Tyrion, Direwolves, Bran's Fall, the Wall

MidnightAurora

I checked and there seem to be no posts/threads related to this topic and if there is I missed it. I finished book 2 and starting book 3, but something has been bothering me since book one and I am hoping to gather other people's thoughts. Per many instances thedirewolves can sense something is off with someone and they start to growl etc.. They also can sense if a Stark is endanger and come to their rescue. Here are some of my thoughts that I thought was odd. The direwolves saw and sensed Tyrion while he and the Royal family visited Winterfell and during this visit the wolves did not seem to mind him or from at least I can remember there were no instances of them growling or showing any aggression towards him. Going to the Wall with Jon and Tyrion was talking with Jon and made a seemingly innocent gesture to Jon and Ghost comes bolting out of nowhere and bares his fangs a first instant of agression over something innocent. That I thought was odd. Once on the Wall, Tyrion is enjoying himself and seems to be friendly with Jon and giving him advice on matters. Tyrion seems to be in no rush to leave the Wall as he had spent weeks there. Although he is sadden when the library books are burnt especially with all the books/knowledge they had. (That reminded me of the fire in Alexandria in Eygpt with all the knowldge that was lost in that fire). While at the wall he tells Jon he learns things everywhere he knows and at times seem to defend Jon. Back to my point of the thread, Pg. 187 (sorry if the page is different for other volumes), but when a bird came from Winterfell Jon breathed Bran and Tyrion instantly patted Jon on the shoulder telling him he was sorry. Tyrion was not involved, had not read the letter and instantly thought it meant Bran's death why?? The letter of course stated Bran had awoke and would live although crippled. Pg. 188 "Bran is going to live!" He whopped. Lannister looked startled. Jon put him down and thrust the paper into his hands. "Here, read it," he said. If Tyrion had no knowledge of the Bran situation nor any part in it than why would he not have a better reaction to the news? Would he be grateful the boy would live or did he start to think that since Bran is awake he might spill what he knows?? In all intense and purpose his reaction was suspcious and the fact that although he did not seem to want to leave after this news he could not wait to leave, why? Again if he was fully innocent why would Bran awakening cause him anxiety?? He went back to Winterfell at only the request of Jon and see if he could help make Bran something to ride a horse again. This brings up another suspcious encounter because when Tyrion went to Winterfell he was presenting the design to enable Bran to ride and all of a sudden Rickon bursts in follwed by the direwolves. Tyrion was showing the plans and once the direwolves caught his scent they started to surround he growl the 2nd time they showed him aggression for seemingly nothing. The direwolves only backed off because the Starks commanded them to. After Winterfell, he rushed to Kings Landing, for what purpose was he in such a hurry to get back if he is completely innocent? At the inn, he could have ignored the folks or ignore the fact that he recognized Lady Catelyn, yet he chose to acknowlege her maing aware for everyone in the inn to know who she was, the fact that she was not at Winterfell where he just came from and started to goad her? Why would he do this if he was so innocent?? Later books tell the whole scenario that I will not go into in case it spoils it for those who have not gone far in the series yet. The question, I pose to all is even if Tyrion was innocent or so he claims with the Bran thing, why would the direwolves attack him espcially when he seemed to not making any aggressive moves on the Starks?? What could Tyrion be guilty of that the direwolves caught scent of?? Why would Tyrion rush so quickly back to Kings Landing after the news of Bran awakening and not have a good reaction to that news?? Why would he goad Lady Catelyn if he was so innocent and let it be known to all in the inn that she was there in secret?? Choices choice..

Thoughts what is Tyrion guilty of??

Tyrion is not guilty of any crime ( :P), but what is his intention really? Ok to start: after Bran's fall, Tyrion and his twin siblings had this talk and the way he talked, Tyrion seemed to suspect that his siblings had a part on Bran's falling. When he said "the boy may yet live," he was silently observing Jaime and Cersei's reactions. Did he know the two were together in the same place where Bran exactly fell? I dunno, but he got his suspicions and everybody knew the twins remained in Winterfell when the king's party went to hunt. Did he know his siblings were having a secret affair? Well, Tyrion wasn't stupid so maybe. What's up with the wolves? The wolves protect their masters while Tyrion protects his siblings (particularly Jaime) who are responsible of crippling Bran. So even if Tyrion gave good advice to Jon and designed a saddle for Bran, his intention wasn't really to befriend them but to make sure if his sibling incestuous affair remained a secret. He's very much interested on what Bran may have said after he woke. The saddle design was his reason to get to check on Bran but he really want to know was things he had discovered. What would he do if Bran remembered? Not sure, but if he won't do any, House Lannister would be doomed and he'd be doomed as well. Was Tyrion a threat? Well, even a very small man can cast a very large shadow. BTW, not saying the wolves are detectors of human conducts

(if it is so, they failed in detecting the treachery hidden inside Theon and Roose).

Sorry.. :blushing:

But this is fantasy...

Thanks for the reply, but not exactly what I am looking forso let me try to explain myself better and what I am thinking.

We know Tyrion is not guilty of any crimes that we know of as he is a cunning man. My thoughts and questions relate to he actions and reactions regarding a few things and the direwolves reactions to him. Tyrion made seemingly innocent gestures to Jon in the woods on the way to the wall and Ghost can out of nowhere and ponced on him.

Before Jon knew what the letter stated about Bran he was offering his condolescences as he expected the letter stated Bran had died. When Jon came back stating he awoke and wil live Tyrion seemed as if he would hrow up. He brazenly decided it was time for him to leave the Wall.

He went back to Winterfell at Jon's request and so he could design something for Bran as it was not Tyrion's desire to return to Winterfell.

At Winterfell, he was explaining the design and the wolves come in with Rickon and turn on Tyrion again for no apparent reason.

After Winterfell, he purposely goaded Catelyn where if he kept his mouth shut he could have been on his way to KL w/o incident. That appears to be his mistake.

What I am thinking is why did the direwolves attack Tyrion or show aggression towards him each time when he was doing nothing more than talking to the STark children?? Could the wolves scent something is off with him??

As for the others the wolves showed distaste toward the Frey wards and Theon when he returned to WF and as he was attacking sense something was off. I think they did not sense Theon earlier because Theon was loyal until he went to Pyke and all his dady issues came to a head. As for Roose, it seemed like the wolves did not get enough of him to really sense him and plus Robb and others trusted him. I am sure later on they would catch something.

Back to my question is why did the wolves showed aggression towards Tyrion and why did they show it when Tyrion was just talking and showing no aggression?? Did the direwolves sense something we can not see/read and we are not aware of??

Uhh... enter key? *eyestrain*

The wolves are shown to be wary of untrustworthy people, but as often as not they are simply picking up on the feelings of their masters. Jon is a suspicious type by nature and undoubtedly familiar with Ned's distain towards Lannisters. When Robb meets with Tyrion he's already suspicious of Lannister involvement in Bran's fall and the wolves pick up on his wariness. Of course, Tyrion knowing/suspecting what happened with Bran and protecting the culprit couldn't have helped his case.

It's possible, though unlikely, that the wolves could foresee Tyrion doing something dastardly towards their humans in the future, the same way Summer coulf foresee Bran shouldn't be climbing. Wouldn't make much sense though.

I reread the passage about Jon getting news about Bran and it didn't seem particularly suspicious: ser Alliser went out of his way to make it sound like the news were bad. Jon automatically assumed the worst, so it would make sense Tyrion would react acordingly. Then Jon storms into the room shouting that Bran is awake, hugs Tyrion and twirls him around. Can't blame the poor Imp for looking disconcerted, even if you ignore the fact Bran might know things that would get Tyrion's beloved brother into deep trouble.

Running into Catelyn in wayside inn must have been quite a surprise for Tyrion. Since he was *not* aware of the assassin being sent to off Bran, he had no reason to hide his recognition: indeed, it would have been more suspicious. For all he knew, Catelyn might have been on his way to visit his (by then) sick father.

Btw this is 'still reading: AGoT' section, so any mentions of future betrayals should be in spoiler tags.

Catelyn did not know her father was sick until after the battle at Whispering Wood and she did not think to visit her father, but rush back to Winterfell and send ravens to do what Ned told her to do and sent up defenses. The direwolves do take heed of the emotions of their masters, but during the time at Winterfell when showing the design for the saddle he did for Bran (and he only visited Winterfell at Jon's request not of his own accord) the Starks were not angry, but the wolves cornered him after Rickon came in and the wolves followed. I was merely observing that after the good news of Bran awakening he seemed to want to get out of there awfully quick for someone who had been there for weeks and appeared to be enjoying himself. I will re-read what I found and get back to everyone with a clearer picture of what i am thinking.

Archived