LGBTQ The Next

Stubby

I just wanted to make a post in this thread because I saw a relevant article in the neuroscience literature, and I thought it might be interesting to see a scientific perspective on transexuals. The article here is rather technical, but my interpretation of it (not guaranteed accurate) is that they found that transsexual people before surgery identified with their preferred gender when watching encounters (not really a huge surprise), and brain scans showed evidence of the stress they experience at this time as a result of feeling socially excluded. The interesting bit to me, as someone unfamiliar with this literature, is the section in the discussion when summing up previous research in the area they say:

Anatomically, it has been reported that a female-sized bed nucleus of the stria terminalis was found in the MTFs. An additional study showed that the volume and neuron number of the interstitional nucleus of the anterior hypothalamus, INAH3, of MTFs were similar to those of control females, and that those of one FTM fell within the range of control males. It has also been demonstrated that transsexualism can be associated with a different cerebral gray-matter pattern from that of controls. These findings suggest that brain anatomy may play a role in gender identity. Diffusion tensor imaging studies have also revealed that the white matter microstructural patterns in untreated FTMs are closer to the patterns of subjects who share their gender identity than those who share their biological sex.

My reading of this is that there is evidence that, particularly for MTF people, but also for FTM people, that their brains resemble the brains of their preferred sex. So the evidence from neuroscience is suggesting that 'belonging to a particular gender' isn't just a small part of one's identity that is switched-with-respect-to-biological-sex in transsexual people, but more that gender identity could be 'having a particular kind of brain' and that transsexual people have the a brain type which is most commonly possessed by the opposite sex. This is probably the closest science gets to confirming the feeling of being 'trapped in the wrong body'.

The Trouble With Depicting Trans People

An unrelenting focus on the body is a unifying theme of the stories that others tell about us. Such a focus conveys to viewers that visible, physical transition is the central feature of our lives. Left unaddressed are the much more extraordinary, personal, and crucial processes of self-recognition and self-acceptance that we work through before we even arrive at that stage. While the camera zooms in on the blossoming of our breasts, it misses the revolutionary blossoming of confidence that comes with admitting who we are to ourselves, taking the step of living openly as our gender, or choosing to seek hormone therapy. Such documentaries would rather film me shopping for bras than let me explain how in a matter of weeks, estrogen obliterated the anxiety and depression and emotional deadness that I never realized had been holding me back for my entire life.

It’s easy to write these off as minor details that would be difficult to explain to a general audience, and which aren’t necessary to cover the broad strokes of what it means to be trans. And it can easily be argued that they not only increase the acceptance of trans people in cis society, but also help confused or questioning people realize that transitioning is a real and legitimate option.

What’s not so easy is personally reassuring hundreds of trans women who face agonizing self-doubt because they never played with dolls as little girls, or didn’t know when they were 3, or still don’t feel “trapped in the wrong body.” Because of those broad strokes, they now question whether they’re even trans at all – even in the face of overwhelming discomfort with their originally assigned gender. These inaccurate depictions set such a high bar that some women, despite thinking about it every day, will put off transitioning for years while allowing testosterone to ravage their bodies just because they aren’t sure that transition is a “need” for them rather than a “want.”

That last bit you quoted is part of what I was trying to get at in the other thread about the phrase 'medically necessary'. If you're thinking about transitioning, the exclusive use of that phrase to describe transition sends the message: If you're only thinking and not already doing then you don't need it enough to deserve it. Come back when you're suicidal.

To be technically correct, the policy is that if you are a man who has had sex with another man any time since 1977 you can't give blood. The ban is not based on one's psychological identification as "gay". They don't ask you whether you identify as gay or straight, but who you've had sex with since 1977.

It's unfair because you are rejected even if you have only had sex with one other man within a monogamous relationship -- or even if you only had sex ONCE with another man in your entire life (since 1977). Those who've had sex with multiple women are not rejected.

To be technically correct, the policy is that if you are a man who has had sex with another man any time since 1977 you can't give blood. The ban is not based on one's psychological identification as "gay". They don't ask you whether you identify as gay or straight, but who you've had sex with since 1977.

It's unfair because you are rejected even if you have only had sex with one other man within a monogamous relationship -- or even if you only had sex ONCE with another man in your entire life (since 1977). Those who've had sex with multiple women are not rejected.

Depends where the women are from, actually. (And even then, there's theoretically a six-month celibacy period)

Depends where the women are from, actually. (And even then, there's theoretically a six-month celibacy period)

I believe this varies from country to country. As far as I know, in Norway there's a six-month's waiting period from each new sexual partner (regardless of sex, but could be longer if the partner is from somewhere with high risk of Hep C) where you can't give blood. (There's also a number of other health or risk factors not related to sexual activity that are taken into consideration.) But at least in Norway, gay sex is not treated differently from lesbian or straight sex.

ETA: Apparently I didn't check good enough, sexual contact between males are still considered cause for permanent exclusion.

I believe this varies from country to country. As far as I know, in Norway there's a six-month's waiting period from each new sexual partner (regardless of sex, but could be longer if the partner is from somewhere with high risk of Hep C) where you can't give blood. (There's also a number of other health or risk factors not related to sexual activity that are taken into consideration.) But at least in Norway, gay sex is not treated differently from lesbian or straight sex.

ETA: Apparently I didn't check good enough, sexual contact between males are still considered cause for permanent exclusion.

IIRC other health risks include stuff like "having lived more than a couple of weeks in most of South America, Africa, or South/Southeast Asia)"

Ok finally getting around to posting this one. It's a blog post detailing some of the discrimination trans women can face when attempting to access women's safe spaces such as shelters and includes some pretty depressing stats:

A significant portion of trans women will require the services of shelters at some point in their lives. However, 34% of trans women who had attempted to access shelters were denied entry outright. Of the respondents who did manage to access a shelter, 25% were evicted after it became known that they were trans. 55% were harassed by shelter staff or residents, and 29% of trans women were physically assaulted. 26% were sexually assaulted at shelters. Overall, 47% were treated so poorly that they chose to leave the shelter.

It also gets at a point I've kinda tried to make in the Body Image thread which is that cis women can have plenty of issues with their body, and with the desire or need to be pretty but there is a difference between that and what's felt by a trans woman, which is that a trans woman needs to attain certain "standards" of femininity and beauty or her gender itself is questioned/invalidated.

Now more upbeat, just had this blog post pop up on my facebook feed by a Perth transwoman who recently had SRS with a prominent surgeon in Thailand. He is considered one of, if not the best surgeon in the world for reassignment and is the one I intend to go to when I get to that point. Amazing how much a post can both scare me and fill me with hope!

Let them marry.

Let them adopt kids.

Let them give eachother a kiss in public.

Parades are stupid.

Not sure if i feel that way because i do not like thousands of LGBTQ rainbow bannermen marching or because i dislike parades in general.

I think the latter but i will search my feelings.

Please don't take this as a hostile response. If you read back through this thread you will see that your response is not really relevant to any of the discussion so far. I suspect from your urge to out of context contribute your feelings on LGBTQ people in general, combined with your feelings on the parades that there may be some subconscious issues with LGBTQ people. That said your willingness to concede the basic rights along with reflecting on why you don't like the parades speaks well of your chance to recognise this - I would encourage you to go ahead and reflect on said feelings.

I also am not really a fan of parades, so have only been to 1 Sydney Gas and Lesbian Mardi Gras despite being a member of the community in 1 form or another for 12 years - but I still think there is value in them, and think it's good for those who want to participate to have the parade to do so.

Let them give eachother a kiss in public.

Parades are stupid.

Not sure if i feel that way because i do not like thousands of LGBTQ rainbow bannermen marching or because i dislike parades in general.

I think the latter but i will search my feelings.

Huge probst for your honesty . I kiss you in public. :blushing:

I also am not really a fan of parades, so have only been to 1 Sydney Gas and Lesbian Mardi Gras despite being a member of the community in 1 form or another for 12 years - but I still think there is value in them, and think it's good for those who want to participate to have the parade to do so.

Did somebody say parade???

I love a parade (with all it's razzmatazz). First because all parades are fun. Second, because they get your neighbors out of their houses and you get to talk to them. Third, because a themed parade gets you and your neighbors talking about the the parades's theme. In the case of the LGBTQ community, there cannot be enough parades.

Oh, and parade parties are fun. Also, parade watching parties are fun. Costume and banner making are fun. Carried away over here.

I apologize. I actually do have some intelligent feedback to offer on the case of the trans female prisoner, but my brain is taking a break. This case was big talk in an otherwise-tolerant island in the Southern US. The bitterness involved was more over the old healthcare debate and the struggles of the working poor. I promise to do my homework and give you the scoop from here.

So I didn't want to continue the derail of the "How gay are you" thread, but I wanted to ask the question: Are transgender people super sensitive about how they are perceived/referred to? Because that's what I am getting from that thread.

As far as I know, I've never met a transgender person. Now, I think they deserve just as much respect as anyone else, and I would certainly treat them as such, but some of the responses in that thread sorta makes me feel like if I ever get to know a transgender person, I would spend a lot of times walking on eggshells around them.

Archived