Saddest Moment to You in ASOIAF ?

Jose Stark

Ryman Frey fucking around with Robb's crown with that camp follower. The sheer disrespect to the Starks at the RW and after sickens me.

Them sewing Grey Wind's head on to Robb. :<

All of that will be repaid, with interest!!!

Not really a moment but the whole story of Robert Baratheon struck me as pretty heartbreaking. Particularly while he's dying and talking to Ned about how Rhaegar was the one who really won the war. He was a bigger than life person who wasted his life over something that happened in the past. His whole story is particularly sad because the general gist of it is something a lot of people can relate to. How he went to seed, how he dwelt in the past, how he filled his life with drinking to try and bury the love he felt for Lyanna behind him.

I'm taking back my vote. Lyanna Stark's death and the circumstances surrounding it wins. Hands down.

The whole crew that leads us into GOT; Rhaegar, Lyanna, Brandon, Ned, Robert, Elia, Jamie, Cersie....a few months before Lyanna dies they're just kids. They've seen a little craziness, but they're all about tournaments and roses and flirting and who will marry up the caste....it's summer for them. Fast forward to Lyanna's death:

she's lying on a bed of blood, barely 16, her little brother's friends and her son's guards are all butchered around the room just because she had a child, Ned is all fucked up, the love of her life was killed trying to secure their future happiness and their son's legacy and safety, thousands of people are dead from the war, Elia and her kids (mostly) are brutally killed because of her, the younger siblings are chased out of the country, Lyanna is dying...never going to know her son...her melancholy, beautiful soul mate just had his chest caved in by a horny, drunken behemoth; and the best knight in the land died saying his lover's name and painfully in love with her.....now she needs her little brother to take this kid, ruin his marriage, protect this scion of hope, lie to everybody, watch her die, and never, ever, ever ,ever speak of any of this to anybody. He agrees to it, she smiles and relaxes; knowing her son is safe and her brother agree to this terrible burden for her...and she dies.

Fuck me. That crawls into the tear ducts and starts kicking about, doesn't it?

I'm taking back my vote. Lyanna Stark's death and the circumstances surrounding it wins. Hands down.

The whole crew that leads us into GOT; Rhaegar, Lyanna, Brandon, Ned, Robert, Elia, Jamie, Cersie....a few months before Lyanna dies they're just kids. They've seen a little craziness, but they're all about tournaments and roses and flirting and who will marry up the caste....it's summer for them. Fast forward to Lyanna's death:

she's lying on a bed of blood, barely 16, her little brother's friends and her son's guards are all butchered around the room just because she had a child, Ned is all fucked up, the love of her life was killed trying to secure their future happiness and their son's legacy and safety, thousands of people are dead from the war, Elia and her kids (mostly) are brutally killed because of her, the younger siblings are chased out of the country, Lyanna is dying...never going to know her son...her melancholy, beautiful soul mate just had his chest caved in by a horny, drunken behemoth; and the best knight in the land died saying his lover's name and painfully in love with her.....now she needs her little brother to take this kid, ruin his marriage, protect this scion of hope, lie to everybody, watch her die, and never, ever, ever ,ever speak of any of this to anybody. He agrees to it, she smiles and relaxes; knowing her son is safe and her brother agree to this terrible burden for her...and she dies.

Fuck me. That crawls into the tear ducts and starts kicking about, doesn't it?

I kind of hope that R+L=J isn't true, just so I can come back to posts like this and chuckle.

- The Red Wedding, Catelyn's final thoughts still make my eyes teary when I reread it

- Arya's hole in her heart

- Arya hiding Needle; there were tears in my eyes, too.

“Needle was Robb and Bran and Rickon, her mother and her father, even Sansa. Needle was Winterfell's grey walls, and the laughter of its people. Needle was the summer snows, Old Nan's stories, the heart tree with its red leaves and scary face, the warm earthy smell of the glass gardens, the sound of the north wind rattling the shutters of her room. Needle was Jon Snow's smile. He used to mess my hair and call me "little sister," she remembered, and suddenly there were tears in her eyes.”

- Theon's thoughts about Robb who was a better brother to him than his actual brothers, plus:

"You were a hostage," Bolton said.

"Yes, m'lord. A hostage." It was my home, though. Not a true home, but the best I ever knew.

and Theon in the goodswood, remembering his name and who he is

- Egg, I dreamed that I was old.

ETA:

- Bran wanting to comfort Meera and he just can't

Meera began to cry.

Bran hated being crippled then."Don't cry," he said. He wanted to put his arms around her, hold her tight the way his mother used to hold him back at Winterfell when he'd hurt himself. She was right there, only a few feet from him, but so far out of reach it might have been a hundred leagues.

Archived