LGBTQ The Next

Stubby

Continue.

Before the lame derail in the last thread, in response to this, from Robin Hill:

Maybe someone can educate me. How did T get added to LGB? On the surface, it appears to me that while they all sought social acceptance and legal equality and protection, the first three letters have to do with preference, the fourth does not.

Brook posted this:

They were there from the start

http://www.cristanwi...-was-stonewall/

[MOD]

And a reminder that this board does not accept disparaging remarks about sexual orientation, gender ID, gender based slurs in general, or hate speech. Anything of that nature in this or other threads will result in a suspension.

[/MOD]

This isn't going to mean much to non Australians - Insight on SBS is doing a show on transgender kids in a couple of weeks, and I've applied to try get on the audience for that. I've had a growing concern that the media portrayal is trans people is going to pigeon hole a couple of acceptable "corridors" for transition. Those would be where you either have always known since you were a kid and get treatment as a teen, or you always knew but fought it your whole life and end up transition late like Cate McGregor (highest ranking Australian trans person in the defense force, is the speech writer for the head of the army and was involved with the great speech he gave a couple of weeks ago on sexism in the army - video of her was in an article Brook linked in the last thread). I'm concerned that this will give a skewed impression of what a legitimate trans person is, and want to try make sure the message gets out that people realise and transition at all points through life and all are legitimate, and the best way to do this is through getting a variety of stories heard.

I wanted to try get a piece published on The Drum to that effect, but after enthusiastically doing a first draft I'm still yet to do a second, so at the very least I'll try get on Insight and out myself on national TV if the opportunity presents >_<

I also think they should probably have some acknowledgement or discussion that it is possible to get through childhood without being aware of being trans, it's not as burning obvious to everyone as it is to some.

Isn't this part 3? Or 4? Or 12? :P

ETA: Stubby, you can't count.

Well as a general LGBTQI thread yes its more than 2, my trans focused one was the first of it's kind though so I for one mourn the numero-specific title!

It's remarkably easy to "always know" one thing and "always feel" some way in some situation, and "always want" and "always visualize" and etc., without putting those all together into a bigger picture. Especially when the bigger picture resembles nothing you recognize because all the trans* you've seen in the media has been some other way.

I imagine it's also quite common to learn something at an early age that just cuts off any chance of recognizing it. I keep seeing that the internal understanding of gender usually kicks in around five or six - if I had found myself thinking that I was really a girl, then I would have dismissed it immediately as a fantasy, because it was very important, I was constantly told, to Understand The Difference Between Fantasy And Reality.

But I did want to be a ballerina.

I said the following in an unrelated thread, but I think it may be applicable here.

All, people, groups, corporations, countries are competitors, whether it be for land, wealth, power or resources. There are very few transactions where all parties benefit. The game is generally played to win the most, at the least cost. Anything else is seen as weakening the position of one's self, group corporation or country. Transactions that benefit both parties are less desirable because they transfer power or wealth to another group, thereby weakening one's own relative position. For that reason, transactions the provide the bulk of the reward to one's own group, are the ones most often followed.

Maybe that speaks ill of most of the human race, but I believe it to be a reality. Everyone wants as much of the pie as they can get, and are likely to resist whatever thwarts that. I guess that makes me a pessimist when it comes to expecting fairness, compassion or even honesty. Sorry for sounding so depressing.

It's remarkably easy to "always know" one thing and "always feel" some way in some situation, and "always want" and "always visualize" and etc., without putting those all together into a bigger picture. Especially when the bigger picture resembles nothing you recognize because all the trans* you've seen in the media has been some other way.

I imagine it's also quite common to learn something at an early age that just cuts off any chance of recognizing it. I keep seeing that the internal understanding of gender usually kicks in around five or six - if I had found myself thinking that I was really a girl, then I would have dismissed it immediately as a fantasy, because it was very important, I was constantly told, to Understand The Difference Between Fantasy And Reality.

But I did want to be a ballerina.

I agree with all of your post except the wanting to be a ballerina :P Very much the bolded part, it was the problem for me as well. I knew that trans people existed, and I deep down I knew I wasn't satisfied with myself as a male, but I was unable to reconcile myself with the way trans people were presented. This isn't even just the offensive stereotypes, but also my concern with the accepted narratives being the child that always knew for example, if you haven't always known then you tell yourself that it doesn't apply to you. That's not true, and you have your own story of realisation and growth, but until you are on this side of it, it's so hard to see it.

Robin - I'm an absurd mix of massive cynic and massive naive optimist. In cases like this the optimism wins, I think ultimately thinks will get better (as they have been doing), and people do realise on some levels that it doesn't have to be a competition - when people work together it can raise the lot of all. It does require accepting that the gain will be a lot smaller than when you take the option of screwing over others though, and I can't blame you for your cynicism. When I'm grumpy and old I might have had the optimist chiseled out of me!

Oh hahahahaha, you're so smart and funny!!! Hahahahah.

*bans*

:lmao: Terra Prime. :love:

And, on the slight chance that the banned individual will still come back to read these posts, I think it's important to point out that this is an International forum, and that people from different continents have posted in this particular thread. To talk about the "government focusing on the economy" to me implies the focus of one country's government to focus on its own economy.

I will also yet again post a link to some of our favourite logical fallacies. I like being helpful.

To OP, it is interesting that whenever one gets acceptance into one group, anything that differentiates can be a reason for us/them. My city vs. another city. My province vs. another province. My country vs. another country. The only thing that might unite us is a global attack by aliens. I say this, because major global natural disasters or environmental disasters don't seem to be doing it.

So there you have it, Karaddin. Alien overlords = universal trans acceptance. :P

I've long thought that an external them would be the only chance at semi-uniting humanity. I don't think they actually need to attack, just existing will go a long way.

There will always be lots of petty infighting though, I just hope the global Democrats and Republicans come up with snappier names.

I've just read that the British gay marriage bill will allow trans people to remain married after transitioning.

That's a brilliant addition. Bravo.

I've just read that the British gay marriage bill will allow trans people to remain married after transitioning.

In Germany, you can transition and remain married. That verdict was passed in 2008 by the Federal High Court.

In Germany, you can transition and remain married. That verdict was passed in 2008 by the Federal High Court.

L_T,

Does the FHC ruling stand by itself or has the legislature now adopted that ruling into statute?

(Please forgive my ignorance of the German system)

L_T,

Does the FHC ruling stand by itself or has the legislature now adopted that ruling into statute?

(Please forgive my ignorance of the German system)

It's a question of the basic liberties of Germans.

There's the basic liberty of getting married (in terms of hetero sexuals - don't mean any disrespect against gay couples) and the basic liberty of the freedom of action. The basic liberty of getting married is of a higher constitutional rank than the other.

So, yeah, the legislature adopted to rule in favor of marriages.

Archived