Rhaegar dying for his love

aceluby

In Dany's first chapter she talks about the battle of the Trident and that Rhaegar was fighting for the woman he loved. Who was she talking about? It couldn't have been Elia, there was no reason for him to be fighting for her, so they must be talking about Lyanna. But if that's the case, how does Dany (or Viserys) know about Rhaegar's love of her? Also, if she knows this, why does she still have hatred for the Stark house? Or is it just something where she assumes the story is about his wife and not another lover?

Dany does fall in love with Khal Drogo, so it is possible that she belives that one can kidnap and rape somebody that they with someone they love.

Also it is possible that Viserys in his worship of his family and hatred for the usurpers dropped the whole kidnap and rape aspect of the story.

The hatred for the Stark household is more likely because the Starks were main players in RR...without Ned and his bannermen, a Targaryen might still be sitting on the throne. The actions of the house sort of trump any actions on Lyanna's part (or inaction if she truly was kidnapped, held against her will, and raped).

when has Dany ever known anything about Westeros ?

It's in the very first chapter of AGoT

"Yet sometimes Dany would picture the way it had been, so often had her brother told her the stories. The midnight flight to Dragonstone, moonlight shimmering on the ship's black sails. Her brother Rhaegar battling the Usurper in the bloody waters of the Trident and dying for the woman he loved."

I'm most interested in who this woman he loved was, or more importantly, who Dany think she is.

Rhaegar died because he was stupid enough to believe he could defeat Bob Baratheon at his own game.

Dany's knowledge of westeros is second hand and biased and utterly useless,

I'm most interested in who this woman he loved was, or more importantly, who Dany think she is.

I think Viserys from Darry knew it was Lyanna who was "kidnapped" by Rhaegar so it must be her.

Rhaegar died because he was stupid enough to believe he could defeat Bob Baratheon at his own game.

Dany's knowledge of westeros is second hand and biased and utterly useless,

It may be second hand, but it doesn't disuade my curiosity as to who she thinks this is.

It kind of has to mean Lyanna, Robert wasn't fighting for Elia. It's not out of the realm of possibility that after Harrenhal they stopped briefly in Kings Landing before going south to the Tower of Joy. If that were the case, Viserys may have seen them together.

It's in the very first chapter of AGoT

"Yet sometimes Dany would picture the way it had been, so often had her brother told her the stories. The midnight flight to Dragonstone, moonlight shimmering on the ship's black sails. Her brother Rhaegar battling the Usurper in the bloody waters of the Trident and dying for the woman he loved."

i was being sarcastic ,sorry

but as for that yes the woman is Lyanna he died with a woman's name on his lips

and yes dany does believe he loved her

'"if he loved you, he would come and carry you off at swordpoint, as

Rhaegar carried off his northern girl, the girl in her insisted, but the queen knew that was folly"

Viserys was about eight when Rhaegar died. That's certainly old enough to remember a good deal of what's going on. He either heard from Rhaegar himself, or from gossip via servants and those around the king, about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Barristan even mentions that Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna, and I can't even figure out where he got that from, unless from Rhaegar himself or someone close to him. Of course, I've always assumed Rhaegar took Lyanna straight to Dorne, so very little chance of Barristan knowing of Rhaegar's love for her.

Or maybe Dany has heard the story that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, simply cannot believe that her brother, loved and respected by so many, could be so evil and accepted the theory that Lyanna must have wanted to be with him, and the rape story was Robert's lies.

Thanks! It seems that everyone except Robert understood that Rhaegar and Lyanna ran off together. Barristan probably knew because he was his KG. This also seems to put a lot of doubt into the 'kidnap and rape' story since who kidnaps and rapes the woman they love except for crazy people like the Mad King, who Rhaegar was nothing like.

Viserys was about eight when Rhaegar died. That's certainly old enough to remember a good deal of what's going on. He either heard from Rhaegar himself, or from gossip via servants and those around the king, about Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Barristan even mentions that Rhaegar loved his lady Lyanna, and I can't even figure out where he got that from, unless from Rhaegar himself or someone close to him. Of course, I've always assumed Rhaegar took Lyanna straight to Dorne, so very little chance of Barristan knowing of Rhaegar's love for her.

Rhaegar stopping at Kings Landing first would explain why Viserys may have known that, and why Brandon Stark came there looking for Rhaegar.

Or maybe Dany has heard the story that Rhaegar kidnapped and raped Lyanna, simply cannot believe that her brother, loved and respected by so many, could be so evil and accepted the theory that Lyanna must have wanted to be with him, and the rape story was Robert's lies.

Doubtful w/ all her POV chapters. Why wouldn't she mention that once? Viserys, sure, since we don't have a POV, but Dany clearly heard these stories w/out changing them.

Rhaegar stopping at Kings Landing first would explain why Viserys may have known that, and why Brandon Stark came there looking for Rhaegar.

It does make sense, now the only open question is why not ask for Lyanna and instead ask for Rhaegar only?

Well, in Selmy's case, he was around the TOH and the whole year Rhaegar stayed in KL before kidnapping Lyanna, so he must have known of what was going on with Rhae. Everyone knows everything in KL, there are really no secrets

Viserys was talking BS that he heard when he was a child and from Darry. The only thing Rhaegar loved was his own ego and that prophecy.

That may be the case if this came from a single character, but both Barristan and JonCon later support this.

I don't see why Rhaegar would stop at KL? to say goodbye?

What we know is that Lyanna disappeared with him, and if he had stopped at KL with her I think it would be mentioned in the story.

Brandon went there probably because someone intentionally told him a different story to screw him over and start chaos

It almost seems deliberate doesn't it? Aerys was going mad, Rhae started a scandal, a pissed off family...perfect moment to start a rebellion. Let's throw Brandon Stark at the mad king, we know how that will turn out

Archived