Season 4 Roundup

Westeros

WHY anyone would ever "stray greatly" from ASoS is beyond me. But I'm sure D&D can do better if season two is anything to go by... :lmao:

One of the most highly regarded fantasy books out there, but hey, stray greatly!

Season 4 might be easier to watch if it strays further from the books as then it will just be a different series with characters with similar names to a really good series of books.

True, the books are holding them back from this great story they want to tell.

Oberyn was seen doing spear training so that's not happening.

Ohh man that is such a relief.

I think he's replacing Ilyn Payne, and is helping Jaime to train with his left hand. Either that or something to do with Meryn Trant due to their previous interaction at the start of season 3.

This would actually be really cool. This or him fighting Meryn would be awesome either way.

Its looking like they won't have time to show the Symon Silvertongue plot given that the PW is going to be in episode 2 but that doesn't mean that they won't have Bronn kill anyone for Tyrion. This is purely hypothetical but maybe Tyrion will have Bronn kill some of the less protected witnesses in his trial. This may have come from just watching "Gliding Over All" the Breaking Bad episode again and hoping that MIchelle MacLaren integrated a great montage of murders into Game of Thrones akin to hers in that show. But they ought to show Tyrion's moral descent somehow and him doing something like this would make his later actions come less out of the blue. I know many on this board suspect that they'll completely alter the Hands of Gold scene (and maybe they will) but remember how much this show likes character transformation ala Jaime and Theon. One would hope that they take Tyrion in a dark direction and make it in part of his own volition rather than him being solely the victim of circumstance.

One would hope that they take Tyrion in a dark direction and make it in part of his own volition rather than him being solely the victim of circumstance.

I suspect they'll do with Tyrion what they did with Arya; they made her transition into a violent, premeditated killer sudden and directly related to a specific trauma (the RW) as opposed to having Arya kill earlier as she did in the books (the guard in ACOK). With Tyrion, they'll probably make his transition very sudden and specifically related to the trial, Jaime's betrayal, and whatever it is that goes down with Tywin and Shae, rather than trying to "set the stage" by hinting at darker depths beforehand. That will make his murder of Tywin and, I assume, Shae, that much more shocking and dramatic, since it will seem so far out of character for TV Tyrion as he's been characterized, much as TV Arya getting her premeditated murder on seemed out of character for her.

For all the show's detours to date--and there have been a lot--it always gets to the same destination in the end, so I have every confidence that even though TV Tyrion's characterization has been different from his book self, he'll wind up in the same place Book Tyrion was in at the end of ASOS: condemned kingslayer, Tywin and Shae's murderer, estranged from Jaime as a result of his confession, and fleeing to Essos.

George R R Martins books are much slower than the series were having 1 series per year so what will happen when HBO have no more material while he's slowly writing? Also surely they will make AFFC coincide with season 3?!

D&D know the ending, so they will just go ahead and do it in their own way.

First chapter of feast happen in middle of storm, and second chapter happen after Tyrion's duel so they will be included in season four.

D&D will push on, probably having more talks with GRRM.

It won't likely go down like this, but there was a manga series called Fullmetal Alchemist that got made into an anime series. It had the same problem--the show catching up to the author. In that case, the author didn't want the series spoiled so she gave the anime team full permission to make up their own storyline past the current point. It's verrry different from how the manga turned out, but not bad per se (do not want to start a brawl with FMA fans).

Set photos of a scene where three men are burned alive.

Interesting. It looks like a very intense scene! They will have to add a lot of filler here. Hopefully they return Stannis' character to the badass he was in S2 now that Davos has given him a purpose.

Personally, I wouldn't have liked that at all. Of all recastings, that would be one of the worst. To me, the point is that Theon looks the same on the outside but has been fundamentally changed on the inside by Ramsay's games.

On a side note: I might have missed it, but isn't it very possible that the amount of screen time for Theon is a budget thing? Having two guys in a room must be one of the cheapest things to record, right? Sure, there are scenes in King's Landing and elsewhere of the same type, but they would mostly have been filler as well.

Oh yeah! Massive sets and tons of characters are very expensive to film. Working with two characters in a single room can drastically reduce expenses but GOT have never shied away from large extravagant scenes.

D&D will push on, probably having more talks with GRRM.

It won't likely go down like this, but there was a manga series called Fullmetal Alchemist that got made into an anime series. It had the same problem--the show catching up to the author. In that case, the author didn't want the series spoiled so she gave the anime team full permission to make up their own storyline past the current point. It's verrry different from how the manga turned out, but not bad per se (do not want to start a brawl with FMA fans).

And then, as the manga series was ending, the same studio went back and did a whole other series which was canonically 99% faithful to the source material (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood). The same might be done with GOT several years from now as the series is winding down, if the current show diverges sufficiently

GRRM confirmed at Capclave this weekend that material from AFFC and ADWD would be included in Season 4. It will be interesting to see what that material is (Theon material at the very least, I imagine).

And then, as the manga series was ending, the same studio went back and did a whole other series which was canonically 99% faithful to the source material (Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood). The same might be done with GOT several years from now as the series is winding down, if the current show diverges sufficiently

GRRM confirmed at Capclave this weekend that material from AFFC and ADWD would be included in Season 4. It will be interesting to see what that material is (Theon material at the very least, I imagine).

We know that Brienne and Pod will start their journey this season, some Theon's chapters will have to happen (taking moat Caillin, early chapters on Winterfell) since we know Roose Bolston will be this season. Not sure about the Iron Islands, but Balon have to die soon, thanks to the leeches

D&D know the ending, so they will just go ahead and do it in their own way.

First chapter of feast happen in middle of storm, and second chapter happen after Tyrion's duel so they will be included in season four.

Why would Martin want his story spoiled by a tv series? He spends decades writing this, his own baby, only for people to learn the ending by watching the tv show? I wouldnt be able to handle that if I were him. It would put a dent in his book sales as well.

Yeah, probably some early Theon chapters with some invented material (maybe related with hunting Rickon?). As franko above said we have good indications that Brienne's AFfC quest also starts this season. Bran is, aside from Coldhands, completely out of his ASoS material, so the show will have to delve in ADwD (or replace his journey northwards with invented stuff; something to that effect has been leaked). Sansa's Eyrie AFfC arc is quite possible as well as it seems many principal Vale characters are going to feature in S4 (maybe Lords Declarant storyline?)

I personaly hope Dany will plunge headlong into ADwD as well. She has measly two chapters of ASoS left; I just don't see them stretching that to 10 episodes. I don't want to see her stuck in Slaver's Bay for season upon season (3,4,5, maybe 6) so the sooner Meereen story is wrapped up the better. Get her the hell out of there ASAP. Invent stuff if necessary, I don't care.

Per the WiC.net summary, Martin doesn't think that anybody else will be taking up Marillion's role (nor will Marillion himself be fulfilling it), which is...strange.

That is odd. It's pretty easy to scare up a Marillion substitute--introduce a not-Marillion character to creep on Sansa and assist Lysa in her murder attempt--but if there is no Marillion and no character serving Marillion's function in the story, then that would seem to require some big changes to that portion of Sansa's ASOS/AFFC arc.

Why would Martin want his story spoiled by a tv series? He spends decades writing this, his own baby, only for people to learn the ending by watching the tv show? I wouldnt be able to handle that if I were him. It would put a dent in his book sales as well.

There is no chance that show would wait. HBO wouldn't have taken the project without knowing the ending. There will be no effect on book sales; everyone who read the books knows that book are several times better in almost every aspect. There will also come a point where show will lose his steam (any show that went beyond five season, somewhat loses its steam).

A change that has repercussions for season 4 is Marillion's tongue removal from the first season. Martin said that the change was made (from an anonymous singer being the victim of a de-tonguing) because they wanted Joffrey to maim someone the audience would recognize. He believes this is an issue because of the part the singer plays in Sansa's storyline, how he affects her interactions with others in the book, and he doesn't believe another character will be fulfilling that role on Game of Thrones.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/10/grrm-talks-season-4-beyond/

So the reasoning was, tell us again that Joffrey is horrible. That's worth affecting Sansa's arc in a way that concerns the author.

http://winteriscoming.net/2013/10/grrm-talks-season-4-beyond/

So the reasoning was, tell us again that Joffrey is horrible. That's worth affecting Sansa's arc in a way that concerns the author.

The part Marillion played in ASOS could be easily given to another character without affecting Sansa's story in the slightest.

It sounds like they aren't going to do that, but that's a completely separate matter, and presumably even if they hadn't maimed Marillion they wouldn't be using him.

Archived