I think Gendry will win the IT.

melanniemunoz

Edric has a better chance than Gendry, not only because he is a great basterd but also because he's the only basterd child that Robert has acknowledged.

Exactly and Edric like his uncle and father, happens to make men love him. Men will love and die for him.

because the poster of that theory (the others take ya) obviously didnt put enough time and detail as our gracious thread starter here did. This has textual facts to back it up unlike that other "theory" if thats what you can call it. This thread alone has made me rethink my entire life, and anything I've ever posted here.

Edric has a better chance than Gendry, not only because he is a great basterd but also because he's the only basterd child that Robert has acknowledged.

He is foreshadowed to die.

My niece Delena was his mother

Florent spoke in the past tense as if Edric had died. That isn't the last time Edric had been spoken of that way.

"I'm a princess too," Shireen announced, "but I never had a sister. I used to have a cousin once, before he sailed away. He was just a bastard, but I liked him.

Edric will die.

Edric will die.

Which means he's bound to marry Shireen, these books don't do obvious and Edric's death couldn't be more obvious.

Now, to make the son conceived in Stannis's wedding bed marry the only daughter he produced as an heir sounds like the kind of move this story would go for.

I really can't see Gendry ever getting close to the throne. I see Gendry growing up similar to Donal Noye but with the added bonus of being a knight. good things don't just happen to Gendry, he has to be a self made man and the path of a blacksmith or a knight could lead to a pretty decent future, much more worthwhile than getting lucky and being handed the throne. if he gets the Iron Throne it will play out as "surprise! you're actually a royal Bastard, we will legitimize you so you can take the throne and eventually become miserable and out of shape like your father."

I'd rather Gendry win glory as a knight or fame as a blacksmith and live a relatively happy life in the Riverlands.

Edric on the other hand needs to become Lord of Storm's End, especially if Stannis and his daughter don't survive the war.

He probably will. There are a lot of threads that need tying off. But he may ascend to the Throne first.

Not likely given he has no backers.

Which means he's bound to marry Shireen, these books don't do obvious and Edric's death couldn't be more obvious.

Now, to make the son conceived in Stannis's wedding bed marry the only daughter he produced as an heir sounds like the kind of move this story would go for.

Obvious? Edric isn't imperiled atm, and there isn't anyone trying to kill him.

I don't think Gendry wins the IT because I think there'll be a Targ on it, but perhaps Lordship of Storms End (I think Stannis is dead). Mya Stone is older, but as oldest male he's probably the one they seat there - maybe with Lady Arya.

Now that would be an irony if Arya ends up the Lady and Sansa ends up in some murky as yet to be determined other role.

Your thesis is sound and supporting evidence proves it. I agree!

LMAO You are on to something. I'm overwhelmed with justification, warrant, evidence, and facts.

Although tv Gendry may have a chance... he was living large on a boat sailing right past KL and then got it on with Mel.

Gendry will start a child rebellion in the Saltpans that will end up sacking KL. He will win the IT by right of conquest.

LMAO You are on to something. I'm overwhelmed with justification, warrant, evidence, and facts.

Although tv Gendry may have a chance... he was living large on a boat sailing right past KL and then got it on with Mel.

Gendry will start a child rebellion in the Saltpans that will end up sacking KL. He will win the IT by right of conquest.

Lol

With the new order and rules emerging, the Others, wars, dragons returning, hidden identities, magic, guest right out the window, and more turned topsy turvy, I am not sure that what looks good on paper for certain characters may necessarily be that important in the end. I don’t think Gendry will sit the Iron Throne either, but he may rise higher, and I think and hope he reconnects with Arya again.

He is a great character to read about on the rare and occasional Gendry threads that pop up from time to time. It is a very 50/50 reaction to him by posters. Some see a lot of potential and have the highest hopes and some see nothing special about him and doubt he could even be a hedge knight or a free rider to say the least.

So I thought about the pros and cons of Gendry, or a few that came to mind anyway.

Concerns

He told Arya he was joining the BWB instead of going on to Riverrun. So is that dumping on their friendship, or is he inspired to make something of himself because he is obviously now aware of class difference and how it separates Arya from him?

I personally don’t like his involvement in the whole red/fire/god thing – Mel, Selyse, and Stannis ruined it for me, but then again, Beric and Thoros make it somewhat palatable, and less Mel annoying.

He is illiegitimate – with a bastard brother whose father was also the King and his mother is a lady. Nobility on both sides, really. It is true that Edric Storm has more polish and clout than he does in the bastardry division.

Nobody knows who he is and it would be hard to prove. Just looking at him will not be enough for everyone.

Can be stubborn and lose his temper.

Birth/class bothers him – but it only surfaced down the road with Arya through that Edric Dayne exchange.

He can be jealous. Again, Arya and Edric Dayne…

He has a reputation for being not that bright. He thinks and takes his time before answering. This I never agreed with, but that is only my opinion. There is dialogue that is analytical on his part or with quick-witted, snappy retorts. He catches on quick, reacts quickly, and there were other things and examples. He does get a bad rap with that. Even Mott tells Ned that he is bright.

Pluses

Ned got to meet him and seemed to like him. That is great. And then Arya becomes buds with him. It is too much.

Jon Arryn got to meet him. And he was like a father to Robert and Ned.

He is/ was buddies with Arya and they hit it off. They have a history and have been through a lot together. And the Starks are on the upswing eventually. Also, he is currently with Uncat, Arya’s mom, and her people the BWB.

He respects and seemed to like everything Arya is about. Warts and all. And that was one of the biggest arcs for Arya in AGOT. She wants to be who she wants to be. She has struggled with Cat, Sansa, and Septa Mordane, to be accepted for who she is. Even Robert, Cersei, and others seem to react to her “wildness.” She even rejects Ned’s forecast of her marrying and having children. Gendry gets her. It was a rare and accidental find for her.

He defends her from Hot Pie and Lommy, well, until they knock it off and join the Wolf Pack.

He thinks she looks pretty, all spruced up, and can appreciate it.

He laughs himself silly knowing it is not who she is, when he sees her with the acorn dress.

He is Robert’s son and is like him, looks like him, wields a hammer to fight, but also to build things constructively as a skill. The hammer is not just used for destruction.

Saves Brienne.

Helps orphans.

Joins the BWB and looks for a purpose in life to serve/help others.

Sort of the demi-god story/young hero cliché (Luke Skywalker, Harry Potter, etc) – But in his case, he doesn’t know his father is a king, regular parent (mother), has adventures, rises, finds out eventually…might continue going in that direction further.

Brienne is going to push to let him know who he is and possibly do something with the knowledge – foggy right now, but it looks like it is going that way. And she is also in the vicinity of the people he is with. Uncat, BWB, etc.

Like Hot Pie, he was a part of the Wolf Pack. Arya’s Wolf Pack.

He befriends a girl that Brienne takes for Arya. Poor replacement for Arya…

He has a lot more life experience, life in general, and with battles and being around skilled and notorious people like Beric, Thoros, the Hound, and others, while Edric has none. I think he has learned a lot being around the BWB and before that with his adventures with Arya. Edric was born and hears and learns of what noble/knights/ or warriors do. True, he has had a better education, training too, Shireen as companion, a maester instructor, and more, etc. Gendry is out there doing it. Better prepared for what’s coming than Edric. Just my opinion though….

Arya has saved his life by helping him escape. He had done things for her too, during their time together. So many instances were brimming in their chapters together. All the good things in life: friendship, understanding, security, companionship, looking out for each other, caring, loyalty, respect, challenging, laughter, hope, etc.

He has potential, but there are concerns/ loose ends too. He is another character like the Hound. They are not major/major like the Starks, Dany, etc. but all that build up would seem like it would go somewhere.

This should be pasted into the original post.

I don't think Gendry wins the IT because I think there'll be a Targ on it, but perhaps Lordship of Storms End (I think Stannis is dead). Mya Stone is older, but as oldest male he's probably the one they seat there - maybe with Lady Arya.

If all the trueborn Baratheons die out, why would the ruler on the Iron Throne want to continue the Baratheon line by legitimising a bastard? The Baratheons have been the royal house once now, which means that as long as it still exists anybody unhappy with Targ rule will have the option of saying that the Baratheons are the rightful rulers and backing them in a new rebellion. Any non-Baratheon Royal House has a vested interest in extinguishing the Baratheon line. If Shireen lives the monarch may compromise by marrying her to someone loyal to them and letting House Baratheon continue, but if the House dies out there is no benefit in reviving it.

If all the trueborn Baratheons die out, why would the ruler on the Iron Throne want to continue the Baratheon line by legitimising a bastard? The Baratheons have been the royal house once now, which means that as long as it still exists anybody unhappy with Targ rule will have the option of saying that the Baratheons are the rightful rulers and backing them in a new rebellion. Any non-Baratheon House has a vested interest in extinguishing the Baratheon line. If Shireen lives the monarch may compromise by marrying her to someone loyal to them and letting House Baratheon continue, but if the House dies out there is no benefit in reviving it.

I agree with this, and it applies to house Tully as well. The only reason it may not apply to the Starks is they seem to have more support in the North than those two.

Whoever wins the Iron Throne, there are going to be wars and Storms End will be a valuable prize for a loyal banner man.

Archived