Will ICE be returned to the Starks?

MidnightAurora

I know Ser Payne has Ned's Greatsword ICE and curious if the sword will be returned to the Starks one way or another??

I am trying to understand why they would want Ned's Greatsword??

I am thinking Gendry be a smith apprentice might have something to do with ICE in the future books one way or another.

I am also thinking maybe ICE is or will be turned into LB hence Fire and Ice..

Any thoughts or theories on the great sword ICE in future books battles..

I am just trying to start a topic that has not been out there or overly discussed.

There seem to be a few great swords that GRRM goes in great detail about describing and wondering if they have some other purpose in the future etc..

Any thoughts or theories on the great sword ICE in future books battles..

There is a theory that says ICE is Lightbringer. There are those who also believe

it will again be reforged and returned to the Starks.

There seem to be a few great swords that GRRM goes in great detail about describing and wondering if they have some other purpose in the future etc..
Not sure about those great swords but Valyrian blades (great or bastard swords) might serve some purpose in the future. Warning, AFFC/ADWD spoiler:

When talking about ways to combat the Others, Sam mentioned to Jon that the last hero slayed the enemies using a blade of dragonsteel. Jon thought dragonsteel was the same as valyrian steel, but neither of them were sure. Martin was also asked if valyrian steel are effective against the Others but he only said the NW want to know as well.

I was thinking the reason for keeping Gendry alive, aside from maybe being a love interest for Arya later on, was that he is a smith apprentice and thought he would forge or reforge some great sword. I also just re-read the chapter in AGOT where Jon is dreaming his is wielding ICE and saving Ned. He felt guilty about it, but I am wondering if the sword in that dream was ICE or some other sword. Then I am thinking about the sword Ned returned to the Daynes and it is plausible that sword and maybe a combination of the swords/horns will play a key role against the battle of the Others.

The horn that wakes the sleepers in the NW vows got me thinking it could be the stone dragons/ or giants some of supernatural force that helped the first men fight the others the first time around.

I am also thinking of those who have wielded great swords and what type of traits they had in order to wield them until their death.

I hope it's returned as I have a theory that one of the many meanings of "A Song of Ice and Fire" as a title refers to Ice the sword.

When a sword is used in battle it's said to sing. So I'm guessing that the sword Ice will be important in the story

There is also reference to fire and ICE when the Reed children renewed their vows on behalf of their father. I know something happens to ICE and won't spoil it and then that is where I think Gendry will come in. Why else keep him around and have a pretty big part in some things right now of all the bastards if not meant for something greater?

Correction to earlier post: Jon dreamt he was wielding ICE or so he thought as he thought the sword was different somehow and he would save his "father". i just noticed it is never really implied that father was "Ned". I think the horns/swords/dragons/wolves will all come together to fight an epic battle against the Others. The dragons and wolves songs come together to make fire and ice. They have to make something/do because the more people die the more of an army the Others have and especially if my theory proves right and the Wall will come crashing down and no longer protects the realm from the Others.

Archived