Will anyone dare to marry Marge after Tommen dies?

Inquisitor Glokta

I tend to think she will hang, but there is a modest chance she will survive Tommen.

Interesting possibility mentioned above: If Tommen isn't killed by fAegon, but dies of apparently unrelated cause (illness, etc.) someone on the Lannister side might get the bright idea of dealing with fAegon by marrying him to Margaery, expecting he will thus be doomed. But someone would doubtlessly warn him of her propensity for widowhood, and he has Arianne and Dany to look forward to anyway.

I expect that, if she survives Tommen, she may take holy vows, or at least press her father to not marry her off again until the 7K have settled down.

Margaery's Dowry still includes Mace's Big-Ass (largely intact) Kingmaking Army, so yes Marge will still have no problem finding suitors.

But she, and her family, have something even more important and attractive than that: Food.

Remember the ADWD epilogue: Forget "Winter Is Coming", Winter is HERE. And everyone else has been fighting instead of squirreling grain away. The only portion of the kingdom that could even begin to supplement The Reach as Breadbasket of the Empire is The Riverlands, and The Riverlands have been pillaged to oblivion (as they invariably are in the history of Westeros War).

The Tyrells are second in wealth only to the Lannisters, but the Tyrell wealth comes from agriculture, and that's way more valuable in the onset of winter, since You Can't Eat Gold. Recall Bronn's lecture to Tyrion and Varys in the show about what really kills people during a siege, and the apocryphal tale of highborn ladies trading all their jewels for a couple potatoes.

The Tyrells are still very attractive and important to anybody looking to form a ruling coalition and grab the throne. Hell, they're why Renly thought he could win. So yes, as soon as Marge is "back on the market" so to speak there'll be as many offers are there are pretenders.

Although I *DO* think Faegon VI will be the person to finally say "No" to Margaery.

I agree with Robin. The Reach has something everyone will need and soon. Fighting men means crops don't get planted. Fighting men means the destruction of crops. If Marge survives her trial and Tommen dies, she will have no problem in naming her price.

I agree with you that most of Highgarden's power in the upcoming books may come from their massive stores of food. However, do we know how much they've actually saved and not just wasted in lavish spending sprees? The folks from the reach may not have 'Winter is Coming' imprinted in their minds like in other kingdoms. I am of the mind that the kingdom with the most food that will be most prepared for winter is the Vale. The Vale is stated as some of the most fertile land in the Seven Kingdoms, and I think they understand winter and all it's necessary preperations better than the Reach.

We've already seen guys lining up to marry the Red Widdow in D&E and she had been married 5 times already. Plus, Margaery is from Highgarden and comes with all its power and gold. She will have no problem finding another good match.

The key to surviving the marriage curse of Margaery Tyrell is sleeping with her. Have the fastest wedding ever then get it in asap. If that doesnt work, at least you got to sleep with her first.

I agree with you that most of Highgarden's power in the upcoming books may come from their massive stores of food. However, do we know how much they've actually saved and not just wasted in lavish spending sprees? The folks from the reach may not have 'Winter is Coming' imprinted in their minds like in other kingdoms. I am of the mind that the kingdom with the most food that will be most prepared for winter is the Vale. The Vale is stated as some of the most fertile land in the Seven Kingdoms, and I think they understand winter and all it's necessary preperations better than the Reach.

A good point, but I think by far the bigger threat to The Reach/Highgarden's food stores -- and perhaps more to the point, their capacity to distribute the food from it's collection centers to all those soon-to-be hungry mouths -- is the current Ironborn Invasion. Any waterway that might be a shipping lane currently has reavers camping out waiting for plunder (like a cargo ship full of grain, for instance) to come their way

If the Vale is better prepared for the onset of Winter it's because they don't have to kick the Greyjoys out of their supply lines. Although they do have the threat of the unified Hill Tribes with their shiny new Lannister-bought weapons and armor are still out there, somewhere, a dangling plot thread just waiting to be re-grasped... so who knows.

As with all things proposed on these boards, ultimately, We Will See.

Maybe she doesn't want to be married. Her first husband was clearly gay, she could be queen and wouldn't have to actually BE Renly's queen. Ideal partnership if she's not intetested in a real relationship. She helped kill Joffrey, sure he was a lunatic so maybe this doesn't fit as cleanly. And poor Tommen is a baby. He's not old enough to be interested in sex. Maybe just maybe she doesn't want to be in a relationship. A possibility.

Maybe she doesn't want to be married. Her first husband was clearly gay, she could be queen and wouldn't have to actually BE Renly's queen. Ideal partnership if she's not intetested in a real relationship. She helped kill Joffrey, sure he was a lunatic so maybe this doesn't fit as cleanly. And poor Tommen is a baby. He's not old enough to be interested in sex. Maybe just maybe she doesn't want to be in a relationship. A possibility.

That may be true, but this is getting creepy.I don't think that she married Renly because he was gay, it was a political marriage. If Joffrey had been a kind and honorable man, I don't think she would have killed him either. I can definitely buy that she doesn't want to be married, but her actions could just as easily be explained as political expediency; after all, she probably could have gotten away with not marrying Tommen if she really insisted, but her family was in an unseemly haste to marry Tommen even though the Lannisters (mostly Cersei) were clamoring for a delay.

Archived