Season 4 Roundup

Westeros

The part Marillion played in ASOS could be easily given to another character without affecting Sansa's story in the slightest.

It sounds like they aren't going to do that, but that's a completely separate matter, and presumably even if they hadn't maimed Marillion they wouldn't be using him.

Yeah. I'm not so concerned with Marillion per se being discarded, I'm more concerned about there being no other character created to fulfill his role in the story in ASOS and AFFC. I really don't see how you get around that without radically rewriting Sansa's ASOS/AFFC Eyrie arc.

Hello, first time poster here! what if Marillion is part of the "controversial Sansa chapter" in WoW?? it would affect Sansa storyline quite a bit, since it supposed to be a turning point, good or bad, for her. maybe thats why GRRM is upset?

Hello, first time poster here! what if Marillion is part of the "controversial Sansa chapter" in WoW?? it would affect Sansa storyline quite a bit, since it supposed to be a turning point, good or bad, for her. maybe thats why GRRM is upset?

That's a really interesting point. It could very well be, and he's not saying that as the reason (he doesn't want to spoil the storyline).

Marillion's dead. Unless Baelish somehow smuggled him down the mountain past the Gates of the Moon without Royce and his men noticing.

I was about to post that he's dead but then I remembered Robert still hears him singing, so you know never know.

The Eyrie's a tiny place. For Marillion to still be around would require a considerable feat of logistics (moreover, he'd presumably have to still be up on the mountain, since he didn't descend). And why would Robin hear him, but nobody else, since previously everyone could hear him?

Yeah. I'm not so concerned with Marillion per se being discarded, I'm more concerned about there being no other character created to fulfill his role in the story in ASOS and AFFC. I really don't see how you get around that without radically rewriting Sansa's ASOS/AFFC Eyrie arc.

I've read the books, and I'm not entirely clear why Marillion (or someone taking his place) is so critical to Sansa's arc... Little help?

Well I guess they need someone to blame Lysa's death on... Hmmm....

Per the WiC.net summary, Martin doesn't think that anybody else will be taking up Marillion's role (nor will Marillion himself be fulfilling it), which is...strange.

This make no sense. Nobody even remembers that singer or knows his name from the first season. You could literally have some singer show up and call himself Marillon and nobody would give two shits about it.

I've read the books, and I'm not entirely clear why Marillion (or someone taking his place) is so critical to Sansa's arc... Little help?

Well I guess they need someone to blame Lysa's death on... Hmmm....

That, and the moral turmoil that his being framed for Lysa's death prompts in her (which she ultimately shoves into the back of her mind).

This make no sense. Nobody even remembers that singer or knows his name from the first season. You could literally have some singer show up and call himself Marillon and nobody would give two shits about it.

I was at that convention and I don't believe GRRM actually said what was quoted. He said he doesn't know whether Marillon will be replaced. Not that he doesn't think he will be replaced. And even if he did know, he might not be willing to reveal that plot point anyhow. Marillon was used as an example of the butterfly effect, he wasn't going to get into Marillon's actual story.

I think it's a great idea that they are a getting a jump on introducing characters that will have bigger roles in the future. Plus a few of the characters' storylines might be a little bare this season so pushing up some of the stuff AFFC/ADWD is makes a lot of sense.

It's a lot easier to create new material for Bran after meeting Bloodraven than before. He can't wander around in the snow for two seasons. Instead, they could give us a lot of scenes from the past, like flashbacks, from Bran's perspective. We could even see the Tower of Joy, that was missing in S1.

Archived