MLB 2013 III - When Puigs Fly

Myshkin

Last night's game was fun if oppressively hot. But the beer was cold! And Jayson Werth comes to the plate with the Walking Dead theme and Game of Thrones. Nice and dorky. I've now seen Strasburg pitch three times. This is important because I go to maybe two Nats games a year.

But back to the Dodgers. When Ramirez homered last night, MC and I stood up and did his 'I See You' to the crowd. Did I mention the beer was cold? Lots of high fiving around the park after the game for every Dodger shirt we saw. I was a source of confusion though, wearing my BoSox cap.

Glad Greinke got out of the first. Phew.

As I look around my train car at the defeated nationals fans while wearing my Dodgers cap I cannot help but feel a moral superiority.

This is because as a Dodger fan you are morally superior.

Really hard to believe Bedard yanked himself after throwing 109 pitches in a no-no. I kind of get it with his history of arm problems, but I also would think you would have a little more tenacity than that. It is baseball, even if you don't have your best stuff left they might still hit it at people for an inning or so.

This pitch count BS really annoys me. It would be different if he said "I felt tired and knew I would be overextending myself" or something like that instead of "I have had 3 shoulder surgeries I'm not going over 110 (pitches)."

These guys train to be pitchers. You hear about pros in Japan throwing tons of pitches without problems. I threw 150+ on Friday and will play SS today. It just doesn't make a ton of sense to me to just put a # on every guy and say that is when you have to be done. Not everyone is the same. I just wish Bedard would have said something about feeling his limits while pitching not just throw out a magic #.

So reports are that the Dodgers are prepared to offer Cuban right-hander Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez a 5 year $50 million contract. Scout reports on him say he'll only need 2 or 3 starts in the minors before he's ready to join a major league rotation.

Milwaukee has logged 3 shutouts in a row, tying a club record. Swept the Marlins without giving up a run in the series, including a 13 inning pitcher's duel this afternoon. What a weirdly schizophrenic team. For the first half of the season they had the worst pitching staff in the majors (though one of the best relieving crews) and now they've racked up 8 shutout wins since mid-June. It's a given their season is done (cellar dwelling the NL Central) but it's frustrating to see a team so unable to put everything together all at once.

Braun basically admitted he took roids in his statement. Didn't come right out and say it, but said he made mistakes and that he was willing to take his punishment for it. So I guess no appeal?

Braun basically admitted he took roids in his statement. Didn't come right out and say it, but said he made mistakes and that he was willing to take his punishment for it. So I guess no appeal?

his 'apology' was limp and weak. fuck that guy. you cheated, you prick. everyone fucking knows it. don't be such a dick and be so condscending and patronizing in his 'apology.'

“As I have acknowledged in the past, I am not perfect. I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions. This situation has taken a toll on me and my entire family, and it is has been a distraction to my teammates and the Brewers organization. I am very grateful for the support I have received from players, ownership and the fans in Milwaukee and around the country. Finally, I wish to apologize to anyone I may have disappointed – all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates. I am glad to have this matter behind me once and for all, and I cannot wait to get back to the game I love.”

'glad to have this matter behind me?' please...this is not over at all.

a rod...you are next.

I wonder if that statement of apologies includes one to the sample collector he slandered last year.

Right? He needs to make a public apology to that guy.

his 'apology' was limp and weak. fuck that guy. you cheated, you prick. everyone fucking knows it. don't be such a dick and be so condscending and patronizing in his 'apology.'

Indeed, very weak. Especially after his indignant protestations of innocence. MLB Network just showed his whole speech from last year about how he never ever never took roids, and it was the mean old collector who was at fault, and MLB was conducting a witch hunt. I hope they continue to show that speech every ten min. until Braun is forced to really take responsibility and apologize personally and publicly to all the people he slandered.

Sample collector should get to kick Ryan right in his shriveled balls for dragging his name through the mud. This guy is a jerk

and matt kemp deserves the 2011 mvp

and all of those hits he had against the dbacks in the nlcs should be voided.

okay, maybe neither of those things.

but, at this point in the sport after all the damage ped use had on baseball during the bonds/sosa/bigmac era it boggles the mind that these players will still use them.

i support lifetime bans. if we want the game to truly be clean (and i really do not think that the front office of the mlb and the players union care) you must take this kind of scorched earth approach.

It sounds like the Rangers are getting Garza off the Cubs. That's a pretty nice pickup for them with a lot of season still to go.

This deal makes me wonder what's wrong with Mike Olt. I haven't been following him but the Rangers have refused to part with him in the past, and now they're giving him up for a rental.

It sounds like the Rangers are getting Garza off the Cubs. That's a pretty nice pickup for them with a lot of season still to go.

If all are healthy, it's a nice potential hall for the Cubs.

Liked Garza well enough. Wish he'd been here when things get good. My head tells me he had to be traded. My heart tells me that we'll miss him because he's just about the healthiest he's been in a good long while and he could be pitching in Chicago...until my head reminds me that if he stays he'll blow an elbow by the end of the month...

Archived