is jon's resurrection the only way?

Igziabeher

I'm of the mind that thinks Jon being resurrected in the same fashion as Beric or LS would be terrible all around. For one, if he is the son of R & L then what does it matter if he's already part dead inside? That totally destroys any meaning to his being the song of Ice and Fire(in my opinion). Can undead people even procreate? Also, I don't see how it would relieve him of his Night's Watch duties. I can't see the NW letting him off the hook on a technicality. I guess if his supreme fate is to die valiantly fighting off the Others then it doesn't matter, but if he has a larger role to play in the grand scheme of things then he surely has to survive the attack without resorting to another resurrection. Maybe warging in the process will help him maintain his former self, but if he comes back as some form of Unjon then that just ruins the character for me and I hope he dies again to save us from a cheapened victory.

If he wargs Ghost and then is somehow returned to his body, his mind will have never truly died and therefore isn't undead in the same way, for example, Cat is.

Although spending too much time in Ghost will have it's own repercussions.

He could just survive the attack. People survive multiple stabbings. As far as we know he may have only been stabbed four times, and he was wearing layers. The cold could have helped cauterize the wounds as well. Maybe have him in a week long coma to help accelerate the warging abilities, and then heal up.

God I hope he isn't given the kiss of life by the red witch, besides i thought that she's was unable to perform that particular trick anyway. I'm of the opinion that the whole zombie resurrection thing has been done to death in the books, having unJon would be the final straw for me. I have no idea why GRRM felt the need to have Jon attacked at the end of ADWD beyond providing a cliffhanger ending, hopefully he's merely injured, but I'm thinking we'll have to suffer through some lame Ghost/Jon POV chapters....

He could just survive the attack. People survive multiple stabbings. As far as we know he may have only been stabbed four times, and he was wearing layers. The cold could have helped cauterize the wounds as well. Maybe have him in a week long coma to help accelerate the warging abilities, and then heal up.

This. Stabbings aren't very dangerous in the short run. Infection is the biggest risk.

Furthermore, for memory:

1. Bran - Game

Ser Jaime throws him of a tower. Dead by impact.

2. Arya - Game

Yoren goes for her face with a blade, she fights him unsuccessfully. A cut throat, dead. Her last chapter in the book.

3. Bran - Clash

Theon knows where Bran and company are hiding. He will show no mercy. 200 pages before Bran is confirmed alive.

4. Jaime - Clash

Insults Cat repeatedly. Cat demands a sword. Last chapter in the book.

5. Davos - Clash

Drifts into the burning chain. Last chapter in the book.

6. Theon - Clash

Is on the losing end of the Battle of Winterfell turning into wholesale slaughter. Won't be seen for two books.

7. Jaime - Storm

Vargo Hoat sends a message to Lord Tywin. An arakh descends.

8. Cat - Storm

Red Wedding.. Well, she actually dies. Not the end of her story though.

9. Arya - Storm

The Hound's axe took her in the back of the head.

10. Davos - Storm

Stannis is ready to take his head off.

10a. Arya - Feast

Not dead, but blinded. Last chapter in the book.

11. Brienne - Feast

Hanged. Last chapter in the book.

12. Tyrion - Dance

Drowns in the Rhoyne.

13. Davos - Dance

Lord Manderly orders him executed. Was backed up in Feast.

14. Asha - Dance

Finishing blow with an axe.

15. Theon - Dance

Rowan promised to kill him after visiting "Abel".

16. Theon - Dance

Jumps down a 40-foot wall.

17. Jon - Dance

Gets caesared. Last chapter of the book.

So, 17 cases of a PoV character dying at the end of their chapter. Five of them at the end of the book. All presently alive and back in action, except Jon.

Looks like a pattern, doesn't it?

that's where the ice cells and storage cellars come into play (why else have a chapter there ?)

I think he wargs into Ghost to stay alive, but I think Bloodraven and Bran will help resurrect him. In the Theon TWOW sample chapter

there are ravens going "tree" and "Theon" after Asha suggests to Stannis that he should kill Theon in front of some Weirwoods. So I think that Bloodraven and Bran need a blood sacrifice to resurrect Jon. But before Theon is beheaded he remembers what Luwin said and he requests to join the NW. He is then allowed to. But later on in the Battle in Ice, Asha is cornered against a Weirwood and killed. The blood on the Weirwood, and mixing with the sap, will help Bloodraven and Bran resurrect Jon.

All credit goes to Fire Eater, whose theory this is.

I am not a big fan of the resurrection, but Beric was brought back multiple times and it didn't take it's toll until later. Cat was dead and rotting for 3 days before being brought back so that is apples to oranges. But I am of the opinion that Jon isn't dead and will be in a sort of coma state, and will have a bit of an awakening, a la Bran.

that's where the ice cells and storage cellars come into play (why else have a chapter there ?)

What put him in cryogenic storage, like Walt Disney? And I was thinking that this particular plot line couldn't get any lamer...it would be better that Jon just dies then. It would 1) demonstrate yet again GRRM's perchance for killing of loved characters 2) prompt a bloody fight amongst the wildings/black brothers/Queens men etc which would break apart the Nights Watch leading to the destruction of the wall 3) allow the much heralded invasion of Westeros by the Others. The more I think about it the more i like the idea.

This. Jon will discover just how strong his warging abilities are whilst in a coma, then will be brought round by some warmth or with the help of a Maester (Can't remember if there is one currently at the Wall though) or someone else. It will reflect Bran's first 'encounter' with the three-eyed crow during his coma after his fall. Perhaps Jon will also wake up with a disability, losing a limb or just getting severe frostbite burns that make him in pain for life?

I really really hope Mel doesn't get involved, even though she did see Jon's head turn into Ghost turn back to Jon again in her flames.

And there's Dany's vision of a blue rose blooming at a chink in a great ice wall.

So, random theory I thought of as I was writing this: Jon finds out about his parentage (assuming R+L = J) while warging Ghost (perhaps Ghost with Jon's wits escapes his confinement and wanders beyond the Wall where he encounters Benjen?) and wakes up in a Castle Black full of chaos knowing who he is and what he has to do = blue rose blooming at the Wall.

Hell, Jon only got stabbed multiple times. Tyrion lost half his face, and survived. Davos nearly drowned. I think that, just based on other character's luck escapes, Jon has a good chance of surviving this attack,.

A coma state seems likely to me, but that doesnt even need to be the case. Remember in CoK when Tyrion was in his coma-state? He knew who he was, but had dreams where he was in other places. I see the same thing happening to Jon, except his dreams are him warging into Ghost.

If Jon is resurrected while also being warged into ghost, it's another text book example of both ice and fire in Jon's story arc, which seems to surround him. The magic of both ice and fire come together to perform a true resurrection.

I hope he survives. I don't know how it would happen, but I'd prefer seeing him survive the attack rather than see one of my favorite characters become an undead person.

And he actually could survive, you know. As far as we know, he's been stabbed four times - people have gone through a lot worse and survived.

What put him in cryogenic storage, like Walt Disney? And I was thinking that this particular plot line couldn't get any lamer...it would be better that Jon just dies then. It would 1) demonstrate yet again GRRM's perchance for killing of loved characters 2) prompt a bloody fight amongst the wildings/black brothers/Queens men etc which would break apart the Nights Watch leading to the destruction of the wall 3) allow the much heralded invasion of Westeros by the Others. The more I think about it the more i like the idea.

you sure like your others :stunned:

This. Stabbings aren't very dangerous in the short run. Infection is the biggest risk.

Furthermore, for memory:

1. Bran - Game

Ser Jaime throws him of a tower. Dead by impact.

2. Arya - Game

Yoren goes for her face with a blade, she fights him unsuccessfully. A cut throat, dead. Her last chapter in the book.

3. Bran - Clash

Theon knows where Bran and company are hiding. He will show no mercy. 200 pages before Bran is confirmed alive.

4. Jaime - Clash

Insults Cat repeatedly. Cat demands a sword. Last chapter in the book.

5. Davos - Clash

Drifts into the burning chain. Last chapter in the book.

6. Theon - Clash

Is on the losing end of the Battle of Winterfell turning into wholesale slaughter. Won't be seen for two books.

7. Jaime - Storm

Vargo Hoat sends a message to Lord Tywin. An arakh descends.

8. Cat - Storm

Red Wedding.. Well, she actually dies. Not the end of her story though.

9. Arya - Storm

The Hound's axe took her in the back of the head.

10. Davos - Storm

Stannis is ready to take his head off.

10a. Arya - Feast

Not dead, but blinded. Last chapter in the book.

11. Brienne - Feast

Hanged. Last chapter in the book.

12. Tyrion - Dance

Drowns in the Rhoyne.

13. Davos - Dance

Lord Manderly orders him executed. Was backed up in Feast.

14. Asha - Dance

Finishing blow with an axe.

15. Theon - Dance

Rowan promised to kill him after visiting "Abel".

16. Theon - Dance

Jumps down a 40-foot wall.

17. Jon - Dance

Gets caesared. Last chapter of the book.

So, 17 cases of a PoV character dying at the end of their chapter. Five of them at the end of the book. All presently alive and back in action, except Jon.

Looks like a pattern, doesn't it?

Any streak one day will break.

Jon has to stay dead because

- thanks to the prologue we know he will live on in Ghost (and Ghost is much cooler than Jon).

- Melisandre saw him in her visions from man to wolf to man. And we know how her visions turn out.

- After all this near death cliffhangers someone needs to stay dead.

- Jon rhymes with gone

- that Melisandre POV was introduced on purpose. We need eyes at the wall when Jon is gone.

- the lone wolf dies. Bran has the CotF pack. Arya the Faceless Men pack. Rickon the Skagos pack (?), at least Osha, Sansa the Littlefinger pack and Jon?

- everytime a male Stark beheads someone, the male Stark dies.

- Ygritte is dead as well.

Archived