Why is Littlefinger revealing his plans to Sansa?

Blackfish Tully

But by the end of AFFC she is completely dependent on Littlefinger and she knows that he is the one who saved her from Kings Landing and is the one who is protecting her from Cersie. We know as the reader that he was the one who set her up for Joffreys murder but she does not know that. She knows that her future and Littlefingers are tied together at this point and as long as he strings her along she will do his bidding.

she has no other options right now but to go along but she's also picking up skills and info and interacting with other characters (like miranda and soon to be others ) this will give her more info on LF and might possibly make her aware of his role in her father's downfall

she says that she will never be his and understands that he's not to be trusted but she simply gives him what he wants for now "Lies and arbor gold"

when the time comes she won't have a problem with getting rid of him

He may not "need" Sansa's validation, but he does want it--he wants someone to recognize how "smart" he thinks he is. Cersie just may be right--what makes Varys so dangerous is his lack of a cock. LF is getting sloppy around Sansa by revealing too much.

Butterbumps! started a great thread comparing Varys and LF. It's worth a read:

http://asoiaf.wester...20#entry3802533

I've read that thread and I am a big fan of Butterbumps knowledge but I think sometimes to much is read into what Littlefingers says and does , he is a master of misdirection and even tells Sansa that sometimes you make moves just to confuse your enemies and I think that a lot of times what he says and does needs to be taken with a grain of salt. For example in that thread a great deal was made out of Littlefinger throwing a tantrum when Tyrion tricked him with Mycella and the conclusion was that Littlefinger is a big baby who cannot control his emotions when I suspect that it was all an act to keep Tyrion off guard.

she has no other options right now but to go along but she's also picking up skills and info and interacting with other characters (like miranda and soon to be others ) this will give her more info on LF and might possibly make her aware of his role in her father's downfall

she says that she will never be his and understands that he's not to be trusted but she simply gives him what he wants for now "Lies and arbor gold"

when the time comes she won't have a problem with getting rid of him

Especially when she finds out LF was behind Ned's beheading.

he was drinking but we don't know if he was drunk and he may still have been playing her all the same.

In addition to having alcohol on his breath, I believe he was also visibly flushed (don't have my books with me so I can't check this). Also, why do you think LF is "playing" Sansa? He considers her his protege.

Arrogance.

Littlefinger's tragic flaw is his arrogance, I've always maintained that the moment somebody acts impulsively towards him his empire will crumble. The second he makes some snide remark to the wrong guy they'll do something stupid and dispose of him, who'd care enough to retaliate? The mistake everyone makes with Littlefinger is they give him a chance to start talking, one day someone won't.

Littlefinger loves nothing more than bragging and gloating. He thinks he can trust Sansa at this point and has let his guard down. He wants someone to admire how intelligent he is, because he can't reveal this openly to anyone else yet. I actually think this will be his downfall as well, letting something slip to Sansa and then gloating to Tyrion as he's about to kill him, and then Sansa will sneak up behind him and stab him in the back.

I think Littlefinger is telling half truths at best. He is fully manipulating her and telling her what he wants her to BELIEVE. Do not trust this man, same as Varys, unless they are about to kill you then they will tell the truth but it is too late for you. Just like Ned in the the throne room. LF knew Ned would die, that is why he revealed himself to him. There was not risk.

In addition to having alcohol on his breath, I believe he was also visibly flushed (don't have my books with me so I can't check this). Also, why do you think LF is "playing" Sansa? He considers her his protege.

Littlefinger is "playing" everybody it's his nature and his entire existence is built around playing with peoples lives and playing the Game of Thrones. Do you think that Littlefinger after all he's done and the war he started and the amount of people he has killed or is responsible for their deaths he all of the sudden going to care about Sansa even if he considers her his protege. Littlefinger is a sociopath and he will use Sansa until she is no longer valuable and then he will cast her aside so hopefully she will be ready at that time to get away from him or to defeat him.

Littlefinger's mind was pretty clear when he was explaning Harry the Heir's value so if he was drunk he still was able to think clearly.

Arrogance.

Littlefinger's tragic flaw is his arrogance, I've always maintained that the moment somebody acts impulsively towards him his empire will crumble. The second he makes some snide remark to the wrong guy they'll do something stupid and dispose of him, who'd care enough to retaliate? The mistake everyone makes with Littlefinger is they give him a chance to start talking, one day someone won't.

Littlefinger is smart enough to have his sellswords around him constantly and they would care because without Littlefinger who is going to pay the bills? For a sellsword finding an employer who pays well and is a long term employer is pretty valuable so they will fight for Littlefinger because he is probably the best paying employer around now that Tywin Lannister is dead. Lyn Cordray will also care because who will pay him with "boys and gold" with Littlefinger dead.

Littlefinger is smart enough to have his sellswords around him constantly and they would care because without Littlefinger who is going to pay the bills? For a sellsword finding an employer who pays well and is a long term employer is pretty valuable so they will fight for Littlefinger because he is probably the best paying employer around now that Tywin Lannister is dead. Lyn Cordray will also care because who will pay him with "boys and gold" with Littlefinger dead.

Forgive my ignorance I don't remember the part where he has plenty sellswords watching his back. (I'm not being snarky, I'm working on my first reread now so I likely missed it). As for Corbray, he got along fine before Littlefinger, if he went away I doubt Corbray would go out of his way to seek vengeance.

Forgive my ignorance I don't remember the part where he has plenty sellswords watching his back. (I'm not being snarky, I'm working on my first reread now so I likely missed it). As for Corbray, he got along fine before Littlefinger, if he went away I doubt Corbray would go out of his way to seek vengeance.

It's brought up in Feast, he's been hiring sell swords for awhile now. It's why the Mad Mouse is in the Vale. For what purpose, we don't fully know yet.

Cuz LF is totally a sub.

But really, its showing that LF has this blind spot for Sansa and underestimates her. Thinks shes too stupid to understand whats really going on but yammers on because hes an arrogant sod. Hes gonna spill the beans about something that Sansa is gonna go "dude...wat." over and soon.

with gold stolen from the treasury.(how else did he get so rich?)

and other from that having NOTHING to keep people loyal (not to mention should everthing he did be exposed)

true true

i wouldn't be surprised if LF drowns in a sea of betrayal and the sansa is just the final nail in the coffin

How do you know how Lyn Cordray got along before Litttlefinger? People underestimate how important finding somebody who pays well is in Westeroes. If you are a second or third son or a hedge knight or a regular sellsword life is probably pretty tough and finding an employer who pays well is the golden ticket. Without Littlefinger Lyn Cordray will have to go work for his brother or some other Vale Lord or Gulltown merchant who pays much less than Littlefinger and certainly do not supply him with boys. As for Lyn Cordray going out of his way to seek vengeance it seems to me that Lyn Cordray does not need much of an excuse to kill somebody so I would be real careful if i was affecting his livelihood.

Have you ever thought a girl was really, really cute, but you don't think that she's ever noticed you? So you wait and you pine and then you decide to organize the slaughter of almost her entire family, throw her into a pit of snakes, and then "heroically" yank her out of it and force her to live in anonymity and raise your bizarre adopted son after you murdered his birth mother who by the way happens to be her aunt? At some point during all this, LF realizes that two things: A) Sansa was never going to fall in love with him and B] it was far, far too late to fix this. So now he's just doing whatever he wants.

Archived