Small questions v.10009

Angalin

Why did Hoster Tully take Petyr Baelish on as ward? He was a great lord and Petyr was hardly better than a peasant. There doesn't seem to be much of a political motivation. Is there some explanation in the books that I missed?

From the app: Despite being the smallest of small lords, however, Petyr's father does a service for Hoster Tully during the war of the Ninepenny Kings, when they fight side by side. It is in exchange for this service that Lord Hoster will later accept Petyr as a ward.

Why did Hoster Tully take Petyr Baelish on as ward? He was a great lord and Petyr was hardly better than a peasant. There doesn't seem to be much of a political motivation. Is there some explanation in the books that I missed?

Yeah, LF's dad served Hoster well in the WOT9PK.

Question:

I've been reading some theories. So If it's true that Lyanna is the KotLT. and if it's true that Rhaegar caught up with her after the tourney.

It seems plausible that Lyanna would tell Rhaegar Howland's story about meeting the CotF on the Isle of Faces. Rhaegar being into prophecies and generally curious... does it seem possible that Rhaegar would have gone to the Isle of Faces to find them himself?

Meeting the CotF would be fascinating and he was already close by... I know I'd check it out. Thoughts?

Yeah, LF's dad served Hoster well in the WOT9PK.

From the app: Despite being the smallest of small lords, however, Petyr's father does a service for Hoster Tully during the war of the Ninepenny Kings, when they fight side by side. It is in exchange for this service that Lord Hoster will later accept Petyr as a ward.

Thanks!

Question:

I've been reading some theories. So If it's true that Lyanna is the KotLT. and if it's true that Rhaegar caught up with her after the tourney.

It seems plausible that Lyanna would tell Rhaegar Howland's story about meeting the CotF on the Isle of Faces. Rhaegar being into prophecies and generally curious... does it seem possible that Rhaegar would have gone to the Isle of Faces to find them himself?

Meeting the CotF would be fascinating and he was already close by... I know I'd check it out. Thoughts?

Interesting but beyond the scope of small questions. Why don't you start a thread?

Question:

One of the popular theories within R+L=J theory is that Lyanna and Rhaegar wed on the Isle of Faces, possibly with the Green men presiding over the ceremony. Unless Howland delivered some sort of prophetic message from the isle or the green men, I don't think Rhaegar would have gone simply because Howland went. The Isle of Faces is fairly well know so Rhaegar could have visited at any time.

Disclaimer: I'm not trolling, I just want a good laugh.

There's a toilet humor film I watched recently called Your Highness. There was one line that made me laugh very hard: 'Everyone in the kingdom wants to suck your dick! NO ONE WANTS TO SUCK MINE!' (one character is jealous of the popularity of the other character to put it in context)

What would be the snappy comeback from Tyrion of ASOIAF be to this line? Or any other character with a sense of humor. ('Pull down your breeches' is too easy)

Disclaimer: I'm not trolling, I just want a good laugh.

There's a toilet humor film I watched recently called Your Highness. There was one line that made me laugh very hard: 'Everyone in the kingdom wants to suck your dick! NO ONE WANTS TO SUCK MINE!' (one character is jealous of the popularity of the other character to put it in context)

What would be the snappy comeback from Tyrion of ASOIAF be to this line? Or any other character with a sense of humor. ('Pull down your breeches' is too easy)

Comeback: because everyone thinks your Sweets are too salty

I have a question regarding Catelyn's chapter, and I was wondering if one of you could help me.

In the quoted paragraph, Catelyn says that 'Ice' sword that Ned possesses was forged in Valyria, before the Doom but the name it bore was a legacy from the Age of Heroes.

Q. Does this mean that this 'Ice' sword Ned possesses, is not the 'original' Ice sword? The original 'Ice' sword which existed from the Age of Heroes had been passed down until 400 years?

"I am always proud of Bran," Catelyn replied, watching the sword as he stroked it. She could see the rippling deep within the steel, where the metal had been folded back on itself a hundred times in the forging. Catelyn had no love for swords, but she could not deny that Ice had its own beauty. It had been forged in Valyria, before the Doom had come to the old Freehold, when the ironsmiths had worked their metal with spells as well as hammers. Four hundred years old it was, and as sharp as the day it was forged. The name it bore was older still, a legacy from the age of heroes, when the Starks were Kings in the North.

Q. Does this mean that this 'Ice' sword Ned possesses, is not the 'original' Ice sword? The original 'Ice' sword which existed from the Age of Heroes had been passed down until 400 years?

Indeed, Ned's Ice wasn't the original Ice. Whether the Age-of-Heroes Ice has been passed down until 400 years ago, or whether there was another Ice in between is not clear afaik.

There are some people who speculate that the original Ice might resurface in the next books. Maybe from the crypts of Winterfell.

Archived