LGBTQ The Next

Stubby

So, yeah, I've learned a bit from this thread. It's probably best to be extra cautious in interactions with transgender people.

My friend told me a story about when she made her transition. She went out to dinner with her family and afterward was told by her father, you were "very convincing". She responded, "no, I used to be very convincing".

Extra cautious? My friend didn't seem that fragile and I don't think most transgender people require extra caution. Just be aware that anything that even remotely suggests that they are becoming something they really aren't (couldn't phrase that better), is likely to cause some consternation.

My friend told me a story about when she made her transition. She went out to dinner with her family and afterward was told by her father, you were "very convincing". She responded, "no, I used to be very convincing".

Extra cautious? My friend didn't seem that fragile and I don't think most transgender people require extra caution. Just be aware that anything that even remotely suggests that they are becoming something they really aren't (couldn't phrase that better), is likely to cause some consternation.

Yeah, this seems to be a good summation of how one should react.

Robin, defender of political correctness? Who'd have thunk it. ;-P

Huh. That's interesting news. I hope he doesn't get shelved or sidelined for it. At least the organization is supportive, so there's hope. I wonder how the fans will react? Will we see derogatory signs during events?

I wouldn't be surprised if you get a vocal section of the crowd cheering for him in an attempt to force the company to give him a push. Before this news, they pretty much used him as a guy to make others look good.

Pretty much spot on with both points. That comment from your friend is actually a point I meant to make when the discussion of it as a performance came up in the other thread - we aren't performing our identified post transition gender, we've been performing our assigned at birth gender the whole life up to that point.

I was somewhat convincing as a guy, enough to get by with total strangers, but outside of my family everyone could see I was very feminine and most assumed I was gay. I was not convincing enough to attract straight women though, my ex-wife was my only serious relationship and we fell in love over the internet before meeting.

Pretty much spot on with both points. That comment from your friend is actually a point I meant to make when the discussion of it as a performance came up in the other thread - we aren't performing our identified post transition gender, we've been performing our assigned at birth gender the whole life up to that point.

I was somewhat convincing as a guy, enough to get by with total strangers, but outside of my family everyone could see I was very feminine and most assumed I was gay. I was not convincing enough to attract straight women though, my ex-wife was my only serious relationship and we fell in love over the internet before meeting.

karradin,

This may or may not come as a surprise, but the friend I've described in several posts did not exist in the manner I described. That was a cover story that allowed me to describe events that occured in my life since the late '70s. That's right I am/was as stealth as they get. I'm breaking every rule I live by, in posting this, but that road you are travelling isn't the easiest and you don't need some old fool telling you anything that isn't 100% true. I could have told you this in a PM, but that would kicked my paranoia into high gear.

After I moved out of my home town, I went stealth. In those days it was the only acceptable way. I made the mistake of letting two people I thought were friends, in on my background. After a bit of an argument, they outed me with a vengeance. I did some damage control and informed someone I cared about, first, so she could hear it from me rather than rumor. Apparently, that decision was correct as we've been together for almost 30 years. At times, we were so far off the grid that I felt pretty safe. I mean being on 40 acres in the middle of the boondocks was a fair amount of protection. I was in, "survival mode", and never got out of that way of thinking. Never learned anything else. I'm an old dog and don't learn new tricks, easily.

Until I saw some posts by you and others, I hadn't read about or discussed anything related to transsexual/transgender matters in 30 years. A lot has changed and I think it is too late for me to adapt. I may not feel like posting in the forums for a while, but if anyone wants to PM me, I'll answer. I cannot believe I am posting this. Sorry if I've derailed your thread.

Thank you so much for sharing Robin, I doubt I've got much to offer from my inexperienced perspective but I've always appreciated your input in these threads and am happy to talk about anything you want. If I had been where I am 30 years ago I almost certainly would have made the same choices, the world has changed (for the better as far as I'm concerned) and it's opened up options where there weren't any before.

Wow. Color me surprised. Just goes to show that everyone has more than one side to them, eh?

And brava, Ser Robin. Thank you for sharing that information with us.

Archived