GOODKIND III

Werthead

I can't believe i'm seeing Hobb compared to Goodkind. :sick:

DF was taking the piss. I'm not a massive Hobb fan but she does have some good points to her and her prose is vastly superior to Goodkind.

DF was taking the piss.

Thank god.

I'm not a massive Hobb fan but she does have some good points to her and her prose is vastly superior to Goodkind.

Well, quite. I can understand not liking an author, different people have different tastes. But comparing someone to Goodkind just because they don't like them is below the belt. :lol:

I'm almost alittle scared to ask who that is? Does he also weild the mighty power of the Yeard? :eek:

Actually Swanwick's a great author - probably the opposite of Goodkind in most ways. Swanwick intentionally writes fantasy (actually anti-fantasy), but it's a type of novel that clearly won't appeal to everyone and it has very unsympathetic characters.

Actually Swanwick's a great author - probably the opposite of Goodkind in most ways. Swanwick intentionally writes fantasy (actually anti-fantasy), but it's a type of novel that clearly won't appeal to everyone and it has very unsympathetic characters.

I dont know about that. I am a very forgiving reader, but I just couldnt bring myself to say anything good about Swanwick. Granted I only read one of his books, so that should be taken into consideration as well.

I thought the book I read was written like a High School paper in need of some re-writting. It was almost like he didnt put any time into thinking process before writting.

Wow, no one posted Turtledove's Darkness series? Makes Sword of Truth seem epic and engorssing. Hell, it might even make Hubbard seem like a great piece of literature.

Let me guess, no one else had the masachoistic drive to read past the first chapter of the first book? Good for you. I read book one then found myself reading the next three (and frequently bathing afterwards) finally ending by reading the last half of the last book just to know how it ended.

Well, concerning bad fanatsy authors, there is also Wolfgang Hohlbein. Most famous German fanatsy author in Germany, but only because, well... because there is NO other German fantasy author. Which means he gets an absolutely ridicolously overrated reputation.

Now, I grant, I havent read any Märchenmond book, which is thought to be his best work, but from what Ive read... boring, preachy, superficial. Thats how it can be summed up.

Oh, and also from Germany, Hans Joachim Alpers. Ive so far only see him writing in foreign universes, , band, he doesnt seem to be able to get a grasp on any of them, making his works the most cliche and superficial you can imagine. Might be different in hi original works, but considering his writing style (and considering you cant find them anywhere)... nah.

Now, should there be any Hohlbein fans here, they are free to flame away :P

I have only read one. Killing Dance or something like that.

it was stale, like she was bored with her own characters. and boring. "I'm a vampire hunter. Here is my really hot vampire boyfriend. Here is my equally hot werewolf boyfriend. They don't like each other and fight over me a lot."

I don't know if it was worse than goodkind though. at least it was short.

Yeah, I think that was the one that threw me over the edge.

Hey, we really need to take the piss out of that home-schooled twat that writes the dragon books. Paolini or Plagerize or whatever his name is... I read one chapter on Eragon and it made me want to pump bleach into my brain just to get it clean.

Eric Van Lustbader

I've steered well clear of this guy ever since his last-before-last fantasy novel was mercilessly ripped apart in every single review I've read of it.

Wow! I do remember reading one his series when I was in sixth grade or something. I completely forgot about it until Stegro mentioned it. I remember nothing from the series except it was some quesi-oriental thing, or maybe it was just the type of swords the hero used.

Hubbard has the distinction of being the first author whose series I stopped reading all the way through. I started to dislike his Mission Earth Series on the fourth novel but brought the next two because I already started the series. I couldn’t take anymore after and give up at number 6.

"Grrratch luuug Raaach aaarg." Richard squeezed him tighter. "I love you, too, Gratch."

A touching, shining moment from The Stone of Tears, it made me get all choked up.

"Grrratch luuug Raaach aaarg." Richard squeezed him tighter. "I love you, too, Gratch."

A touching, shining moment from The Stone of Tears, it made me get all choked up.

I wish a Gar would love me!

(it was a Gar, right?)

but I love you. Aren't shrimps good enough?! :cry:

Not unless the shrimp can fight!

So dont worry, your even better than a Gar! :cool:

(plus shrimp dont have flys follow them around)

OK, so how do all these people fit into the Deck of Dragons? Goodkind is obviously the Knight of House Crap

Hubbard = The Crippled God

Yeah, I think that was the one that threw me over the edge.

Hey, we really need to take the piss out of that home-schooled twat that writes the dragon books. Paolini or Plagerize or whatever his name is... I read one chapter on Eragon and it made me want to pump bleach into my brain just to get it clean.

It was a little slow getting started, is very typical of common fantasy, but didn't make me want to commit suicide or anything..nothing special, but well within the "average" range.

Archived