Mance/Jon--Dany/Rhagear(spoilers)

MidnightAurora

I just finished the chapter where Jon finally comes face to face with Mance. Their conversation sparked curiosity and concern. From the first two books we are led to believe that Mance left the NW many years more than he stated and his reputation was wildly exaggerated. Then it got me thinking about different things and also makes me suspect Mance knows Jon is lying and wants to see how good of a liar he is. 1.) Maybe Mance was also set to a mission just as Halfhand commanded Jon to his mission. (I believe Halfhand came up with a plan after he asked the wildling Ygritte if he were to be taken he would be killed even if he went willingly and as a prisoner, but would readily accept Jon Snow if he came over.) I wondered why they would except Jon aside from being a Stark over a NW commander much more valuable considering. 2.) Mance's reputation was all over the place which make you seem like he deserted the NW much more than just a mere 10 years prior and no ever seemed to mention what he looked like. In the tent, Jon dismisses everyone especially the lute player and goes to the biggest of the wildlings in the tent. Mance turns out to be just an ordinary man who was in the NW and saw Jon twice. Since no one cared to pass on what Mance looked like I can see how he could be easily passed off and take no mind. Especially since he does not act like most of the wildlings we met so far. 3.) He saw Jon twice. The 1st when Jon was little and asked the NW person to keep their secret with the snow. Which Mance said he did. The 2nd was when Robert came to ask Ned to be hand. The way he stated how he was able to get there unnoticed and fall into Robert's procession as a free rider got me to thinking that Ygritte is right there is secret passage ways that only the wildlings know about and about Bael the Bard and maybe there is truth to that as well. Since if the story was true in parts, Bael would have had to find a way south undetected especially at a time where the wall was much more guarded.

4. Why did Mance go see the Stark children again? What purpose did he need to see how the Stark children had grown? 5. Mance knows Benjen as he went with him to Winterfell when Jon was a child. Which maybe Benjen and Mance were friends and maybe Benjen is not dead, but on a mission as well. Ghost found the hidden treasure that Jon stated was buried recently amongst items a lot older than the top items. 6. Jon was able to formulate his lies pretty well which I thought that was odd how quickly he was able to "lie" and so far w/o guilt. The response Mance gave to his answers makes me believe Mance knows he is lying. Jon is safe for now since they obliged the guest right rules. It seems like Mance needs Jon for something else, but have yet to put a finger on it. I was surprised that MAnce only recently wed and impregnated a woman who was "south" of the wall. i am wondering who she is and if she is of importance or just someone random. From the stories it would seem as if Mance had many "wives" instead of the one.

Dany never met her eldest brother Rhagear and not much is known about him except from people's recollections. However she appears to idolizing him and seeing him as perfect and forgetting his faults. This is dangerous because she is beginning to have tunnel vision and on a way to making mistakes I fear. She commanded more authority when she was building the fire to burn Drogo's body and after she birthed her dragons. Not she seems more childish and not learning from her past mistakes. Quaithe told her to leave and not to trust anyone and Dany does not heed the advice nor the advice to go to Asshai which I am beginning to think she should. SHe instead goes to the HOTU where they try to kill her by draining her life-force to birth themselves again. She stays with Xaro thinking he is hospitable only he is after her dragons and as soon as she makes it clear that would never happen he shows his true colors. I had more on this topic, but will come back to it later. i am just thinking as she immortalizes her brother as perfect she is not leaving her self open to see the "truths" in past, present etc..

• 11 months later...

A Storm of Swords

Although this is a page about still reading ''ASOS'', I have just finished ''A clash of Kings'', but I have watched all four seasons of the TV series. This was an intriguing text, and I liked it. Hope you make more like this.

Do you want to be my read-along-buddy?

I'm actually finishing Clash of Kings tonight. (I closed the book around pg. 930 of 969, with just two chapters to read).

I may start SoS tonight!!!

Just curious - why'd you pick your name "Oberyn's Avenger"?

I have a few theories on Oberyn - that aren't globally accepted - so I'd be interested to know what you think of him.

Archived