Small questions v.10009

Angalin

I've been rereading SoS and something's been nagging me. What exactly was the whole purpose of the wildling group led by Jarl and Styg (which included Jon and Ygritte)? At first I thought their mission was to scale the wall, go to one of the castles, get rid of any crows there, and then open the gates for the larger host of wildlings, but I see now that right after scaling the wall, the group is heading south into The Gift and away from The Wall. So were they just going to try to start raiding the south in hopes of distracting the NW from the next potentially larger group? Were they just a convenient way for GRRM to get Jon back to Castle Black?

I've been rereading SoS and something's been nagging me. What exactly was the whole purpose of the wildling group led by Jarl and Styg (which included Jon and Ygritte)? At first I thought their mission was to scale the wall, go to one of the castles, get rid of any crows there, and then open the gates for the larger host of wildlings, but I see now that right after scaling the wall, the group is heading south into The Gift and away from The Wall. So were they just going to try to start raiding the south in hopes of distracting the NW from the next potentially larger group? Were they just a convenient way for GRRM to get Jon back to Castle Black?

No, you got it right. I think they traveled south of the Wall to svoid any traffic between CB & the Shadow Tower. And they might have been following a reliable raiding route.

they're distancing themselves from the wall first so they can swing around and approach castle black from the south via the kingsroad and take the castle since it's indefensible from that direction. I'd wondered why they go so far out of their way before too and I just figure it's so no one who might be patrolling the wall can see them and so they can take the castle completely unawares

At the end of ADWD, Varys tells the dying Ser Kevan that Aegon is alive and has returned to reclaim his throne. Lying to a soon to be dead man serves no point and can do little harm. So assuming Varys actually believes it real-Aegon, is is possible someone else has pulled the wool over even Varys' all-seeing eyes?

Well, someone's always listening in the Red Keep. Also if you really want to convince other people of a lie, the first step is convincing yourself on some level. That way it's like you're not even lying.

Well, someone's always listening in the Red Keep. Also if you really want to convince other people of a lie, the first step is convincing yourself on some level. That way it's like you're not even lying.

He's doing it for the children. Those poor sweet kids. You know the orphans that had their tongues ripped out before Varys took them in and gave them shelter. They're who he's doing it for.

Since Harren the Black was Ironborn (and a Greyjoy, I think), do Theon and Asha have a claim to Harrenhal?

Not really, since at least seven houses have held the castle since then. However a claim is really only as strong as the people backing it.

Every now and then I hear a theory that Duncan the Small was in fact a dwarf, and that this would back the theory of Tyrion being Aerys' bastard son.

Is there any canonic evidence that would point to this (either the books, SSM, etc.), or is it just wild fan speculation?

Every now and then I hear a theory that Duncan the Small was in fact a dwarf

Sounds like pure fanfic. As he participated successfully in tourneys to the point that defeating him once was recorded as a special feat in Barristan's entry in the White Book and as we never heard anything about dwarfism, it's extremely unlikely that he could have been a dwarf.

He was just smaller than his namesake Duncan the Tall (and little wonder).

Every now and then I hear a theory that Duncan the Small was in fact a dwarf, and that this would back the theory of Tyrion being Aerys' bastard son.

Is there any canonic evidence that would point to this (either the books, SSM, etc.), or is it just wild fan speculation?

Isn't the Smalljon taller than the Greatjon? Don't buy that hype.

Any thoughts who actually is Beric Dondarrion's squire named Ned?

In aSoS Arya wonders his outlook, which she thinks is curious for a Dornishman (dark blue, almost purple eyes and pale blond hair, more ash than honey).

On first reading I didn't pay much attention to that, but on my second round now I've learned to always pay attention to details like this...

In aSoS Arya wonders his outlook, which she thinks is curious for a Dornishman (dark blue, almost purple eyes and pale blond hair, more ash than honey).

On first reading I didn't pay much attention to that, but on my second round now I've learned to always pay attention to details like this...

That's Edric Dayne,He's the current lord of Starfall.

Like Morienthar says that's Edric Dayne. The Daynes have the silver hair and purple eyes normally associated with Targaryens and other Valyrians however they have no Valyrian blood that we know of, and have a history dating back thousands of years which makes their appearance most curious.

Yes, the answer was in the next page, sorry... I posted the question too early, having the accurate description in front me, without waiting for reading the next two pages. I really didn't remember that conversation's gonna happen (between Arya and Ned) from my first reading.

This whole Dayne thing confuses me still: a possible love affair between "Old" Ned and Lady Ashara, her suicide, Jon's "mother" Wylla..

And how does this all fit/what else does this mean, if we believe R+L=J thing (and why don't we)..?

But propably that's the way the author's meant it to be. The confusion.

Yes, the answer was in the next page, sorry... I posted the question too early, having the accurate description in front me, without waiting for reading the next two pages. I really didn't remember that conversation's gonna happen (between Arya and Ned) from my first reading.

This whole Dayne thing confuses me still: a possible love affair between "Old" Ned and Lady Ashara, her suicide, Jon's "mother" Wylla..

And how does this all fit/what else does this mean, if we believe R+L=J thing (and why don't we)..?

But propably that's the way the author's meant it to be. The confusion.

It's theorised that one of the Starks, either Ned or Brandon did sleep with Ashara and did have a bastard with her. This bastard may have been passed of Ashara's sister and may actually be Allyria Dayne.

If you believe some theories (I don't) Ashara may actually still be alive as Septa Lemore or someone else.

I definitely think we'll learn more about Ashara, however tbh I think she is mostly just a Red Herring in regards to Jon's parentage. I think that House Dayne in general, and it's history and the history of Dawn, will be much more important.

ETA: As for Wylla it seems confirmed that she was/is the wetnurse at Starfall. It's possible that she was at the Tower of Joy (perhaps bought by Arthur Dayne) and knows about R+L=J and may have agreed to be Ned's cover story.

Archived