Jon and Ghost and the other STarks and their direwolves

MidnightAurora

I just finished a ACOK and a few things have me thinking. Rickon though the youngest Stark child has not been able to train his wolf, but his wolf seems hard pressed to leave his side and even steps between him and the other wolves as they try to play and also discipline him a little. Summer never wants to leave Bran and howled continuously while Bran was in his coma and killed his would be assassin even when people tried to run him off he would always come back. Lady was very pretty and obedient and did what Sansa told her and never left her side. Nymeria always following Arya and in AGOT it took a lot of effort to "force" her to leave Arya's side as Ned put it (Even a blind man could that wolf would not leave you willingly). Grey Wind followed Robb and as the oldest reigned very disciplined and tried to help with the other wolves. Ghost is different at times he is always with Jon and other times he does not listen to Jon and runs away and sometimes it seems as if he is trying to break the bond with Jon.

Like Jon the other wolves think of Ghost as the other one the silent one and never really call him brother.

Any thoughts on Jon and Ghost and the actions Ghost takes sometimes compared to the others?

Hi all first post!!!

IMHO, Ghost isn't that much unlike all of his direwolf brothers and sisters, he has formed a parent/child bonding with Jon just like the other wolves did with there own new masters, after their mother died. But just like Jon, Ghost was somewhat of an outcast even in his own pack of brothers and sisters, he was the runt of the litter and was probably last to nurse on the mother wolf if he was even allowed to nurse at all. This *treatment* caused him to feel isolated and more independent than the other direwolves felt which made him the perfect wolf for Jon but other than that I think he would defend Jon to the last because he is the only family he now has or has possibly ever known.

Thanks

LD

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first time posting so I apologize if this has already been said and would appreciate a link to that discussion…also I am a first time reader with only 200 pages left to go in ACOK but I have seen the HBO show through season 3 so I am somewhat spoiled :(

I have been thinking about the starks and their dire wolves and how they parallel each other…I read a theory somewhere about the fact that the direwolf mother was killed by a stage was a foreshadowing of Ned being killed by Joffery who is recognized legally as Roberts son (at least so far not sure what will happen in later books) the 5 wolf pups are supposed to symbolized the five stark children so I wonder if the fates of the wolves foreshadow the fate of the Starks?

Arya’s wolf was chased off to save its life and it is heavily implied that her wolf is still alive with a pack and roaming the countryside…later in the story Arya is also chased off so to speak and is roaming the countryside with her ragtag pack of sorts…gendry and hotpie

Rob and his wolf have a strong bond and they fight together…I know things that happen in the next book that I won’t go into but I know they share many of the same experiences

Jon bran and reckons wolves so far are all alive and have strong connections each to their stark

My question is on Sansa’s wolf…she was executed very early in the story and while Sansa is still alive she is under extreme duress…I don’t know how far into the later books she goes but could her wolf dying be a foreshadowing that at some point she will be executed?

This is my first time posting so I apologize if this has already been said and would appreciate a link to that discussion…also I am a first time reader with only 200 pages left to go in ACOK but I have seen the HBO show through season 3 so I am somewhat spoiled :(

I have been thinking about the starks and their dire wolves and how they parallel each other…I read a theory somewhere about the fact that the direwolf mother was killed by a stage was a foreshadowing of Ned being killed by Joffery who is recognized legally as Roberts son (at least so far not sure what will happen in later books) the 5 wolf pups are supposed to symbolized the five stark children so I wonder if the fates of the wolves foreshadow the fate of the Starks?

Arya’s wolf was chased off to save its life and it is heavily implied that her wolf is still alive with a pack and roaming the countryside…later in the story Arya is also chased off so to speak and is roaming the countryside with her ragtag pack of sorts…gendry and hotpie

Rob and his wolf have a strong bond and they fight together…I know things that happen in the next book that I won’t go into but I know they share many of the same experiences

Jon bran and reckons wolves so far are all alive and have strong connections each to their stark

My question is on Sansa’s wolf…she was executed very early in the story and while Sansa is still alive she is under extreme duress…I don’t know how far into the later books she goes but could her wolf dying be a foreshadowing that at some point she will be executed?

It is more of a point that with Lady being killed so is Sansa's chance at ever becoming a proper lady. Some speculate she might be turned into Cersei 2.0.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that Ghost's bound with Jon is like the others's direwolves with their Stark. He stand by him and help him sometimes. He is a little bit more independant than the others, but he always comes back with Jon. Summer usually left Bran and went hunting or just played in the woods, and the only difference is that Bran couls warg into him whenever he wanted.

I don't want to spoil anything, (I have finished ASOS) so I will not write about Sansa's story here.Somewhere in the book I read :"She lost her wolf", as if it meant that a part of her was dead or lost. As far as I know, Lady's death just means that she is all alone in the world, with no protection at all.

• 4 months later...

Brans first chapter, in the first novel, game of thrones, said it best when they found the wolves. it went soemthing like, "bran thought it curious that jons white wolf, was the first to open its eyes and see."

monumental words. chilling.

• 2 weeks later...

It is more of a point that with Lady being killed so is Sansa's chance at ever becoming a proper lady. Some speculate she might be turned into Cersei 2.0.

And some speculate completely different things. Sansa is completely different from Cersei, and IMO there's zero chance of her becoming Cersei 2.0. Also, I don't see what that has to do with a direwolf being dead. A direwolf is unlikely to represent the ability to fit into the role of a lady - quite the opposite; and Cersei is a "proper lady" in the eyes of the world, even though she hates that role, at least until a much later event in the books, unlike some other female characters who completely reject the role of a conventional lady, like Arya or Asha or Brienne. Sansa is behaving like a lady (a real one, not just superficially so like Cersei) long after Lady's death just as she did before she even got Lady.

I think that Lady's death leaves Sansa not only without protection, but also with a difficulty in getting in touch with her intuitive and 'wild' side, which she's somewhat disconnected from compared to her focus on the courtesy as "lady's shield" that allows her to physically survive and protect herself emotionally. Although I think she's still gradually coming more into touch with it, but it's a long and hard road. It has been argued that the Hound kind of fulfills the role left open by her direwolf, both by protecting her and by appealing to the instinctive part of her (there are at least two moments in which she is described as acting on instinct with him, when she touches his shoulder and comforts him during the Trident scene in AGOT and when she cups his cheek during the BW scene in ACOK).

Archived