[ADWD Spoilers] Dragon Language

TheBlackfyre

I searched and couldn't find a topic about this.

My question is this: Do we need to command dragons only in High Valyrian? In second and third books, we saw that Dany commanded them only in High Valyrian. Even the only word Dany used to command was ''Dracarys'', I still wonder if she had to say a word in High Valyrian to make them understand.

But in ADWD, she commanded Drogon in Common Tongue. During the chaos in Daznak's Pit; Dany commanded Drogon to stop using a whip. But she didn't use High Valyrian. Maybe GRRM thought that he didn't need to state that she is using High Valyrian. No matter what, I think there must be a strong connection between High Valyrian and Dragons.

I also think that it is irrelevent in which language you train a dragon. I think somewhere was stated that their intelligence is like that of other "lesser" animals such as dogs. Therefore they respond to whatever command you train them. And High Valyrian simpy fits for the ancient dragonlords of Valyria trained them in their mothertongue. "Dracarys" for example is more or less the standard command for a dragon to breathe fire. So she trained her dragons to respond to that word.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think she chose "Dracarys" because it was a word that was not commonly used. Like how in the US, police dogs are trained in German. It would be ill planned if the dragons spit fire every time someone said "Fire".

:agree: that would suck...lol

• 2 weeks later...

Archived