LGBTQ The Next

Stubby

I'm surprised by the reaction because I don't think bravery entered into it. I just felt that if I was to have any valid input into the subject of this thread, it had to be free of pretense. I won't lie. I didn't get much sleep last night, my body appears to be in fight or flight mode and my blood pressure is up ten points, this morning.

Don't worry, I'm still the same person whose social and political views make people cringe, though I might no longer have the need to be as, "over the top", in presenting them. I suppose I'll have to replace the, "Ser", in my forum name, to eliminate any remaining confusion.

That's a point, is Ser a gender-neutral honorific? I had half a thought that Brienne and Dacey were "ser"s, but someone with more encyclopedic knowledge than I will have to answer that one.

That's a point, is Ser a gender-neutral honorific? I had half a thought that Brienne and Dacey were "ser"s, but someone with more encyclopedic knowledge than I will have to answer that one.

Don't know how he meant it in the books, but when George knighted us women in LA he asked if we preferred "Ser" or "Dame". Three of us went with Ser, and I have used it in my name off and on since then.

Robin, I hope you know you don't have much to fear from this board, at least not on this issue.

Robin, I hope you know you don't have much to fear from this board, at least not on this issue.

Fairly sure. Most of my discomfort comes from both my original career training and the best available information from when I made my transition. Both those things scream, "reveal nothing", at me.

Bah, why stop there? Set yourself up as a deity. :P

I did...in the, "If You Were God", thread.

R'hollor Robin?

Way too pale to be a Red God.

Awesome. Just awesome. Thanks, Robin. :)

I would like to add that people in many different situations put themselves in a defensive shell or into flight mode for their own protection. I know that it may not seem like a desire to escape from an event in one's past sounds like a situation of equivalent gravity, in all likelihood it's not, to changing one's gender, but to the individual who goes that route whatever triggered it may have been just as important to them.

I tried to write that as clearly as possible. I guess what I'm trying to say is that many of us have been through events that put us in the same mode. The reaction may or may not have lasted as long, but there is probably more empathy out there than you are aware of. Throughout my career I have been in jobs where people came to me and confided stories from their lives that were pretty dramatic, and I've been through an event or two in my own life. You just can't always tell from looking at your neighbour, even friends, what they have lived through or are currently coping with.

Back to the earlier discussion, my friend's former son is at the end stages of transitioning to being a daughter. (Surgery is looming.) I think I've caught myself calling her a he only once this past year, it just slipped out, but I've known her all my life and while the original imprint has almost faded out of my brain, something remains. Last week I told her she had become a lovely girl, and we had a discussion about the changes in her confidence levels. She used to hide herself a lot, she was very scared about meeting people, she was frightened of judgement, I believe, but as her body has transformed she has become more relaxed, more comfortable, and in a great frame of mind for the surgery she will have to undergo. She's 24, and has actively pursued this course since high school, and though surrounded by a loving family and a strong network of LGBT friends, things haven't been easy (sorry, understatement of the thread, right?). I can imagine how hard it would be without that support.

Are you kidding? That has been one of the most enigmatic board mysteries ever since she joined up and refused to confirm either way. And now I sorta feel bad about that. Oh well.

:cheers:

Well, if I'd indicated I was male, it would have offended me, no end. If I indicated female, it was closer to identifying me, which I was trying to avoid. By selecting not telling, I realized it would raise questions, especially in conjunction with an androgynous name like Robin. I didn't think it would be a big deal.

In that case, is there anyone here that remembers The Duchess in NY's West Village? If by any chance, your were there the evening NY's Alcoholic Beverage Commission came in and removed all the liquor, we might have met.

Why did they remove the liquor?

Were they trying to shut down the establishment?

Archived