Analyzing the analyses: Categorical investigation of demographics

Mladen

Sometimes I wish GRRM didnt let us start off with basically just the Starks. As for the lannisters. I am half-inclined to go on a hate rant, but I do have to say that I love jaime and to some extent, tyrion as characters. Also, cersei chapters are hilarious- so I like her too.

In the show Puddles makes a b-line straight for Gilly and the baby and thus we can be absolutely sure that his sole intention that evening was to kill and or maim that innocent child and possibly even Gilly, paragon of virtue that she is. I don't know how it works in Amurica from but in the UK stealing a child is not how you make friends.

Actually, the show replaced Puddles with an Other called Shatters a.k.a Shards. Puddles never stole no baby.

I'm now curious about the characteristics of those who use the show to discuss the books. If I had to make a rough analysis, I'd say these type of folks are crotchety perfectionists.

As for all of the brouhaha about Puddles, he has, in no less than two posts, been referred to as a baby killer and a terrorist. Are we sure we aren't talking about Tywin Lannister?

Maybe Puddles is Tywin Lannister's nom de plume.

Actually, the show replaced Puddles with an Other called Shatters a.k.a Shards. Puddles never stole no baby.

I'm now curious about the characteristics of those who use the show to discuss the books. If I had to make a rough analysis, I'd say these type of folks are crotchety perfectionists.

Puddles Shards tomaato tomato

ETA - what does it mean to be a crotchety perfectionist?

I feel like if Jaime Lannister has committed an act as evil as puddles/shards then you would be less inclined to view it as an attempt to make friends

Roose fans have impeccable taste, sort of like Hannibal Lecter. They probably wear black, speak with perfect diction, enjoy German Expressionist films, and tend to laugh at funerals.

lol, eh, I based it on me, minus the wearing all black.

You must have really enjoy the bit about the Frey Pies! Probably had your own version of the song playing in your head while reading?

Cersei Fans-Consists of either militant feminists or trolls who like to trample on a good thread,The Feminists like going after Bob(Deservedly),but they seem to ignore the flaws in Cersei.

Bob Fans-Frat boys and would be jocks,who like to boast about their awesome friend,who used to drink a lot and had sex a lot and died.

Edit:

This thread will probably help to complement our analysis.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/92006-favorite-character-categories/page__st__80#entry4679995

Cersei Fans-Consists of either militant feminists or trolls who like to trample on a good thread,The Feminists like going after Bob(Deservedly),but they seem to ignore the flaws in Cersei.

Bob Fans-Frat boys and would be jocks,who like to boast about their awesome friend,who used to drink a lot and had sex a lot and died.

Edit:

http://asoiaf.wester...80#entry4679995

I'm a Cersei fan. I don't defend her actions, but I enjoy her as a character and sometimes root for her. But I like Bob too.

You must have really enjoy the bit about the Frey Pies! Probably had your own version of the song playing in your head while reading?

lol, that was part of the joke. I don't happen to enjoy the taste of chianti or human flesh.

In all fairness I think you are mistaken. You can't consider yourself a 'feminist' unless you think Cersei is a very mean, not particularly bright woman who has been given too much power -- this is a precondition. If not, one doesn't understand the problem. Robert's infractions are a completely separate issue.

I'm a Cersei fan. I don't defend her actions, but I enjoy her as a character and sometimes root for her. But I like Bob too.

In all fairness I think you are mistaken. You can't consider yourself a 'feminist' unless you think Cersei is a very mean, not particularly bright woman who has been given too much power -- this is a precondition. If not, one doesn't understand the problem. Robert's infractions are a completely separate issue.

Yes...But there are those I have seen who claim to be feminists and defend all of Cersei's actions as a female character trying to "Empower" herself and anyone who thinks otherwise is a misogynist,that is why I specifically said "Militant Feminists".

Yes...But there are those I have seen who claim to be feminists and defend all of Cersei's actions as a female character trying to "Empower" herself and anyone who thinks otherwise is a misogynist,that is why I specifically said "Militant Feminists".

These people definitely exist and it is definitely impossible (especially for a male) to tell them that this prohibits them from being a feminist - believe me I have tried.

Edit:

http://asoiaf.wester...80#entry4679995

I'm neither a feminist nor a troll but I'm a shameless Cersei fan. She's my 3rd favorite character.

House Clegane:

Built on blood, burns, and bones. As an offshoot of the Lannister monopoly, these guys don't get much in the way of love. I see a fair amount of hate for the actions of Gregor Clegane and the battle prowess of both brothers but if there is an actual analytical thread dedicated to the kennelmasters of old I've yet to see it. Most of what I see is pseudo-love for Sandor as a potential interest for Sansa, but the majority of that is hardcore Sansa fans who want her to love and be loved by taming the beast. The fandom is either drawing hearts around the SanSan ship, appreciative of both brothers' warrior status, fascinated by the potential of FrankenGregor, or the lukewarm tap water response of "meh." I think the sector of the ASoIaF readers that feel true appreciation for these guys are the people who have a soft spot for the self-made families. Much in the vein of being the first person in a family to attend college and often being accused of not being able to remember that you came from nothing. House Clegane wasn't even an actual house three generations ago and now Cerberus (in the form of Sandor) guards the keep and its secrets from the outside world. Dogs are faithful until the light fades from their eyes...even the mad ones.

Please forgive my ramblings but I'm definitely a Clegane woman :)

lol, that was part of the joke. I don't happen to enjoy the taste of chianti or human flesh.

And exactly how do you know what human flesh tastes like?

Speaking of show fans, any Talisa or Roz fans out there? :leaving:

Stark Fans - My sons and daughters. Long may they cleave and parry the contrarian arguments of the Lannister loving rebels!! The family is often derided as too good, so as to be boring, but Superman is often mistakenly labeled likewise, and it's as untrue for the Starks as it is for the boyscout. If you don't like/love the Starks, you probably hate the sound of childrens laughter...(unless that child is by an open window).

Lannister fans - I've seen people like this in real life. They're normally featured on programs like "the first 48, Cops and True Crime Stories". Not good people, but they make us nobles shine even more just by contrast. I pity them their predilection towards crime and hope they savor their punishments, but aside from that, i merely hope they don't stand to close to me in the bookstore. If you like the Lannisters i've already called the police.

Baratheon fans - Boisterous and driven. Few of my friends would fall into such a clutch of ambition and persistence. They're hard to be around, but you miss the atmosphere of "had to be there" when you're absent. I hold it against no one should they be drawn in.

Tyrell fans - You smell of top soil and Curve body spray. The story doesn't really present them as good or bad, but merely effective. I like them, but merely wish they had better taste.

Greyjoy fans - They're like the guy who comes straight from the swim meat to the wedding, stinking of chlorine and body odor. Nobody wants them there, but they insist on showing up anyways.

They don't have fans, merely victims of lowered expectations.

Jon Fans:

Are usually very articulate people who understand their place (or learned to eventually). Rational thinkers who tend to take a third option or remain rather ambivalent to others. But they have their own rather strong will and are not easily swayed. At all. When presented a problem, they weigh their options and usually find the answer in an unorthodox way. Tend to enjoy deadpan humor, Dominos pizza, a good dead baby joke, and a lot of morose music.

Dany Fans:

Social Justice is the song of their people. They will sing it very loudly and if you dont hear it, the gods have mercy. If presented with an anti-Dany opinion, accusations of being morally bankrupt may arise. Tend to enjoy Pretty Little Liars, enjoy a day of shopping, and listen to female fronted bands.

Manderly Fans:

Very in tune with the injustices of the world, but act quietly. They are people who judge based solely on a person's/character's actions. Have a high affinity with onions and the color blue.

Davos Fans:

They are not devoid of humor, despite maybe seeming like it at first. They enjoy a good snark and are prone to a bottle of Corona with lime on a hot day. They find pleasure in the simple things in life, and understand the meaning of "living within their means." They have a very strong moral code and will not back down from that, even when presented with "proof". Enjoys the sea, watching the news, and Neil Young.

Jon Fans:

Are usually very articulate people who understand their place (or learned to eventually). Rational thinkers who tend to take a third option or remain rather ambivalent to others. But they have their own rather strong will and are not easily swayed. At all. When presented a problem, they weigh their options and usually find the answer in an unorthodox way. Tend to enjoy deadpan humor, Dominos pizza, a good dead baby joke, and a lot of morose music.

Dany Fans:

Social Justice is the song of their people. They will sing it very loudly and if you dont hear it, the gods have mercy. If presented with an anti-Dany opinion, accusations of being morally bankrupt may arise. Tend to enjoy Pretty Little Liars, enjoy a day of shopping, and listen to female fronted bands.

:agree:

Bran Fans:

A empathetic bunch who love the unknown. They are full of dreams and at times, very mythical ideas. They usually do sorta just hang out and enjoy the ride and sometimes dont mind getting up to funny business when they need amusement. They do appreciate small things as well and even a bug crawling on the ground can be rather interesting to them. They also like scary stories, british comedy, and trance music. Tend to be spiritual.

Bran Fans:

A empathetic bunch who love the unknown. They are full of dreams and at times, very mythical ideas. They usually do sorta just hang out and enjoy the ride and sometimes dont mind getting up to funny business when they need amusement. They do appreciate small things as well and even a bug crawling on the ground can be rather interesting to them. They also like scary stories, british comedy, and trance music. Tend to be spiritual.

Nailed it,apart from the Trance Music bit.

Archived