Does Roose Bolton Know Nan is Arya Stark?

MidnightAurora

On. pg. 694 in the book (paperback us version)-- Roose Bolton comes to Harrenhal and the first thing he does is he has "Weasel" (Arya) brought to him. He looks at Arya and then asks some curious questions. He never asks her why she did what she did or thanks for the "help". By the questions, I am wondering if he knows it is Arya and if he suspects his actions appear seem to think he has already become a traitor to Robb. He never mentioned this girl to Robb or Catelyn and it could have made a difference don't you think?? Does he know the name of Arya's wolf?

Based on the questions he asked do you think he knows Nan is Arya and has already schemed against Robb or just started?

" How old are you child?"

Arya responds: " Ten."

Are you fond of animals?"

" Some kinds. My lord." (Arya likes animals, but was he trying to get her to say wolves?)

"But not lions it would seem. Nor manticores." (referencing Lannisters and Lorch men)

She gave him her wolf's name and shortened it to Nan. It appears Roose was asking strategic questions, so do you think he knows or suspects she is Arya? If so, why not pass the information along to Robb or Catelyn?

• 1 month later...

Yes, I thought at first he must have known it was her, but Roose seems such a careful tactician I can't imagine he would carelessly have left the real Arya alone in Harrenhall. The map, knife left lying on an unguarded table in a room she had been told to clean, just seems like an invitation for escape though. I have puzzled over this question but I am never satisfied I have got to the bottom of it.

If Roose knew that he had a high value hostage and left her to her own devices, he would be called a bigger fool than Ser Dontos. He knew that there was something peculiar about her, but in no way did he suspect that she was a Stark. He pissed away a goldmine by letting her go.

If Roose knew that he had a high value hostage and left her to her own devices, he would be called a bigger fool than Ser Dontos. He knew that there was something peculiar about her, but in no way did he suspect that she was a Stark. He pissed away a goldmine by letting her go.

Good summary

Keep your friends close, keep your enemies (or their little sisters) closer.

No way Roose knew. He is too clever to waste the opportunity.

Well if he knew it was her and took her hostage, (warning, later book spoiler)

He would have to to let Ramsey marry to real Arya, while it was better for him to marry sweet Jeyne Poel.

Nah , i think he didn't know , he spoke disrespectfully to her when she asked him to take her (i will cut your tongue etc...) and if he knew that he had a Stark of Winderfell on his hands...well...he could have some profits. I'm sure he didn't know by ACOK....

Yes, I thought at first he must have known it was her, but Roose seems such a careful tactician I can't imagine he would carelessly have left the real Arya alone in Harrenhall. The map, knife left lying on an unguarded table in a room she had been told to clean, just seems like an invitation for escape though. I have puzzled over this question but I am never satisfied I have got to the bottom of it.

I would agree why leave her to such things. then like you say he is a careful tactican and why not send men to find her after her escape? It seems like he wanted her to escape or has/had other plans..

• 1 month later...

No, not a chance in hell. Roose is not stupid. Arya would have been extremely valuable to him. If he suspected her for one second he would have kept her much more protected and NEVER have passed her off like he did when he left Harrenhal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I believe Roose asked if Arya liked animals because she was known as Weasel at the time and Bolton's takeover at Harrenhall was based on the lauded weasel soup ruse.

Why Arya didnt identify herself to Roose, a northern commander handpicked by Catelyn and Robb and, at that moment, still loyal to the Starks, is the more interesting question.

• 1 month later...

This has always been one of the bigger inconsistencies in the story IMO. As a bannerman to the Starks, not very loyal but a bannerman nonetheless, he would have been required to make numerous trips to Winterfell to pay homage and to discuss regional and other matters. That means he should have known Arya on sight, considering she was his Lord's daughter and would have made a fine bride for him or his sons.

There is still something very odd about Bolton. Here is about the most interesting theory I've heard:

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/104763-aspects-of-the-gods-the-sun-and-the-moon-and-roose-bolton-is-an-other/

Roose didnt know who Arya was. She came to his attention as an accomplice to the weasel soup incident. What is significant about him questioning her identity is that Arya's intention was to free the northern prisoners (Glover etc), have them take over Harrenhall as they did (the plan previously arranged between Hoat & Bolton), then declare her true identity, name herself, to the Stark bannermen.

Arya didnt, or couldnt name herself because she mocked the red god who granted the 3 named death wishes, Three times Jaqen warns her not to mock the gods. Yet she mocks his red god three ways - 1) by asking for multiple deaths; 2) by naming Jaqen, in effect, having 'borrowed' him from the red god w/o permission; 3) violating the debt 'contract' by forcing Jaqen to make unnamed kill. Note that Jaqen enlists Rorge and Biter, but himself only kills one guard. As punishment for mocking the god, Arya is made mute, unable to name herself to Bolton, Glover or any of the other Stark bannermen.

The significance of Roose questioning Arya about her identity is to demonstrate she had a golden opportunity fulfill her final death wish and name herself. Instead, she can only claim to be Nymeria, an obscure reference to her wolf status as a Stark. Then she 'weasels' away from even that weak insinuation by naming herself 'Nan', the harmless servant at Winterfell. As such, she becomes Roose's own servant until the day he returns from 'hunting wolves' to the raven's message that Robb had reneged on Walder Frey. Elmar Frey's tears about his lost princess indicate plans for the Red Wedding have begun and that Roose just went full turncloak.

Arya does get an 'extra' death from Jaqen by using his coin to distract the gate guard so she can cut his throat. Technically she didnt kill an allied soldier because Roose has just switched sides. But neither she, nor the guard, were aware of that switch at the moment of his death.

At Harrenhall, Arya not only wastes her last wish - the northern prisoners were going to break out without her help - but also denies herself a big chance to regain her identity. By mocking the god she is doomed, both to kill again to escape, and to a continued stream of false names and identities - Horseface, Lumpyhead, boy, Arry, sheep, mouse, Weasel, ghost, Nan....

Squab, Salty, Cat, no one.

Only death may pay for life.

Arya owes the Red God at least three deaths, it seems to me, so once she becomes a Faceless Man, she must repay them. The question is whether the guild will order her to hit specific targets, which I doubt because that is what they normally do, or allow her to name her own targets.

Then her arc for the remainder of the story looks pretty good because she will no doubt aim for high-level names on her list and it will be interesting to see who she kills and how she does it.

The red god's debt of 3 deaths was repaid by Jaqen (Chiswyck, Weese, one jail guard). Because Arya mocked the red god with the jail guard's unnamed death, the red god made Arya unable to name herself to Roose. Using Jaqen's coin to help kill the gate guard means the god of death owes her a life for the unexpected sacrifice of the guard. Ironically, the life repaid to Arya is...

Sandor

the Hound Clegane

Archived