[No Spoilers] Windhaven

7V3N

Just picked it up the other day and I absolutely love it. The story is interesting and picks up quick, and I just love the idea. The quote at the start from Da Vinci is great and fitting for what I have read so far. For those who have read it, did you like it? Please, no spoilers.

• 2 months later...

Yep, great book. If I had to catogorize it, it would be that subsection of science fiction called planetary romance. Not especially concerned with "romance" (though that may be an element), but with the cultural and political situation on the planet in question. Characters find their identity in the things they do and roles in society they fill.

Comparable novels in the planetary romance category would be Anna MacCaffrey's Pern series; Brian Aldiss's Heliconia series; Le Guin's Hainish Cycle; Silverberg's Majipoor; Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover novels, and getting really pulpy but you can also include the "Sword & Planet" type books like of course the Barsoom novels of Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Does anybody know of any more recent?

• 2 weeks later...

Just picked it up the other day and I absolutely love it. The story is interesting and picks up quick, and I just love the idea. The quote at the start from Da Vinci is great and fitting for what I have read so far. For those who have read it, did you like it? Please, no spoilers.

So I'm curious, did you end up enjoying this book? I found it to be quite terrific, very character-driven. The world building was excellent in my opinion... everything unfolded slowly, but without overwhelming you with information. It felt so believable. I also liked the little things that GRRM incorporated into ASOIAF... the Iron Islands, The Eyrie, "Kite's" Landing. The only character in the entire book I really didn't like was Evan.

I believe Martha Wells has a recent series also with winged people, if that was part of the draw for you.

Find it on Amazon.

Thank you, I will check the summary and see if it's up my alley :)

So I'm curious, did you end up enjoying this book? I found it to be quite terrific, very character-driven. The world building was excellent in my opinion... everything unfolded slowly, but without overwhelming you with information. It felt so believable. I also liked the little things that GRRM incorporated into ASOIAF... the Iron Islands, The Eyrie, "Kite's" Landing. The only character in the entire book I really didn't like was Evan.

Thank you, I will check the summary and see if it's up my alley :)

I enjoyed it overall. In the end, I was left wanting a bit more. I felt like I always was given enough to just make me want more--characters were interesting but weren't elaborated on very much, the world had a fascinating history but we get little of it, etc. The writing was strong and the characters were too, but I just felt like this book could have been better as an expanded trilogy. All in all, a good read. Would I read it again? Probably not because there really isn't much depth to it. I feel like I still know everything there is to know in it.

ETA: My favorite character by far was Barrion then Coll (basically the same guy in the end).

I'd never heard of this, but I am now interested. This is definitely on my radar now.

But, surely I am not the only person to think of this girl when seeing the name of GRRM's co-author.

Ha, Lisa Tuttle. No, you aren't the only one :-)

Windhaven's a very enjoyable read. The story flows very nicely and the world feels very unique and real. Ah, it was a breath of fresh air for me, I felt so clean when I read it, as strange as that sounds. If you ever pick it up, perhaps you'll know what I mean. Or you won't. Either way, give it a go!

I know the "clean" feeling you speak of. It's the same that we get with the much-more-detailed ASOIAF. Everything seems and feels to fluid and real, like you are reading about history, not fantasy.

Archived