Possibilities in Bran chapters in TWOW

There are very few weirwood trees in the south though.

So it's likely they're not married the Northern way unless Lyanna was okay to say her vows in front of a different tree ("IF" she and Rhaegar got married at all).

How could they get married in front of a weirwood in the South when GRRM makes it known that the Andals burned almost all of the weirwoods south of the neck, with the exception at the one in Raventree Hall, due to the fact that the Blackwoods still keep the old gods.

That's why I said "IF." I was replying to a post about Bran seeing a private wedding between Rhaegar and Lyanna, but so far Bran could only see things from the past through the eyes of the weirwood trees.

So it's likely they're not married the Northern way unless Lyanna was okay to say her vows in front of a different tree ("IF" she and Rhaegar got married at all).

That's why I said "IF." I was replying to a post about Bran seeing a private wedding between Rhaegar and Lyanna, but so far Bran could only see things from the past through the eyes of the weirwood trees.

It's been said before but I'll reiterate as it seems to have been ignored - The God's Eye is filled with Weirwoods and is what? A mile from Harrenhal?

A very private wedding between Lyanna and Rhaegar?

Yes, I think Bran will be a guest at this event and many others. He'll also be in contact with other characters as he has been with Theon. I expect that all the remaining Stark children will be in communication with Bran and know that the pack survives. I expect that this will cause a change in more than one story arc...

How could they get married in front of a weirwood in the South when GRRM makes it known that the Andals burned almost all of the weirwoods south of the neck, with the exception at the one in Raventree Hall, due to the fact that the Blackwoods still keep the old gods.

Most, but not all wierwoods were cut down/destroyed. More than just the one at Ravenhall survived below the Neck.

After word of Ned's death reaches Riverrun, Catelyn finds Robb and other Northmen in the godswood:

She found Robb beneath the green canopy of leaves, surrounded by tall redwoods and great old elms, kneeling before the heart tree, a slender weirwood with a face more sad than fierce. His longsword was before him, the point thrust in the earth, his gloved hands clasped around the hilt.

According to Ayra's chapters there is a Heart Tree in Harrenhal:

The heel of her right foot was bloody where she'd skinned it, so she stood one-legged before the heart tree and raised her sword in salute. "Valar morghulis," she told the old gods of the north. She liked how the words sounded when she said them.

And above the cave where she meets Baric:

In one place on the far side of the fire, the roots formed a kind of stairway up to a hollow in the earth where a man sat almost lost in the tangle of weirwood.

Brienne makes note of weirwoods in the South. I think Jamie does as well. Most places have never been described.

Yes, the Andals went to war against the weirwoods, but they did not get them all.

There seems to be quite a few left and there are many and more place that have never been written about in any detail. And faces have been carved onto other trees when weirwoods were no longer around. One of these could have served as well. For all we know there could be a surviving weirwood in the abandon godswood at Summerhall.

And Bloodraven tells Bran that he will learn to see past the heart trees:

Nor will your sight be limited to your godswood. The singers carved eyes into their heart trees to awaken them, and those are the first eyes a new greenseer learns to use … but in time you will see well beyond the trees themselves.”

Bran's abilities are not limited by a weirwood tree, a heart tree, a godswood or a carved face. If R & L were married before the Old Gods, then Bran has an invitation to the wedding (and many, many other events).

And as we know from Ned in AGOT, the power of the old gods are not limited to weirwoods:

The heart tree was an oak, brown and faceless, yet Ned Stark still felt the presence of his gods.

I don't think that Bran really needs to see through a weirwood (imo, it seems that he uses Weirwood to see the past but do something like "astral projection"). Starting from this, I guess he would see what is going on in Essos (believing that he was taught in High Valirian as Arya and other highborn children). I don't know why but looks like Bran is going to be the "game master" of the game of thrones.

The possibilities that can be seen through Bran's POV are limitless. He's just figured out how to use the trees as a vessel to look back through time. What about when he starts to warg the ravens that reside in those trees? This kind of leads me to believe that while Bran is the 1st POV we get, the prologue aside, his chapters are going to stay at the same amount they have since Storm. He's had a small amount of POV's in both books, and now that he is the second most powerful person in Westeros, behind Bloodraven himself, he's privy to way to much information. He may end up like LF, Varys, and Howland Reed are now, who will never be a POV character for the reason that they know too much. I think that Bran will gradually go away as a POV and we'll see him through the other POV's, like Theon's in ADWD. Unless he has to leave the cave, which then again I wouldn't put it past him to perma-warg Hodor so that he can be both a badass warrior and a greenseer.

There are Weirwoods in the south but very few predate the Andel invasion. Mostly just burn out stumps are all that remains. The few old ones we see are in Oldtown and the one that Dick Crabb was buried under. Raventree Weirwood is dead hence why i assume it wasnt burnt down.

The possibilities that can be seen through Bran's POV are limitless. He's just figured out how to use the trees as a vessel to look back through time. What about when he starts to warg the ravens that reside in those trees? This kind of leads me to believe that while Bran is the 1st POV we get, the prologue aside, his chapters are going to stay at the same amount they have since Storm. He's had a small amount of POV's in both books, and now that he is the second most powerful person in Westeros, behind Bloodraven himself, he's privy to way to much information. He may end up like LF, Varys, and Howland Reed are now, who will never be a POV character for the reason that they know too much. I think that Bran will gradually go away as a POV and we'll see him through the other POV's, like Theon's in ADWD. Unless he has to leave the cave, which then again I wouldn't put it past him to perma-warg Hodor so that he can be both a badass warrior and a greenseer.

I don't think that Howland Reed know too much. The guy lives in a swamp. But I agree with you: Bran, Varys and Littlefinger know too much to have POVs or too much POVs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bran will know a lot, but his capabilities for action seem limited. We have to see how much he can do with the ravens and other creatures of the north - can he use them to kill certain people? Can he learn to speak in complete sentences using the ravens? Or the whispering of tree leaves? Possible plot points here, to have characters influenced by his words and whispers.

I think the whole Lyanna and Rhaegar fiasco will probably be revealed bit by bit through Bran. Like the way he saw all the flash of visions in the godswood in winterfell. It'll be a few flashes in every chapter and it'll probably be for the reader to guess and what's going on and what's happing. I don't think Bran will piece it together or understand any of it, at least he won't at first. Which will leave us guessing whether the truth of jon's parentage will ever be revealed to him?

And this isn't really to do with Bran but i was just wondering about rhaegar and lyanna. People were saying about bran seeing their marraige but how could Rhaegar marry Lyanna if he was already married to Elia? Were the Targaeryans allowed more then one wife or something?

Not sure on Bran not being a POV because he would know too much. It depends if Bran understands what he sees, he is only 10 years old. We maybe given images that Bran will not understand or it will take him a while to piece what he sees together or he'll be given images that will not be in any cronological order. Not sure how GRRM will write Bran's next POV chapters.

And this isn't really to do with Bran but i was just wondering about rhaegar and lyanna. People were saying about bran seeing their marraige but how could Rhaegar marry Lyanna if he was already married to Elia? Were the Targaeryans allowed more then one wife or something?

Aegon the conqueror had 2 wives, both of them his sisters. Hence 3 heads of the dragon

Monogamy was very common among Targaryens.

Do you mean polygamy? They have a strong history of incest to keep their bloodlines pure. Although much like the Royal Families of Europe ended up with illnesses and deleterious genes. Hence the haemophilia and the Targaryen's madness.

Do you mean polygamy? They have a strong history of incest to keep their bloodlines pure. Although much like the Royal Families of Europe ended up with illnesses and deleterious genes. Hence the haemophilia and the Targaryen's madness.

No, monogamy. Incest was very common but there are few known Targaryen monarchs who were polygamous.

Archived