GOODKIND III

Werthead

Of course Betty is not evil. If she was evil Richard would have known instantly just like he did the evil chicken. Just because the goat cocked its head in a similar way as the chicken that is not a chicken cocked its head does not mean that goats are evil.

I mean, I'm cocking my head now does that mean I am evil?

I guess the difference is that the chicken that was not a chicken was pure evil, an incarnation of a "chime". Betty on the other hand was an unwitting pawn of the "Slide".

If the Goat were a direwolf would you be as upset?

Thanks 14D, that jogged a memory. I know what tomorrows quote of the day will be. OMG, if memory serves, its almost too mucking fuch.

Btw, were you referring to a direwolf that is not a direwolf, or a direwolf being used as a pawn of evil?

Where he claims that Sword of Truth has sold 60 million copies. :lmao: Pure. Bullshit. It's sold distressingly well (more than ASoIF, MBF or PoN, certainly), but it hasn't sold as well as Jordan, Herbert, Adams or Feist, let alone Mystar's utterly ludicrous and unsubstantiated claim that the series has sold more than Terry Pratchett.

I thought he was referring to how much money Goodkind had gotten for the books. Either way it's crass and ultimately irrelevant. His little tirade reminded me of Ben Stillers hilarious rant on how much his movies had made etc on Extras :lol:

Of course in this case it's even sadder, because Mystar is talking about someone else's accomplishments.

A direwolf? hmm let's see...

Arya gestured vaguely back at the men and the town behind her. "Since I've been with them, they have come to see that I'm not a psychopath, and Nymeria is not a monster - although for a time there I was afraid they might be right about Nymeria."

Jon peered down at the direwolf. Nymeria cocked her head. "I guess none of us but Nymeria knew the truth of what Jaime was up to." At the sound of her name, Nymeria's ears pricked forward and her tail went into a fit of expectant wagging.

<<long drawn out bunch of crap removed>>

After Jon picked up his pack and slipped his arms through the straps, Tyrion gripped Jon's hand. "Thank you, Lord Snow, for showing me that my life is worth living."

Sansa stepped forward and hugged him. "Thank you for teaching Tyrion to be worthy of me."

Jon laughed. Tyrion laughed. Ygritte gave Sansa an approving clap on the back. And then all the men laughed.

Nymeria pushed in and with a flurry of tail wagging got the point across that she didn't want to be left out.

Jon knelt down and scratched Nymeria's ears. "And you, my friend, from now on I don't want you letting any wargs using you to spy on people."

Nymerya pushed her head against his chest as he scratched her ears, and whimpered as if to say she was sorry.

Yep, cheese level is unchanged

What kind of pathetic excuse for a hero are you if you can't outwit an eight year old?

Hey, some eight year olds can be pretty witty. Just challenge them to a game of Chess sometime....you'll see

Arya gestured vaguely back at the men and the town behind her. "Since I've been with them, they have come to see that I'm not a psychopath, and Nymeria is not a monster - although for a time there I was afraid they might be right about Nymeria."

Jon peered down at the direwolf. Nymeria cocked her head. "I guess none of us but Nymeria knew the truth of what Jaime was up to." At the sound of her name, Nymeria's ears pricked forward and her tail went into a fit of expectant wagging.

After Jon picked up his pack and slipped his arms through the straps, Tyrion gripped Jon's hand. "Thank you, Lord Snow, for showing me that my life is worth living."

Sansa stepped forward and hugged him. "Thank you for teaching Tyrion to be worthy of me."

Jon laughed. Tyrion laughed. Ygritte gave Sansa an approving clap on the back. And then all the men laughed.

Nymeria pushed in and with a flurry of tail wagging got the point across that she didn't want to be left out.

Jon knelt down and scratched Nymeria's ears. "And you, my friend, from now on I don't want you letting any wargs using you to spy on people."

Nymerya pushed her head against his chest as he scratched her ears, and whimpered as if to say she was sorry.

MY EYES!

In all fairness about the Violet passage, in the context of the book, she truly had it coming. She was not just a petulent child. She was an evil, evil person who was responsible for the death of countless innocents, and the torture of many more. Sure, the scene was gratuitous, but gratuitous defines Goodkind's writing better than any other adjective.

No, she is an eight year old kid that’s been badly characterized. The point isn’t if she “deserve it†or not. The point is Richard’s vile action. He is supposed to be a great hero but gives into some “thing†when an eight year old girl taunts him and kicks her teeth in. The point is also Goodkind’s crappy writing skills. The only reason Richard isn’t being condemned in this scene is because the person he kicks is worse then him. That is not justice. That is just crappy writing and a cheap trick.

She is an eight year old child that has been badly trained. Richard is on his way to becoming the ruler of a country, surely he could’ve outwitted a kid in the second grade, no matter what “she had comingâ€

From what others have written, he feels no remorse for his action. Does he even reflect on what the “thing†that rose in him was? Maybe because it was because this was Goodkind’s first book and he wasn’t on his Objectivist roll yet, but this scene does not show Richard as an Objectivist. A principle tenant of Objectivist is rational reason. Given into raw emotion or a “thing†is unreasonable and illogical.

Shouldn't that be "And you, my friend, from now on I don't want you letting any wolves you rule to eat people."

Some of Richards power comes from his boundless rage, much like mr. Furious in "Mystery Men". I believe that's what the "thing" is. Letting his anger run amok allows him to commit all sorts of heroic deeds.

Jennsen gestured vaguely back at the men and the town behind her. "Since I've been with them, they have come to see that I'm not a witch, and Betty is not a spirit guide - although for a time there I was afraid they might be right about Betty."

Richard peered down at the goat. Betty cocked her head. "I guess none of us but Betty knew the truth of what Nicholas was up to." At the sound of her name, Betty's ears pricked forward and her tail went into a fit of expectant wagging.

I don’t have much experience with goats, mules or the like, do they wag their tail like a dog when they get attention? I’m thinking no.

Could’ve skipped this whole thing then :lol:

After Richard picked up his pack and slipped his arms through the straps, Owen gripped Richard's hand. "Thank you, Lord Rahl, for showing me that my life is worth living."

Thus launching Richard’s next career path as a motivational speaker

Marilee stepped forward and hugged him. "Thank you for teaching Owen to be worthy of me."

Richard laughed. Owen laughed. Cara gave Marilee an approving clap on the back. And then all the men laughed.

Proving that this world is full of such suck-ups that no one will laugh unless Richard does.

Betty pushed in and with a flurry of tail wagging got the point across that she didn't want to be left out.

A goat’s tail is what? 2 inches, how do you notice a flurry of tail wagging?

Richard knelt down and scratched Betty's ears. "And you, my friend, from now on I don't want you letting any Slides using you to spy on people."

Betty pushed her head against his chest as he scratched her ears, and bleated as if to say she was sorry.

Because a goat is a noble and rational being and it has the power to stop such a thing*.

How is this considered good writing by anyone?

*not to be confused with the “thing†that Richard feels to eight year old girls when they stick out their tongues.

From what others have written, he feels no remorse for his action. Does he even reflect on what the “thing†that rose in him was? Maybe because it was because this was Goodkind’s first book and he wasn’t on his Objectivist roll yet, but this scene does not show Richard as an Objectivist. A principle tenant of Objectivist is rational reason. Given into raw emotion or a “thing†is unreasonable and illogical.

Short answer? It's the power of looove, man. Compassion, man. Feel the vibes.

Long answer:

IIRC, it is some sort of magic from his toothpick of truth. You better compensate me for making me dig up and open my copy of WFR. Let's see. Sword supposedly works with 2 kinds of magic, (this dualty comes back in his entire "magical" system, destruction and creation, that sort of thing) anger and love.

Richard early on (read: minutes after he gains the weapon) learns how to wield the anger part of the system. After that he goes on his trip, goes along a few locations, and is captured and tortured by that S&M character, Denna. During his torture, he occasionally "feels" this thing, a power he can't control, but that gives him strength, wha'eva. So anyways; he grows more and more fond of his torturer, (stockholm syndrome?) and ultimately brought in for questioning. Bad Guy asks Richard to give him the info he needs, but Richard says no. The bad guy decides to turn Darth Vader on Denna and orders his 2 guards to kill her for her failure, one of his guards gladly begins to choke her. Now (perfectly timed) R. gets an attack of this 2nd power, breaks the neck of the first guard (All is fair in love and war?) and makes the second one fall on his own dagger. Bad guy is impressed (note: bad guy can't be killed before a certain date, very convienient), gives Richy a few tips, just enough to help him figure out it's the power of love, and lets him leave. He believes R. will return anyway because he wouldn't want to miss the end of the world (or something, this part was from memory)

Now excuse me while I go puke my guts out...

Originally posted by Hark but Soft:

OK, who is Fanatic-Templar?

That would be me, in the flesh*. And no, I am not "the real thing" though I do come from Wotmania, where I submitted the "Goodkind is the Dark One" theory.

*I am uncertain whether "in the flesh" applies when talking over the internet?

That would be me, in the flesh*. And no, I am not "the real thing" though I do come from Wotmania, where I submitted the "Goodkind is the Dark One" theory.

*I am uncertain whether "in the flesh" applies when talking over the internet?

You are bringing me much joy and entertainment. :) Keep it coming! :) I just posted a reply to you. It's particularly oblivious, even for Hard but Soft.

She is an eight year old child that has been badly trained. Richard is on his way to becoming the ruler of a country, surely he could’ve outwitted a kid in the second grade, no matter what “she had comingâ€

Outwitted her into what? I'm curious as to where the great battle of wits is here? Gotten her to say her name backwards thus sending her back to the 6th dimention? Extracted an unbreakable vow to leave Kahalan alone? Tricker her into giving up her crown? Talking her into leaping from the tallest tower in the castle?

Archived