Question about Ygritte/wildling women

whataboutbob

Midway through ASOS, Ygritte says “A man can own a woman or a man can own a knife,” Ygritte told him, “but no man can own both. Every little girl learns that from her mother.”

I am unsure about how to interpret this. The way I see it it could mean 2 things.

1)that wildling men can only focus their love on either war/fighting or the woman that they own, not both.

2)that wildling men know better than to beat/abuse their women and have a weapon around because the wildling women won't tolerate it and kill them in their sleep (as Ygritte mentions in the paragraph prior)

Which way do you think GRRM meant for this statement to be interpreted?

I remember this line, but trying to remember what was happening at the time. I think it went a little deeper. That he needed to choose her or the Nights Watch, but he can't have both. She realized that he still had a hard time breaking loose of his vows he made to the Nights Watch, not realizing he was still a man of the Nights Watch and never intended on breaking his vows. That is what I think right now, but I need to go back a read the chapter.

Archived