. I have an overarching belief in the magic vs science final battle where the starks, targs, giants, direwolves, others, CotF, Greensears, etc need to fight the battle for the dawn against the lannisters, the Seven, the Citadel and the humans. We will see how it plays out. GRRM has always been sly in his answers about this topic. There is still room to believe.

You'd have to supply evidence that flying a dragon does require fire resistance in the first place. So far, this is merely your assumption. Drogon is hot to the touch but Dany does not have a blistered bum, unlike her hands as she touched the melting spear which pierced Drogon's skin. Dragons are much cooler on the outside than inside, and when they emit fire, they certainly do not do so on their own back where the rider sits.

Archived