Rhaegar dying for his love

aceluby

I think she doesn't exactly know the reason why the starks joined the rebellion. You Can't expect ned stark to sit in winterfell while his father and brother are being killed by aerys. Even if he knew lyanna and rhaegar were lovers or the worst consequences of such rebellion he couldn't have stayed silent IMO

Dany does fall in love with Khal Drogo, so it is possible that she belives that one can kidnap and rape somebody that they with someone they love.

Also it is possible that Viserys in his worship of his family and hatred for the usurpers dropped the whole kidnap and rape aspect of the story.

We're not sure of it was unwilling kidnap and rape. Nothing in the text confirms it to be either consensual or non consensual. We only hear some very biased POV opinions on either end of the spectrum.

Wildling women marry through a form of staged/real kidnap. In some strange way in that culture it shows them the worth of the man. They know that at the end of the day they could slay the man as easily as he her.

Since everything Dany knows about Westeros is filtered through Viserys, he definitely romanticized the whole affair. She knows her bro was married with children, and still chose to run off with Lyanna, whether she went willingly or not remains to be seen, but she overlooks this since Rheagar is held really high in people's general opinion.

There is line between running off with/kidnapping someone, but both sides see this the way the want. And it wasn't only Robert who thought that Lyanna was unwillingly taken. I was under the impression that many people supported that claim.

I think there is more to the story, no matter which scenario turns out to be true.

Since everything Dany knows about Westeros is filtered through Viserys, he definitely romanticized the whole affair.

:agree:

Dany knows absolutely nothing about her brother and considering the fact that she turned a blind eye to him causing the destruction of their house, leaving his wife and kids and running off with a 15 year old paints a picture of what kind of education Viserys gave her.

She gets more information from Jorah; who was only a spectator, he never knew Rhaegar personally. And Barristan who thinks a man who caused the deaths of thousands would make a good king.

They don't seem to be the most reliable of people do they?

I guess Viserys doesn't see the bad side of the R+L scandal, Rhae abandoning his wife and children

Viserys thought the dragons could do anything. They were above the rest. So if Rhaegar wanted another woman and took her, everyone should have dealt with it, including Rhae's wife

I think she doesn't exactly know the reason why the starks joined the rebellion. You Can't expect ned stark to sit in winterfell while his father and brother are being killed by aerys. Even if he knew lyanna and rhaegar were lovers or the worst consequences of such rebellion he couldn't have stayed silent IMO

Ned was in the Eyrie with Robert until Aerys demanded Jon Arryn send him their heads. He in turn raised his banners in rebellion.

Dany knows absolutely nothing about her brother and considering the fact that she turned a blind eye to him causing the destruction of their house, leaving his wife and kids and running off with a 15 year old paints a picture of what kind of education Viserys gave her.

She gets more information from Jorah; who was only a spectator, he never knew Rhaegar personally. And Barristan who thinks a man who caused the deaths of thousands would make a good king.

Blaming Rhaegar for what Aerys did is a case study in moral error.

I think they are. Do you have anyone else to explain what happened besides Bob delusional self?

We can only go by with what the characters are saying to us, it is the message GRRM wants to send.

If Selmy and other people who were close to Rhaegar only say good things about the guy (and bad things when it comes to Aerys, for example) we might consider it's the truth, don't you agree? It makes more sense than, for example, your head canon that thinks Rhaegar was the ultimate douchebag.

I do think that Jorah and Barristan are reliable people when it comes to Rhaegar. Jorah has a unbiased opinion regarding Rhaegar so his input is reliable IMO. Barristan served 5 Kings who were good and bad and he did know Rhaegar, not as intimately as Author Dayne but he did know him and his qualities so yes Barristan is a very reliable narrator on who would make a great King.

And I still say Rhaegar never caused a war that was on Aerys and it just escalated.

• 1 year later...

How do you know that?

He died saying her name and that had nothing to do with any prophecies.

And how do you know his intentions when saying her name? You don't know anymore than anybody else...and we never will.

His entire life was based on the prophecies, you think 1 girl changed that? Not me...It's my opinion.

And how do you know his intentions when saying her name? You don't know anymore than anybody else...and we never will.

His entire life was based on the prophecies, you think 1 girl changed that? Not me...It's my opinion, and i couldn't careless what you think of it. :)

GRRM did say that we would know the whole story concerning Rhaegar and Lyanna.

Archived