How will Jon Snow learn about his lineage

Thormund Stark

Hey guys I'm new here and recently I've been thinking about this. First off this is assuming R+l=J is true, and if it is how do you think he will find out I know there is the obvious route like Howland or his kids telling him, even I think think this is the most probable, but what if he finds out in a way we don't expect. Here's a thought I had since the nights watch tried to kill him do you think he could have some sort of near death experience or something and during this experience he meets and Rhaegar and Lyanna and/or Ned and they tell him the truth. Do you think George would go down this route I'm not sure, but I do think it would be more interesting then having one the reeds tell him, and not to mention a lot more emotional for Jon( also it would be a good way to actually see R and L and not just in a memory).

Sorry if its been done before but I'm curious to hear what other people think of this theory so do you think it's possible or not.

'Thormund Stark' wrote:

Hey guys I'm new here and recently I've been thinking about this. First off this is assuming R+l=J is true, and if it is how do you think he will find out I know there is the obvious route like Howland or his kids telling him, even I think think this is the most probable, but what if he finds out in a way we don't expect. Here's a thought I had since the nights watch tried to kill him do you think he could have some sort of near death experience or something and during this experience he meets and Rhaegar and Lyanna and/or Ned and they tell him the truth. Do you think George would go down this route I'm not sure, but I do think it would be more interesting then having one the reeds tell him, and not to mention a lot more emotional for Jon( also it would be a good way to actually see R and L and not just in a memory).

Sorry if its been done before but I'm curious to hear what other people think of this theory so do you think it's possible or not.

==========================================================================

Welcome to the Forum. I'm pretty new here myself and this is the first time I'm the first responder. I guess we Starks have to stick together :-)

As you surmise, there are tons of ways Jon could find out, though it seems to me that the Reeds are a favorite here. I'm for something more magical. Either through Bran-tree or some other weirwood connection or even a dream, Jon can see Ned. Ned once promised to tell him about his mother, and he should have his chance. Ned's description would be more detailed and more moving and ultimately more satisfying to readers and viewers than the Reeds. Besides, in the show it would bring back Sean Bean.

Mind, I'm skeptical about R + L + J, but it certainly prevails here and it is plausible.

First, welcome to the boards. :cheers: I hope you enjoy your experience. As for your post, I don't feel it will be the Reeds who tell Jon. I'm leaning more toward Bran and Bloodraven doing so. Perhaps there will be some dreams of Ned and his mother, down in the Winterfell crypts. H. Reed will reveal who Jon's parents are, to the rest of the north at Winterfell. There tons of threads on this matter. Perhaps one of the more experienced posters, will post some links on here for you.

Welcome to the Forum. I'm pretty new here myself and this is the first time I'm the first responder. I guess we Starks have to stick together :-)

Nope, you got Ninja'd :ninja:

I think Bran will found out via a greenseer crap, then, by someway or another, tell Jon.

ETA: Welcome, lad. :cheers:

Funny how I call you lad, and it is most likely that you're older than me.

I think or maybe just hope that he finds out when one of Dany's dragons seem to post a threat to him (either one of them comes at Jon on its own or is commanded to by Dany... but I don't see the latter happening, really), and at the moment when it would have struck, it pulls back instead. But I guess I like drama. >.>

Of course, in that scenario it just opens up a can of questions, not necessarily tells him outright who his parents are. Still, things might fall into place for him if he starts questioning if Ned was his father -- same as us. :)

He wont find out.

Then what's the point of his heritage if it isn't going to be revealed and contribute to the story?

Also, OP there are many threads about this subject.

"I dreamed about the crow again last night. The one with three eyes. He flew into my bedchamber and told me to come with him, so I did. We went down to the crypts. Father was there, and we talked. He was sad."

"And why was that?" Luwin peered through his tube.

"It was something to do about Jon, I think." The dream had been deeply disturbing, more so than any of the other crow dreams.

When the time comes, I [Ned] will tell him myself.

While Jon is in a coma he will meet an image/apparition of Ned who tells Jon the truth about his parentage, like King Arthur's foster father, Sir Ector, told Arthur about his true parentage. He may even possibly meet his mother, Lyanna.

While Jon is in a coma he will meet an image/apparition of Ned who tells Jon the truth about his parentage, like Arthur's foster father, Sir Ector, told Arthur about his true parentage. He may even possibly meet his mother, Lyanna.

Yea, I really do think there will be some magic involved in the revelation -- bones, like the trees, remember. I have an inclination for Jon 'meeting' Lyanna on some level, and that there is a mutual recognition not unlike Jaime and Joanna in AFFC.

I think it might be a three part reveal:

- Bran has a vision that's connected to it (either a wedding, or Ned praying, or the ToJ scene or something else) and wil tell Jon about it;

- someone who witnessed the events will tell Jon about it (either Howland Reed, or Wylla or someone else who knows about it);

- something in the crypts will confirm it.

Yea, I really do think there will be some magic involved in the revelation -- bones, like the trees, remember. I have an inclination for Jon 'meeting' Lyanna on some level, and that there is a mutual recognition not unlike Jaime and Joanna in AFFC.

Nice catch with the symmetry. Whether they are purely images conjured up by BR or actual apparitions of Ned and Lyanna will be left ambiguous.

• 2 months later...

Archived