Let's Have Fun in San Antonio - What to Do?

3. San Antonio Missions National Historical Park - There are 6 missions established by the Spanish in the 1700s, and they offer a fascinating glimpse into the confluence of Spanish and Native cultures at the time. It offers an opportunity to explore old courtyards and serene churchyards. There is a 12 mile Mission walk (19 km). Mission San Jose is one of the leading ones to see.

6. La Villita Historical District - Historic district of boutiques, craft shops, galleries and restaurants, located above the south bank of the River Walk. There is a historic walking tour, with maps available throughout the district.

I've been to most every tourist trap/historical site in the metro and outer cities since I've been visiting the area almost every year since I was 9yo. I HIGHLY recommend the missions if you have the time and a car. Beautiful history! La Villita is within very close walking distance of the river walk, I think we just took the amphitheater stairs if I remember right. Creative local artisan works!

Also if you have a car and want to see a piece of Texas honky-tonk history and dine at a lovely outdoor restaurant overlooking the Guadalupe river, I recommend a trip out to Gruene. Have a beer at Gruene Hall http://www.gruenehall.com/ the oldest dance hall in Texas and grab a bite at Grist Mill http://gristmillrestaurant.com/. I always try to do both when I come to town. If you're lucky you might be able to catch some live music at Gruene Hall. There's also a good winery in Gruene and a few neat antique shops.

This story was in one of the Toronto papers the other day: Buckle up for the Latin American revolution.

It’s not the most settling thing I’ve ever seen in a restaurant: the chef is pacing the dining floor with his arms crossed and head down. But then again, Geronimo Lopez is not your typical chef and Nao: New World Flavors is not your typical restaurant. It’s the mouth of the Culinary Institute of America’s San Antonio campus, staffed by students on three-week rotations. For Lopez, their Venezuelan instructor and Nao’s executive chef, that means an “opening night” every 21 days, tonight included.

There’s another reason why I suspect Lopez is pacing. As one of America’s few pan-Latin fine dining experiences, Nao – housed behind a wood door massive enough to fortify the Alamo – is on the front lines of schooling diners like me in the next chapter of American cuisine, daring people in the Tex Mex capital to taste unfamiliar and sometimes unpronounceable Latin American flavours that haven’t yet been popularized. Think scallops with smoky panca peppers, coconut-marinated ceviche served with plantain chips, or mushrooms and malanga root broth over pork belly. Those flavours are on their way, and they’re coming fast. The National Restaurant Association named Peruvian food one of 2013’s top 10 trends and already a crop of much-hyped modern restaurants with Latin American influences have sprung up on this side of the U.S. border. That’s precisely why, in 2008, the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) dug its spurs in here instead of, say, Las Vegas: San Antonio is home to a million Hispanics. If a Keller or an Escoffier is going to emerge for Latin cuisine, he or she will likely pass through this campus. San Antonio, Tex., may just be ground zero for the Latin American food revolution.

I would like to find out how to get a reservation there.

Aha, here: http://www.ciarestaurants.com/nao-and-cia-bakery-cafe-named-must-try-eats/

I hear there's possibly going to be an outing to Chunky's http://www.mychunkysburgers.com/ for the 4 horseman challenge. Might I also suggest going to Lulu's http://www.luluscafeinsa.com/ for their 3lb cinnamon roll. It's 1.4 miles (6 minute drive) from the RiverCenter Marriott.

Being a longtime New Mexico resident, George R.R. Martin loves hot, spicey peppers--he has among his many, many books a large tome covering, in detail, all the worlds peppers. So I wonder: would GRRM be up for The Four Horsemen Challenge sometime during LoneStarCon?

I've known George for more than 40 years--we're old friends (I just again visited him and Parris in Santa Fe for the re-opening of Santa Fe's Jean Cocteau Cinema, which they now own), so I volunteer to call Georgre and propose this as a BWB-supported event. The Brotherhood, perhaps with Daenerys Stormborn's assistance (Hi, Kristina!), could rally at Chunky Burgers to urge and cheer him on to add his photo to their wall of heroic survivors.

Give me the word and I'll make the call to George and see what he says to this proposal.

Being a longtime New Mexico resident, George R.R. Martin loves hot, spicey peppers--he has among his many, many books a large tome covering, in detail, all the worlds peppers. So I wonder: would GRRM be up for The Four Horsemen Challenge sometime during

Ha! Must be to offset four years of all that bland cafeteria food at Marist High School. This will be a fun event if the scheduling works.

Being a longtime New Mexico resident, George R.R. Martin loves hot, spicey peppers--he has among his many, many books a large tome covering, in detail, all the worlds peppers. So I wonder: would GRRM be up for The Four Horsemen Challenge sometime during LoneStarCon?

I've known George for more than 40 years--we're old friends (I just again visited him and Parris in Santa Fe for the re-opening of Santa Fe's Jean Cocteau Cinema, which they now own), so I volunteer to call Georgre and propose this as a BWB-supported event. The Brotherhood, perhaps with Daenerys Stormborn's assistance (Hi, Kristina!), could rally at Chunky Burgers to urge and cheer him on to add his photo to their wall of heroic survivors.

Give me the word and I'll make the call to George and see what he says to this proposal.

I think it to be a very bad idea to encourage someone in there 60's to try and poison themselves with a gutbomb of toxic peppers. Try it out with the 20 somethings who still have plenty of stomach lining to burn bore a hole through.

I don't know about all that. We have a ghost pepper plant here at home, and I don't think anyone should be challenged to do that unless they volunteer. Plus, I'm not here to organize anything, just making suggestions from my many visits to the San Antonio area.

1) George is well aware of Chunky's and of the Four Horsemen Challenge, because we were talking about it at Boskone this year. He made it clear that he was not interested in participating in any such hijinks. I am pretty sure the words "fuck" and "no" came up more than once during that conversation. :lol:

2) A cadre of BWB (and some brave associated souls) will be going to Chunky's at some point during the week. Depending on how much Picacio wishes to join (it was his idea in the first place, way back when San Antonio first won the WC bid), we might not go until Sunday or Monday, since John's out of town until Saturday afternoon.

Archived