Analyzing the analyses: Categorical investigation of demographics

Mladen

Read the Tales of Dunk and Egg then. The Targs had their rotten apples aye, but they also have their positives, plenty of them actually.

Sure they had some respectable members(Baelor Breakspear), but as a whole I will confess that I dislike them. They seemed to be too arrogant(even in D&E) and personally I find it hard to bring myself to like a family which routinely practices incest.

2. Lannisters

To cheer for this family is to discover some pretty dysfunctional relationships of your own. There are two paths you can take, you can either love them or hate them, but one thing is certain – no one is indifferent to them. Their honor is questionable at least, and that’s why they are so delicious characters. They provoke most heated arguments and people rarely agree upon anything. Except the fact that what Jaime did to Bran was really bad.

As a proud Lannister fanboy, I have to agree with your analysys. My family in not nearly as dysfunctional as Tywin's (I don't think the rest of the House has the same problems, it's only Tywin and his kids), but is not the Stark big-happy-family either. I'm a little brother, and as Asha pointed out, I have the typical resentment for the elder one. I have always been at odds with my parents, growing to despise them in the end. For me, there are two kinds of people: me, and other people, who I treat depending on personal sympathy. Family has no special status. I feel much closer to my friends than to my family, which I usually try to avoid. If my parents or my brother should die, I would probably just shrug and say "So, what's for dinner ?". That's where most of my liking for Tyrion comes from. I think that Tywin feels like this too. For all his talk about "the good of the family", he hates one son and thinks his daughter is a moron useful only for marriage alliances (I know what you're thinking. "But she IS a moron useful only for marriage alliances". I wonder, though, how much of her personality stems from this treatment...). Even his love for Jaime is questionable. In their only interaction we see Tywin just being his usual self (you will do this, she will do that, shut up I decide), and when Jaime talks back (probably the first time he really does it in his life) Tywin just says "you're not my son. Get out of my sight." He only likes Kevan (though I think it's more respect for his usefulness and obedience than brotherly love). The House Lannister Tywin cares about is a name, an abstract concept, a political party, not a group of people he's supposed to individually care about.

About their honour, I quote Catelyn: the only dishonor is in failing (or it was Cersei ? I don't remember). They strictly follow the principles enunciated in Machiavelli's "The Prince", which essentially says "the end justifies the means if the end is good" (people tend to forgot the second part and think Machiavelli advocated political ruthlessness for the sake of power). I don't like Tywin, but I admire his methods, he is the (almost) perfect politician.For this reason I think Tywin more than Kevan was the good man fighting for the bad cause, personal interest instead of the good of the realm.

Last thing: I am probably the only one on this forum who thinks shoving Bran from that window was good. Let me explain. If Bran would have gone to Ned saying "dad, dad, I just saw the queen and his brother making kissing and making strange things while naked !" he would have told Robert (since he didn't knew the princes were not Robert's). Then he would have killed Cersei and Jaime (or most probably Jaime would have killed Robert to defend Cersei), there would have been a war, thousands of people would have died. I think the incest was really bad, not the cover-up, since it was better than the alternative. And had Joff not sent the assassin, no one would have blamed the Lannisters.

1. Starks

We are all Stark men on this forum, and therefore we are all biased towards this family. Rare are those that don’t wish the best for the wolves of Winterfell. Their honor is legendary, even though some of them had done some questionable things. But we all forgive them everything. Our loyalty sometimes brings the best out of us, and sometimes we are dedicated in thinking the most gruesome end of those that harmed our heroes. No matter who you are and where you come from, loving Starks is inevitable.

Loving Starks is inevitable, not loving House Stark. Yes, their honour is legendary, and some of them had done some questionable things. But it's their "honour" I don't forgive them. I personally hate people like them, people too honorable to shit are people too honorable to live, in this world as well as in Westeros. Reading Eddard's POV made me want to take his head and bash it against a wall shouting "Oh for the sake of all the gods, THINK for a change, Ned ! How can you be so stupid ?" It was one of the most frustrating things I ever read. I was glad when they chopped his head off, so I never had to read him again ! That said, I love Sansa. She started just as naive as the others, if not more, but in children it is justified. Her arc was amazing to read (much more than it was to live, luckily I'm not her), and now that she is starting to learn the game and temper her Stark honour with reason she became my favourite character, alongside Tyrion, the only Lannister who is both good-natured AND politically astute (Jaime is also good, but he's not a player). That's why I desperately want them to meet again and collaborate, they could conquer the world if they put their minds to it (and they would make it a better place too !).

Yes, we really are. I cant think of anyone as delightful as myself.

And we are totally modest... We would never praise ourselves... Really, is there anyone with real name as nickname, beside me? I don't know whether I am the only one... That would be so cool...

Oh, yes, Linda has it, but she is Administrator, she doesn't count.

snip

Let me tell you about dysunctional family. For my 21st birthday, my parents gave a will... Yes, you know that document Robb wrote... They said that now I am grown-up man, after attorney wrote it down...

Last thing: I am probably the only one on this forum who thinks shoving Bran from that window was good. Let me explain. If Bran would have gone to Ned saying "dad, dad, I just saw the queen and his brother making kissing and making strange things while naked !" he would have told Robert (since he didn't knew the princes were not Robert's). Then he would have killed Cersei and Jaime (or most probably Jaime would have killed Robert to defend Cersei), there would have been a war, thousands of people would have died. I think the incest was really bad, not the cover-up, since it was better than the alternative. And had Joff not sent the assassin, no one would have blamed the Lannisters.

Not the first one, but it shows some really messed up moral compass.

Well since we are profiling posters, I know of a very secretive, very powerful and influential crew that runs most of the rackets around here. The harpies. I mean, its hard to not notice their presence but these woman are cunning, sly, devious, and dangerous. You would do well not to bother them. Forum goers who love roose, varys, sansa, cat, jon, theon and jaime, whilst disliking greyjoys and targs, seem to yield these forum harpies.

Really, is there anyone with real name as nickname, beside me? I don't know whether I am the only one... That would be so cool...

Brah, E-Ro is my real life nickname since, like, forever! Even my mother calls me ero ffs!

Brah, E-Ro is my real life nickname since, like, forever! Even my mother calls me ero ffs!

I meant real name as alias, not nickname as alias. My real name is Mladen, your real name certainly isn't E-Ro...

The idea was that we should talk about fans through their analysis, because nothing better reveals who you are than the posts about the books. The thread would be of lighter form because people don't like sharing personal data. I thought that the best way to see ASOIAF fan and westeros.org poster is through what we write. And add to that butterbumps' view on things...

Well, that gets to a different sort of analysis, methinks. I think one can divide threads and posts into several categories. I also agree that you are right, in that the type of post says a lot about the poster.

Starting with thread categories, this is how they can be summarized and categorized:

1) Why *blank* character is awesome

2) Why *blank* character is evil

3) Lets compare character (X) with character (Y): which one would win in a contest involving *blank* activity? This activity may or may not involve something that happens in Westeros vs. in the real world.

4) Here is my completely crackpot theory (almost certainly has been already theorized in a prior post by someone else).

5) Sub-category of #4) - I have compiled multiple quotes from the series to support my crackpot theory

6) Character (X) is a Targaryen. Here is my proof.

7) Character (X) is AAR/PTWP. Here is my proof.

8) What if this one event in the entire series never happened or happened differently? Would the story in a completely hypothetical borderline fanfic way change?

9) Highly analytical posts from usually a poster who has >2000 posts. Usually quite awesome in its detail and thoughtfulness.

10) Finally, miscellaneous questions, thoughts, and musings.

So, what do these threads say about the thread starter/poster?

(Edited to correct the inadvertent emoticon)

Well, that gets to a different sort of analysis, methinks. I think one can divide threads and posts into several categories. I think you are right in that the type of post says a lot about the poster.

Starting with thread categories, this is how I see it:

3) Lets compare character (A) with character ( B): which one would win in a contest involving (X)?

4) Here is my completely crackpot theory (probably has been already theorized in a prior post by someone else)

5) Sub-category of #4) - I have compiled multiple quotes from the series to support my crackpot theory

8) What if this one event in the entire series never happened or happened differently? Would the story in a completely hypothetical borderline fanfic way change?

9) Highly analytical posts from usually a poster who has >2000 posts. Usually quite awesome in it's detail and thoughtfulness

11) R+L=/=J. often based on a vision from god directly to the OP, and/or OP has a subscription to John Deere Tractors Weekly

11) R+L=/=J. often based on a vision from god directly to the OP, and/or OP has a subscription to John Deere Tractors Weekly

Of course - how could I forget?

12. The organizer of Animal project show signs of strange form of bestiality... (one of my friends made joke about this)

You wish you could skinchange, don't you?

You wish you could skinchange, don't you?

Thing is, as some of my friends suggested, that since I am totally unsocial, I find substitute in different species so I could have company... :)

So, what do these threads say about the thread starter/poster?

I'm here to answer this question.

They like dragons. And probably sports stadiums where they get to hold up the number 1 foam finger.

The moral police. But really closeted evil person. They like Qyburn because they want to be a mad scientist just like him.

3) Lets compare character (A) with character ( B): which one would win in a contest involving (X)?

These are usually the same people as those described in #1

4) Here is my completely crackpot theory (probably has been already theorized in a prior post by someone else)

Those who enjoy being fashionably late. They show up two hours late to their own surprise party, which they asked for.

Artsy folks. Cutting and pasting requires a creative mind.

Related to #1. They like dragons. They probably want to be a dragon. In fact, they are very likely to be attending cosplay parties on weekends. Or doing cosplay in the evenings after work. Or for work, depending.

These think of themselves as unique little snowflakes. They want to come up with something so different and profound and AAR/PTWP is a good starting point.

These are just bored. Can you blame them? Good fanfiction is hard to come by. Plus, the author of this series makes us wait long time. It's sad.

9) Highly analytical posts from usually a poster who has >2000 posts. Usually quite awesome in it's detail and thoughtfulness

Usually something like a Valkyrie.

Closely related to #8 folks. They just wanna have a good Sunday afternoon chit-chat.

Angels sent from heaven. Obviously.

Starks: love them. Even (maybe especially) sansa.

Lannisters: hate them, except tyrion. Weird reverence for tywin.

Targs. Mixed bag. You have your viserys and brightflames, but you also have bittersteel and baelor breakspear. I like bloodraven too, though he's not REALLY a targ. Big dany fanboy, though she's definitely flawed.

Demographics: white male American 26yo.

Now we come to time where we have to make this a bit more serious. I would like if each member would take certain House or character and write some short input about dempgraphics of its fans. Furthermore, we would also deal with certain threads and analysis., but for that, make sure you have OP's permission. So, who is up to this. Nothing too long, but in lighthearted way to show the demographics of each group...

Archived